Snub to Short Barrel .357 magnum

I have the .357's...but I will take my .44spec Bulldog over ANY of them.
And at a price point much more in keeping with the original post on this thread than all the $700-$1000 guns being suggested that are the complete opposite of what the OP was looking for.
Keeping with that parameter, and away from the $$$$ glamour guns, some of the top contenders are Taurus 605, EAA Windicator, Charter Arms Mag Pug, or as mentioned go for a bigger hole in the target with the Charter Bulldog.
Heck, for the price of a lot of the guns mentioned the OP could choose two, and some cases close to three from Charter, Taurus, or EAA.

IMO, price is not the first concern. Reliability and comfort of carry should come first. After all you only pay $$s once but the other is with you evert day. Be patient and carry what you have until you can get comfort and reliability. The S&W 360 pd would be my first choice for what you discribe. For the lady you can load up with 38 +p and use 357s yourself when you carry.
Smith has just put on the market a 360 with an unfluted ss cylinder a less then 15 oz.
The M60 Pro Shop would be my other choice if I wanted a 3" barrel.

In the past few years I have picked up 3 used K frame Smiths at $250 plus shipping and transfer fees. Two are 4 inches and one is 6 inches. They were purposely selected to have pencil tapered barrels. Hacksaws are cheap. The next one I get will have a heavy barrel so I can drill and tap it. There are those that call me Bubba.

IMO, price is not the first concern. Reliability and comfort of carry should come first.
Yes, however the point of this thread, as ecpressed by the OP, is a suggestion of something not in the line of expensive classic S&W, or Kimber revolvers.
Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
There are choices in between that offer acceptable reliability without having to break the bank to buy one.
That I believe is what the OP is actually seeking information about.

Another vote for the SP-101, compact for carrying, durable and certainly can handle .357 or .38 +p. Be sure to practice with it, the trigger always seems heavy to me and takes a few rounds to get used to again.

I need some ideas on a DA/SA (no DAO) .357 magnums (or .38+p) I can carry concealed while camping or hiking. It would also be loaded with +p in the house for my girlfriend when I am not there. A short barrel isn't a must. But I don't really want a 4 inch barrel or longer.

I am a big dude and I have carried concealed long enough to know what works where. Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?

Spending more money will (normally) get you a better and more reliable gun. You're trying to hit a fine line. Cheap enough to be affordable, good enough to be reliable.

I would look for a 2" or 3" SP101. After careful inspection, same thing in a Taurus 605. Used is OK, after close inspection.

I'd suggest a fairly available gun. S&W model 13 or 65 round butt with a 3'' barrel. It might require a bit of searching but there are plenty of them out there

Just saw a GP100 at gun show with a REAL 2 1/2 barrel!

Yep, just like a S&W 66 Combat Magnum snub! Interesting. With DAO hammer and rounded grips it would be a dandy.

Deaf

I'd stay very far away from any Taurus. Sure they're more affordable, but what you save in initial payment you will make up in down time when something like the transfer bar breaks. Taurus knows this is an issue but does nothing to change the metalurgy or heat treatment. On a more minor point, I found it hard to use a speedloader with those huge rubber grips that come on a Taurus. Hard to feed, hard to eject? Short ejector rod? Poor lockwork? Pass.

Like James K suggested, I want a full length ejector rod and if I had to buy new, would lean towards the S&W Model 60 in .357 with a 3" bbl. Just shoot .38 specials in it but it's nice to be able to eject the empties.

I was looking through an auction sight to make sure I had not lied to you about cheap K frame Smiths being readily available. Problem is I found one I couldn't help but bid on. I missed that one but there were several at less than $300. There were a lot for more than that too. I have had Colt's, Rossis, Tauri, Rugers, Glock etc; however I am kinda settled on Smiths now. Hack saws are cheap!

Back