So How Many Here Spin The Cylinder After Reloading A Revolver

Spinning

Yes I do spin the cylinder...when I am teaching/breaking a flinching habit with a new shooter...so they will not know if the next round will go off...not knowing how many rounds I loaded....
of course...there is a way to do it without damaging the firearm...

The only time I "roll the cylinder" is when I load my revolver with a Varmit Shell
to make sure that the next shot is the right shell. Other than that, no.

On occasions I like to throw four .38 and one .357 into my SP101. I'll spin it to mix it up but I make sure that the cylinder has stopped before closing.

I had a guy flip closed the cylinder on my S&W 617 once.
I told him not to do it again...........................He asked: "does it hurt the gun"?...............I told him: "No, it hurts the A hole that does it"...................................he got the message!:)

YES ... one gentile 360 degree turn after loaded on a SA and cylinder is loaded and closed on a DA

Even factory loads can have a high primer, thick head or a flake of unburnt powder under a rim holding the cartridge out of battery

Always did it with my duty gun (Sheriffs Dept M28S&W) ..yes years ago but it was my butt on the line

Always do it on my 44MAG M629 when in bear country ..again my butt on the line

Now an old civilian and do it on my 642 CCW ..again i consider my butt is on the line

I have seen revolvers with all of the above calamities at one time or the other (other officers or shooters) and a couple you could not even open the cylinder up (one was a moon shape piece of lead under the rim)

Remember that there is only ONE place on many revolvers that the headspace is exact and that is under the firing pin ...so some revolvers a bad round could be in the 3rd hole coming up and not lock (jam) up until under ..or trying to get under the firing pin

Think it thru if your butt is on the line or in a competitive match

Just saying

Bear

I only spin the cylinder of other people's Colt Pythons at gun shows.

Ok, so I lied, I only dream about doing this to people who's Pythons display a price tag of $3,500 or more.:D

Back