So How Many Here Spin The Cylinder After Reloading A Revolver

No not here, if I do I won't close it until it stops spinning. It can damage the claws

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Can't say that I do. I will open the loading gate (or on some SAs put on half-cock) and spin the cylinder to check for empty before handing over to someone else for inspection. But never a high speed zzzzzzz, and then repeat. Also, never close gate (or go to full cock on traditional SAs) while cylinder is still moving. But hey, each to their own :) . So far .... it is a free country :) .

I spin the cylinder then flip it closed like on the movies!! It makes a neat "c-c-c-c-click!!" sound!!

I had a friend who I took to the range once who did that. I asked him nicely to stop and told him why (that it can damage the crane) and he still did it (he told me I was overreacting and it would be fine - funny how a guy whose knowledge of guns is from video games and movies thought he knew more than me about my guns). The second time I simply demanded he not do it and told him that since it was my gun, my rules and he didn't have to agree, just had to respect my wishes as the owner of the gun. He kept doing it :(. Like I said, I took him to the range once (he never could understand why I wouldn't invite him again :rolleyes: ).

Never on a SA and rarely on a DA

I spin the cylinder then flip it closed like on the movies!! It makes a neat "c-c-c-c-click!!" sound!!
By now, we know you well enough to know you are pulling our leg. Just want to make sure everyone knows this. .... ;)

However, there are times when I "spin" the cylinder but ever so slightly or just enough to check for concentricity and abuse. There are other check that I make and always ask the seller permission. If he doesn't allow these minor, non-abusive checks, I walk away as it raises a red-flag with me. ..... :p

Like I said, I took him to the range once (he never could understand why I wouldn't invite him again ).
Yes, I've had this happen to me before and stopped it on the spot. One of these guys, was a Preacher. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Howdy

With a double action revolver, there is no point at all to spinning the cylinder, since you can see all the chambers while the cylinder is still open. Once the cylinder is closed, you cannot spin it. Of course in the movies, guys always spin the open cylinder on a double action revolver, and it makes a ratcheting sound like a single action revolver when they do it. But in real life, there is no sound if you spin the cylinder of a double action revolver.

I do know some guys in CAS who spin the cylinder of a single action revolver after they have loaded it. They are checking for high primers. A high primer will often cause resistance to the cylinder rotating, and since CAS is a timed competition they do not want anything to slow down their performance. Even so, they will give it a very gentle spin to make sure the cylinder turns once, they will not give it that super spin you see in the movies.

Spinning the cylinder of a single action revolver gently will not cause undo wear to the hand or the ratchet teeth. Spinning it like you see on the movies over and over again will eventually cause wear. And it you cock the hammer while the cylinder is spinning fast the sudden stop will eventually cause peening to the stop slots on the cylinder.

I'll rotate the cylinder (not spin it) when making sure it's unloaded, but that's as close as I get to spinning it. There's really no need to spin it unless you're trying to pretend you're in a movie, or just think it looks cool I guess.

I spin the cylinder when I have a partially loaded cylinder and I want to not know when the revolver will discharge as a training exercise to discover and correct for the tendency to flinch. Done correctly, it's harmless. If a person learned about firearms handling from TV, then they have a lot of unlearning to do just to be safe. The most dangerous part of any gun is the nut behind the trigger.

Back