Snub to Short Barrel .357 magnum

In revolvers, in my view, you get what you pay for...especially if you want reliability and something that will maintain its value long term. Personally, I'm a big guy too ( 6'5" and around 290...)...so carrying a gun, is about the right gun that fits my hands ...vs the discussion of plus or minus a pound ( an extra pound is not what is holding me down to the ground )...let alone a few ounces.

I have a few revolvers in .357 mag under a 4", some in 4" as well, etc...the difference between carrying any of them is not a big deal...all S&W - all in .357 mag. S&W gives you a lot of gun for your money in my view ...and they fit my hands well ( K frames are a little small, but I adjust by changing the grips). I would recommend any of these as viable options ( from $ 750 - $ 1,250 if you get into N frames ).

All weights are "loaded"

Model 66 2 1/2" K Frame ( 6 shots ) 2# 3oz
Model 686 2 1/2" L Frame ( 7 shots ) 2# 9oz
Model 627 2 5/8" N frame ( 8 shots ) 2# 11.2oz

Model 66 4" ( 6 shot ) 2# 6.5oz
Model 27 4" ( N frame ) 6 shot 2# 14 oz / model 28 would be cheaper but same dimensions.

and only because I have one ...a model 627, 5", 8 shots, N frame is 3# 1.2oz

My point is ...with a good belt and good IWB holster...they are all easy to carry ( I prefer Kramer leather holsters, with FBI forward tilt, between 3 and 4 O'Clock )...

I like carrying the 627's in the 8 shot... 2 5/8" is really easy to carry .../ but so is the 5" model 627 and its longer sight plane makes it a lot easier to shoot accurately / but same on any of the 4" guns as well over the 2 1/2"models ...

and the model 627 in 2 5/8" is only 8oz heavier than the K frame model 66 in a 2 1/2".

But its your money, everyone should buy and carry whatever they want.

I'll second the EAA Windicator... I think they come in a 2" and 4" blued and ss models. Shot one a year or so back ... very solid gun

you need a fairly long ejector throw. That is one problem with short barrel revolvers and why I consider 3" a minimum.

I agree. This is my carry piece . . .

686-3inch_zps08c99226.jpg

But as far as cheaper brand ideas go, I have no idea. I own a bunch of revolvers, and they're all Smith & Wesson's (except one Colt Python).

Get a Classic!

attachment.php

S&W 66-1 2 1/2 snub or Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4 inch or Security Six 2 3/4 inch barrel!!

The two pictured are mine. 66-1 snub and Ruger Security Six!

Got them 30 or so years ago and I think, when the time comes, I'll be buried with them!

Deaf

I'm curious. Of those that suggested S&W or Ruger, how many of you knock em' around in the woods camping and hiking?
I'm not being critical of the suggestions or the brands. S&W and Ruger are quality with history and rep to back it up.

You need to determine the minimum number of rounds you want. S&W and Ruger can fill all your wishes. S&W just introduced a new version of their MOD 66 with a 2-3/4" barrel that should be perfect. Be wary of older model 66's as many had forcing cone issues if too many .357's were fired. I prefer my 586/686 with 7 rounds but they are heavy unless you have a very solid belt/holster setup. My daughter is very content with her Mod 60 Pro series but it is a handful with .357's. Just yesterday I had to drag myself away from the counter when I spotted a Performance Center 2-1/2" 7 shot with unfluted cylinder. Then there is the solid line of Rugers.
So many choices so little time.

Last edited:
I'm curious. Of those that suggested S&W or Ruger, how many of you knock em' around in the woods camping and hiking?
Guess I don't understand the question. What do you mean "knock em' around"?. I carry it holstered when I'm not actually shooting it. What am I missing here?

Of my .357 Magnums, the S&W Model 66-2 with 2 1/2" barrel best fits your description. The others I have are either L or N frames.

None of these older revolvers are considered inexpensive anymore unless they have seen a history of rough roads. S&W has the Classic Line in production, but they are not exactly inexpensive either.

I love my S&W 586 L-Comp 7 shot with 3" barrel. It wasn't inexpensive though, but it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am a big dude and I have carried concealed long enough to know what works where. Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?

wouldnt a visit to a local gun store work?

I've got a S&W model 66 with the 2.5" bbl. Bought it way back in 1981 or so. Red ramp front sight with a white outline rear sight.

I have some S&W laminated finger-groove combat grips on it.

Beautiful handgun. It's a keeper!

Skeeter Skelton became disenchanted with the 2.5" M19-too much muzzle blast and no easier to conceal than a 4". As he noted the crucial factor in concealing a revolver is the cylinder.
How about a Dan Wesson ?

44caliberkid said:
I think the S&W Model 66 with 2 1/2 inch barrel is the sexiest revolver ever made
I cannot argue with that, and I have one. (As well as a 327 2")
The new Ruger Redhawk .357 is calling me though.
I guess I'm just a sucker for short barrels.

For up close and personal purposes the 3" heavy barrel, fixed sight, round butt, S&W M-65 is very hard to beat. For connoisseur's the M13 blued carbon steel version. There's nothing wrong with a 2-1/2" M-19. Irrespective of all of the gloom and doom warnings about cracked forcing cones on these K-frames... I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find one that has been shot enough with full house magnum loads to matter.

The vintage Ruger Security and Service Six short barrel .357s are gems, IMO, but hard to acquire.

S&W is making a new 2.75" barrel model 66, but, there aren't a lot of actual user reports available.

Good luck with your search. Please post pics after you get it.

Back