Snub to Short Barrel .357 magnum

NoSecondBest, you are right. You're not missing any thing, I am. I envision firearms taking extra abuse in camping/hiking scenarios. The possibility is certainly there, but like you said, when not in use the gun is holstered. It is being used for self defense not pounding tent stakes.

I envision firearms taking extra abuse in camping/hiking scenarios. The possibility is certainly there, but like you said, when not in use the gun is holstered. It is being used for self defense not pounding tent stakes.

I wear mine in a side holster several days a week while working on my property and while fishing for trout. I have plenty of bears and plenty of trespassers, both of which are of some concern, but mostly the trespassers. I expect that if I have any problems while woods carrying it will be going under while trout fishing and getting a good soaking. That's why stainless was chosen here. I have jumped bears by the stream a number of times but they usually either run away or jump in and swim across and then run out the other side. I've never really been aggressively approached by a bear, but I've had sows with cubs mock charge me and then turn and leave with the cubs. I'm somewhat comfortable in their presence but always aware that after enough encounters something may happen requiring the need for a gun. Full power mag loads are the order of the day in that scenario. The Ruger SP101 fills the bill completely. I can't even think of one feature lacking on this gun and I'm a SW fan to the bone. This gun just seems to work for me.

Less expensive ....Taurus 605 SS model .... I purchased mine at Academy Sports ...325.00

Another option is a Charter Arms 357mag ..

Skeeter Skelton became disenchanted with the 2.5" M19-too much muzzle blast and no easier to conceal than a 4". As he noted the crucial factor in concealing a revolver is the cylinder.

Well yes but... have you ever sat down driving a car with a 4 inch K frame on your hip? I can say from experience the 2 1/2 K's are much easier to carry. It's not just concealment but being able to function in a modern world where you sit down much of the day.

Deaf

Get a S&W Model 65 with 3" Barrel. Great compromise. My girlfriend fell in love with mine 1st time she tried it. Now it's "hers". started her out with light wadcutters and now she handles +p with no problem. Just put on a set of absorbing grips like Hogue monogrips. 3" gives some stability and helps with recoil but small enough to carry

Speaking for myself, I've never had a problem ejecting .357 length brass with the shorter ejector rod. I actually carried a 2.5" Model 19 on duty while on embassy duty decades ago. I was trained incessantly to hold the cylinder pointed straight up and smacking (not pushing) down on the ejector rod. Maybe not the ideal way to reload if you care about protecting the brass for reloading, but cases never failed to fall on the ground. I guess reloading our own ammo was something the State Dept didn't care about :)

Anyway, I've been a fan of the snubs ever since. They conceal well too. Here's my vintage M19-3 and a more recent 686+ that I picked up last summer.

pairof357s.jpg

I'm curious. Of those that suggested S&W or Ruger, how many of you knock em' around in the woods camping and hiking?
I'm not being critical of the suggestions or the brands. S&W and Ruger are quality with history and rep to back it up.

My .45LC S&W 625MG goes camping with me when it isn't too big for the trip (i.e. not on summer camping trips to crowded camp grounds). I don't take my S&W 65LS because it is no longer in production and prices have gotten crazy (plus it is my 1st .357mag, and the first of my handguns I really loved so there is some sentimental value going on) so I baby it. Actually, the not using the 65LS except at the range is why I so strongly want to add the 3" S&W 686 Plus so I can have another revolver that I can actually use and risk somewhat (though the extra round doesn't hurt with the 686 Plus either).

I need some ideas on a DA/SA (no DAO) .357 magnums (or .38+p) I can carry concealed while camping or hiking. It would also be loaded with +p in the house for my girlfriend when I am not there. A short barrel isn't a must. But I don't really want a 4 inch barrel or longer.

