So How Many Here Spin The Cylinder After Reloading A Revolver

It's important when using your 1rst gen SAA as a pulley for a zip line, that the line not be a steel cable and the weight you put on it not exceed 200lbs or so.

:(

I confess to occasionally spinning the cylinder on my SAA with the loading gate open or with the hammer at half cock. I can't help it! The sounds it makes is sweet music to my ears! In the movie, "The Good the Bad and the Ugly", Tuco goes into a gun shop and disassembles several Colts and puts all the cylinders, frames etc; back to gather ,then holds it up to his ear and spins the cylinder to hear that every part is fitting together juust right! I think of that scene every time I spin my cylinder. Do I need an intervention?:D

Driftwood has it right.

No need for spinning a D.A. cyl. (No safe way anyway since there's no half cock).

A heavy hand spring (in a S.A.) may cause some wear at some time but a correctly tensioned hand spring (flat or coil) will be negligent to nonexistent. For this reason, I certainly spin my cylinders. All my shooting is with reloads and I always check clearance with a spin. Not a thing in the world wrong with it.

Rightside, you should always have the hammer in the half cock notch when turning a cylinder. That's what that position is for. Holding the hammer back "just far enough" is a sure way to put a "beauty ring" around your cylinder!

The best rule S.A. owners should have as far as handling a S.A. should be to never touch the cylinder unless the hammer is in half cock. Otherwise, let the gun turn the cylinder!! Always!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

What do you mean by spinning the cylinder? Spinning the cylinder isn't going to hurt anything on a DA assuming the cylinder is open, but flicking it shut can cause damage whether spinning or not.

I give my SA revolvers a gentle spin after I unload them, just to make sure that all of the cylinders are empty.

So How Many Here Spin The Cylinder After Reloading A Revolver

n1crh.gif

Probably the best answer for those not intimate with the how's and why's is: no or never or weird looks . . . . .
I'm good with that . . . . . Lol!!

What I mean by that is, better to err on the side of caution than turn your revolver into a wreck because of "cool".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited:
Hmmmm . . . . . For Colt S.A.s and the copies of, going to full cock from half cock (the loading position) is how to fire "immediately ". Otherwise, from full cock down to an empty chamber or the safety notch or from half cock (on single actions prior to S.A.A.s) down to a safety pin between the chambers (on cap guns prior to about 1850, probably to an uncapped cone or non-loaded chamber).

Allowing the hammer down (even to the safety notch) from half cock leaves the cylinder free to be turned, putting a nice "beauty ring" on the cylinder (because the bolt (latch for Rugers) is against the cylinder at that point).

Perhaps the Caution above is "lawyer speak" for Ruger to adhere to after their "tussle " with the . . . . . a hem . . . . "other side" . . .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

If you're talking about sending a DA revolver's cylinder through a big old spin and slapping it shut with a big old slam, that's just plain dumb.

The question is, what possible benefit from, or reason for it is there? none. Sure, it looks cool and feels cool and sounds cool, but what the heck? since when does looking cool present a good reason to do something like that? it's pointless, and it should be apparent that it's probably going to cause a bit of loosening throughout the years.

So, it comes down to why would you do it, and there's no good reason to do it, and the question of why you shouldn't, and there are several reasons why you shouldn't.

This is no different than some kid doing burnouts with the family minivan. Looks cool (seriously debatable) but is totally pointless and causes probable excess wear on the vehicle.

markdozier said:
i spin my cylinders several hundred times a minute.... in my car engine.

What kind of car do you drive that has spinning cylinders?

All mine have spinning cranks and cams, a buddies' Wankel has a spinning rotor and crank.

Do you perhaps drive some type of WW1 airplane?

Last edited:
Why would you do this?
The only I time I do this is when cleaning and oiling to make sure the cylinder turns freely!
I see no other reason! ;)

many here spin the cylinder after reloading a revolver

If you're talking about after the loaded cylinder's closed, I do, in fact, give the cylinder of my S&W617 .22LR a "check spin" before shooting.

The chambers are pretty tight (especially after it's been shot a bit), and a check spin insures the rounds are fully seated. Otherwise, high rounds significantly affect the trigger pull.

I've seen competition shooters do the same with their CF revos as a final check for for high primers (I don't do that because my match guns all have bobbed hammers, so it's really not safe to check spin by partially pulling the trigger).

I don't SPIN my revolver cylinders, but I do "roll" them.

Like Driftwood, I roll my SA cylinder to detect high primers, thick rims, or fouling causing binding. I can't count the number of times I have been "educated" in the "Load one, skip one, load four." ritual. I just go right on and insert five, roll the cylinder to be sure it is free, then locate the empty to set the hammer down on.

Like Mr Borland, I would prefer to be able to do it on DA, but my best DA revolver had the hammer spur cut off. I carefully gauge its ammo and brush out the chambers between match stages.

Back