So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"

During the last 2 panics I was still shooting when everyone else was dry.

The funny thing is that hardly no one was dry. Everyone gun owner I know ended the ammo drought with more ammo stockpiled than ever before. People who’d have a couple boxes of ammo previously now had a case of .22 and numerous boxes of every caliber they owned.

Wrong. Previous panics were driven by fear of confiscation or impending bans on future purchases. This cycle of panic buying is based on actual chaos in the streets.
Accepting for the sake of argument that the general REASON for the panic is different, I would argue that it still FEELS exactly the same.

I thought it was common knowledge by now that 9mm and .22LR are the first to go in a crisis. I've developed two rules:

1. Diversify. Try to have a different gun or conversion barrel for a gun you like in a variety of calibers.

2. Keep a reasonable amount of ammo on hand. Whether it's a crisis, an oppressive law, the rumor of an oppressive law, or a bad election; we've seen a lot of runs on ammo over the years.

While I've had to limit recreational range trips, I've been very happy to have been prepared throughout the current crisis. The only inconvenience was toilet paper, paper towels, and family members who don't want to "rough it".

Accepting for the sake of argument that the general REASON for the panic is different, I would argue that it still FEELS exactly the same.
Yes.
I thought I had replied with almost that exact statement yesterday, but apparently not.

Cause != Effect

This started for a different reason than usual, but the panic buying and hoarding feels the same.

Today I just bought 200rnds of normal priced Gold Dot 223 62gr. In times of trouble, should be the most sought after round. In fact, it's 55gr FMJ range only ammo that is in and out of stock at cabelas on a minute by minute basis.

So whatever the rationale if it's panic buying, it isn't logical.

People buy the most of what they can afford. It's not illogical at all.

So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"

Another reason to own a 10mm, even if you own 9mms and/.40s. ;)

As far as revolver ammo goes, I've seen plenty of boxes of .41 & .44 Mag, and .45LC.

No .38 Spec. or .357 Mag though. :confused:

I have over 1,000 rounds each of good defensive 357 Mag, 380, 12 gauge 00 buck and slugs, and .22 mag on my shelves. And 5,000 rounds of .22LR. And at least 500 rounds each of .44 mag, .41 Mag and 38 Special. Much of it I waited a month or more to be notified that it was back in stock. Much of it I back-ordered. I also have a good stock of 45 Colt from my cowboy action shooting days, which are capable of doing a job on a bad guy in a pinch. I have no need for 9MM or 10MM because I don't own one and never will ... but why is off-topic for this thread. Point of this post is that ammo is available if you are willing to wait for it. I will also say that I haven't bought a single box of it at my LGS's because they NEVER have any ammo I want. As for my rationale all I'm going to say is it is not panic and that it is totally logical.

Last edited:
1. Diversify. Try to have a different gun or conversion barrel for a gun you like in a variety of calibers.

2. Keep a reasonable amount of ammo on hand. Whether it's a crisis, an oppressive law, the rumor of an oppressive law, or a bad election; we've seen a lot of runs on ammo over the years.

This, exactly this...

I don't get the question on this thread...

You would see a lot more posts (from those of us around long enough to really remember the past shortages/runs) along the lines of 9mm being the first to disappear. The only place you'd see people talking about 9mm being available when nothing else is, would be those strange gun forum dystopia dreams some have of civil war when they talk of government stockpiles of 9mm and 5.56 making it the only ammo available. How? I'm not sure. If everything is banned (or gone), what do they envision? Having government forces recognize you as one of the good guys, and things are so bad that the troops/federal law enforcement enlist you as an ally and give you ammo? Or worse, taking it off the bodies of dead feds/soldiers in some civil war? Both very unlikely scenarios, so we are back to, anyone who has been paying attention knows that 9mm is the first to disappear.

So, back to the themes of many of these answers...

Either spend a few bucks when ammo is available again and stock up for the (inevitable) next shortage, or buy guns in a few calibers, including a few less popular calibers that are less likely to disappear so fast. Or, like me, do both. In pistols I have 9mm, .380, .45acp and .40S&W, in revolvers I have less variety, but I have .45LC, .357mag and .38spl. I also have a small stock of 9mm, .40S&W and .38spl (plus .45LC and .38/.357 reloading components). If you stock up on ammo, 9mm is probably easiest since it is the cheapest, and being a tad smaller, it takes up a little less space than .45 or .40S&W.

Record background checks and a big percentage of 1st time buyers. I would suspect 9mm to be #1 pistol ammo and 380 second. 45acp, 38sp and 357 honorable mention. Long gun is 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, 30/06 and 30/30. Shotgun Slugs and Buck shot in 12 & 20g. And let’s not forget the most useful the 22lr. Think there are several hundred presently quasi popular cartridges, some fairly common but now days they are making so many different ones cartridges like 300Sav, 35Rem, 32 Win and HVs like 243, 270 ect can be hard to come by.

From my observations, if you want a caliber that is always available, go with 6.5 creedmor for rifle and 10mm for handgun.

Those are about the only calibers I see still available.

Agreed with whoever said every gun owner they knew of had too much ammo after a shortage.

There is no lack of fear of having people buy more than is reasonable.

Agreed with whoever said every gun owner they knew of had too much ammo after a shortage.

There is no lack of fear of having people buy more than is reasonable.

Neither of those sentences make any sense. Too much ammo? For what? If my rent is paid and my family isn't starving, I don't have too much ammo. I also stocked up before/between the panic(s). I have what I want and what my anticipated need is: I have enough, for now. Who says what's reasonable? Be careful of what limits you're implying.

One thing about 10mm - I can handload regular "old tech" JHP bullets like Nosler 150/180 and they will expand nicely at 1,400 and over 1,200 fps - I've tested.

10mm velocity be like that.

Only difference the shortages have made for me is I'm now using SRP for my .357 and .38 (out of a .357) and saving the SPP for the other loads. I'll start worrying when I'm down to my last 1k of pistol and 1k of rifle primers and last few pounds of powder. Had to start using H335 for the .45/70, can't find any H4198 on the market. Other than that good to go.

I just go to my cans of ammo that I have been filling for years when I need to shoot. When the .22 shortage hit I had over 30,000, 223 today no sweat....just gave 500 9mm to a friend who had none.....Be prepared....I remember from my scout days.

Out of curiosity, has there been a run on Berdan primers yet? I seem to remember somebody saying you COULD reload steel cases, it was just a PITA.

For us guys with Makarovs, AK's, SKS's, and things like the roller-block guns that happily eat 308 steel, it may one day become a useful item.

While there is a shortage of easily available ammo locally, if you look online you can still find them.

Just the last two weeks I found 1000 rounds of 556 for $500, 500 rounds of 38 special for $169, and 500 rounds of 9mm for $170.

I walked into a store yesterday and purchased six boxes of 9mm, six of .40, and one of .44 mag.

Didn't realize there was supposed to be an ammo shortage.

Back