I am a big dude and I have carried concealed long enough to know what works where. Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect gun:
S&W 586 L-Comp
3" ported barrel
7 shots

Price: Not so perfect for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
Seems an important point has been missed with all the $700+ S&W suggestions.
I was reluctant at first to mention the EAA Windicator because I had no personal experience with them. Now I do. I bought one a week ago, and gave it a pretty good run through. Accuracy is as good as any 2" barrel gun I have shot. The trigger is decent, and quite capable of SD use in addition to just some fun plinking. I wasn't planning on buying one when I went to my friend's place for the weekend, but one of our usual evil gun shop trolling areas just happen to have one. So I hadn't brought any 357 Magnum ammo, and with what I already have in storage I didn't really want to buy any more. But I did have some discontinued CCI Blazer Aluminum 38 Spcl 158gr. LSWCHP ( FBI load).
While they definitely get your attention in my light wright LCR, the 28+oz, 6 shot Windicator tamed them quite well.
Just throwing it out there, but at $335 OTD your looking at half of price of a S&W, and not much more than half of the Rugers that have been mentioned.

with .357 you need a fairly long ejector throw. That is one problem with short barrel revolvers and why I consider 3" a minimum
I have largely evolved away from double-action revolvers save for some J-frames and a couple of 2.25 inch SP101s, but it seems to me that the ejector rod on a 3 inch SP101 is exactly the same length as on a 2.25 inch version. I can see it would be an issue for a 1.87 inch J-frame which is likely why .357 inch J-frames all have at least a 2.125 inch barrel (at least I think so). I don't know if longer Smiths have longer rods as I don't own them but I'm sure they do, to a point. I do see the issue in my single-action revolvers with long cases and short throws in barrels below 4.62 inches like Birdshead and Montados. (That's one reason why the stubby 45 acp works so well in short-barreled single-actions: they eject smoothly.)

e00e6a12ebe10c929e7de2aba24c1f7b.jpg
4dd3bf9612b46849c75817b2832309f9.jpg
21090aba609d8edec7386fb7653a573d.jpg

ff1ad32e8fbb3f152154b79b4804795e.jpg

I just acquired the Kimber K-6 S3 57 magnum with a six round cylinder. It will replace my Smith & Wesson model 645 shot cylinder.

I like Snubbies but the major problem I have is the limited capacity. The sights are usually limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just acquired the Kimber K-6 S3 57 magnum with a six round cylinder

With an $1100 MSRP it certainly fits right in the OP's stated price!:eek:
Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?
Anybody bother actually reading the first post of a three page thread before they post?

EAA Windicator . . . got one.

I have the EAA Windicator 39special/357. It's only the second 357 I've ever shot and I like it a lot. Seems very reliable and is small enough that one could CC it. See post under Revolvers called Got me a Windicator.

Life is good
Prof Young

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I owned a 2" 357 mag EEA Windicator for years. I never had a miss fire and it took 110 gr. 357 mag ammo and any 38 special +P ammo.
As to accuracy, it was super up to 12 yards. Buds has this for $289 in all black.
It holds 6 rounds rather than 5. Problem is that most ranges do not have a 2" EEA 357 revolver to rent. If you want cheap then buy the Windicator.
Just so you know, I am not an expert in revolvers. I only know how it handled when I bought one.
I hope this helps.

If a 38 spcl snubby would somehow work, Taurus has been making their Model 85 forever and it has a good reputation. I have owned two and both have been excellent. I am assuming the steel version is rated for +P. I carry mine sometimes and feel confident in it. They are inexpensive.

About two years ago my friend was making a similar decision and chose a Ruger SP101 3" with fixed sights. He found one at a gun show for $320 plus tax. He is very pleased with it.

I would think a 3" Ruger GP100 would be a great fit for you. I have a 4" blue model. You might be better off with the 3" fixed sight SS model.

The Ruger 1715 is $586 at Grabagun new. I would think $500 used is possible.

The Ruger 1752 is a better package, imo at $689 though.

With the Rugers, you get a strong as an ox revolver, at a reasonable weight with a good, not great trigger action. I might be selling something off to get in the 1752 market!

Last edited:
I go with 3" 7 round 686 & 586 revolvers. Both are very accurate at 25 yds. offhand and their weight makes them easy to control.

Brothers20in20arms_zpsjdfusbtg.jpg

I have the .357's...but I will take my .44spec Bulldog over ANY of them.
A .44 Special starts out the same as an expanded .357 anyway, but has much less blast and flash. It's the better snub round, especially with some quality full hardcast wadcutters like the Buffalo Bore "anti personnel" .44 SPC load.

Back