So How Many Here Spin The Cylinder After Reloading A Revolver

Briandg

Wankel? Just guessing...

VERY CLEVER! HOLY COW - a muzzzzzle loader from the 60's. (Helped a guy deliver one to Detroit from Iowa City 40 years ago MOL.) :D OOPS - just did a little research and discovered vast improvements in the modern Wankel. :o

Last edited:
I always take mine for a bit of a spin. It's the coolest part of a revolver. I understand that it can wear the claw. It would take a lot of spinning. It is made of metal not balsa wood.

I only load five rounds into my revolvers, so spinning would fail to index the cylinder properly.

Why five rounds? Because that's a row in my cartridge box.
And five shot strings were always the drill in matches.

But yes, I do when leaving the range, twice around the Maypole to be certain its clear.

Bob Wright

Nope. When I bought my 1st revolver it was a used 357 and I couldn't hit a can at 15 yards well one hit the rest were flyers so I took it to the local gun shop and explained what it was doing and it took him all but 10 seconds to tell and show me what was wrong,you could see the frame twist and he said it was from slamming the cylinder shut,that was 34 yrs ago so to this day I don't slam or spin the cylinder,might put a leash on it and take it for a walk around but that's about it.

Whenever I load up my SD revolver with carry ammo (and before closing the cylinder), I give the cylinder a spin and say a little prayer.

I don't have to do it often, just anytime after I have shot practice ammo and have to put the carry ammo back in. I don't get to practice all that much...

Been doing this over 20 years. No problems yet.

Spin/slam can damage the hand and torque the yoke out of alignment. I will spin the cylinder on my SA to make sure it's loaded.

After closing the cylinder I pull the hammer back slightly to release the cylinder stop and rotate the cylinder all the way around cause my dads revolver locked up because of some cci .38/.357 rounds wouldn't allow the cylinder to spin all the way around.
I used to spin it and flick my wrist to shut it but after I did that enough to loosen the cylinder assembly screw and lost it and the plunger I stopped and now treat it better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mine just spins by itself...

taur_spin18_clean2.jpg

In light of some of the recent threads started by the op I suggest that there be an age limit or IQ test before you can start a thread.

When loading for a stage in Steel Challenge or USPSA matches I always spin the cylinder to make sure I have no high primers. I don't spin it violently but enough that it goes around after I close the cylinder.

I do not slam the cylinder closed.

Negative on the cylinder spinning, but when I'm shooting my handloads with light powder charges, I like to point the muzzle up and shake the gun a bit before every shot to get the powder to settle to the rear of the case.

OK, some funny responses in here.

Doogle, you get the prize for the illustration.

That said, the original question did leave a lot to the imagination.

Roashooter, how about more tightly defining your question?

Back