Snub to Short Barrel .357 magnum

stonewall50

I need some ideas on a DA/SA (no DAO) .357 magnums (or .38+p) I can carry concealed while camping or hiking. It would also be loaded with +p in the house for my girlfriend when I am not there. A short barrel isn't a must. But I don't really want a 4 inch barrel or longer.

I am a big dude and I have carried concealed long enough to know what works where. Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't use a too-short barrel because with .357 you need a fairly long ejector throw. That is one problem with short barrel revolvers and why I consider 3" a minimum. (Or make sure there are not more than 5 bad guys, so you don't have to reload.)

Jim

Sounds to me as if you are looking for a 3 inch barrel. In that length you can find the S&W model 10 (.38 Special), S&W model 65 (stainless, 357 Magnum), S&W 586 or 686 (357 Magnum), S&W model 27 (357 Magnum, N frame). The S&W 65 would be nearly ideal for your use. Stainless resists rust; 357 Magnum will also fire .38 Special; short barrel is long enough for home defense and comfortable carry (open and concealed). I'm sure there are others that I have missed but these are the ones this old dog is familiar with.

I'm a fan of 3" barrels for a short barrel revolver. They give a little more velocity over a 2" or 2.5" barrel. Maybe not a ton when measured out of a chrono, but enough to make standard load JHPs more likely to expand (though with short barrel loads it may not be as big a deal these days as it was a decade or more ago). They will give you a little more sight radius and be easier to aim accurately. Unlike a small-frame revolver, they are big and heavy enough to be quite comfortable when shooting magnum rounds allowing for quicker and easier follow up shots v. a smaller revolver. They handle and balance about perfectly. Compared to a 4" revolver they shave off a few ounces and they are shorter so they are easier to conceal and carry. Overall, IMO, a 3" medium frame revolver is the perfect all-around revolver and the perfect carry revolver.

My first choice isn't a budget brand, but would be worth it, the S&W 686 Plus. It is in the L-frame so it is strong enough to last a lifetime of any factory loaded or SAAMI spec reload .357mag. In the "Plus" variation, it carries 7-rounds. It is still made. With its strength/durability, extra round v. the K-frame, current production, yet only a tad bit bigger than a K-frame so it is still a reasonable carry size and weight in the L-frame, it blends all the characteristics a revolver like this needs.

My next choice would be a used K-frame. They are a little smaller and lighter than the L-frame so they are even better at any concealment or carry role, while still heavy enough to be comfortable when shooting most magnums. They are a less durable and are better seen as .38spls that can shoot occasional magnums than the other way around, as they will see negative effects of regular .357mag use faster than most revolvers (and if you shoot too many 125gr magnums you can end up with a cracked forcing cone). The biggest disadvantage is that they are getting expensive.

My next choice is a used Ruger Security or Service Six. They are similar to the K-frames but with Ruger durability. They are also less expensive (though there is enough collector interest that I'm not sure they'd qualify as a budget option).

My last recommendation would the Ruger GP100. They are a little on the big and heavy side compared to the K-frame or Service/Security Six, but they are built like a tank and your grandchildren will probably be passing them on to their children and grandchildren. Unlike the S&W, it is only available as a traditional six-shooter, no seventh round. They aren't cheap, but they will be $50-100 less than a S&W.

I know you said you wanted a cheaper brand, and I used to recommend Taurus and Rossi, but I don't anymore. I had a Rossi (made by Taurus) that would sometimes lock its cylinder after shooting magnums, and after some internet research found it is a fairly common problem with current production Rossi and Taurus revolvers. If you want a Taurus or Rossi, I'd look towards one from the late 1980s or early 1990s up to maybe 2006 or 2007 for their best examples.

If you want something cheaper than my suggestions and go used Taurus, they didn't make many 3" guns. You might find a 3" M65 or M66 if you are lucky. I'd look towards the 2" 617 (7 rounds) or the Tracker. I know that the Tracker is 4" and you said you want shorter, but it carries 7-rounds, is reasonably priced, and is on Taurus' "compact" frame so it is a little smaller and lighter (thus more carry friendly) than the typical medium frame 4" revolver.

I think the S&W Model 66 with 2 1/2 inch barrel is the sexiest revolver ever made. And you can probably get an excellent condition used one for a reasonable price.

A second for the Ruger Security Six. The short barrel versions are mostly 2 3/4 inch. It would be harder to find a Service Six with the short barrel. There's also a Speed Six, but they are rare, too.
If you're OK with a five shooter, the Ruger SP 101 comes in a 3 inch. It's a good, solid gun.
None of them is cheap, exactly. A used SP would be the least expensive of the Rugers mentioned.

Just want some cheaper brand ideas that work well. Low budget guns that maintain reliability. Nothing fancy required. Any ideas?

I'm not sure low budget and .357 magnum short barrel revolver go together. I don't think any of the options posted so far will go for less than $600+.

As James K stated in post #2 ejection of spent cases on a snub nose can be problematic with the short stoke of the ejection rod. Perhaps look into a 9mm revolver or with the 38/357 use short colt ammo

Thanks guys. I'm making a list and checking the prices. I'd love to have something for hiking. My security 6 with 6 inch barrel is ok...but open carry is not something I like to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(357 Magnum)......I think he is looking for something more affordable than the 3" K framed S&W's. They have gotten completely out of sight lately...just insane prices. I did see a model 65 at a LGS yesterday for 699.95, but when I checked it out, it was a Ladysmith. I just couldn't get myself to deal with owning one of those.
I've been looking for a reasonable 3" model 10 or 13 for some time myself, but just don't want to buy a well used specimen for 895.00 or more.

How about this one?

IMG_8232_zpsnt8coozm.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 627 Performance Center. 8 shots, and you can use moon clips for positive extraction.

Easily concealable with the right holster.

I think the S&W Model 66 with 2 1/2 inch barrel is the sexiest revolver ever made. And you can probably get an excellent condition used one for a reasonable price.

If you think $1000+ is reasonable... The prices on the old ones have gone NUTS, you can get a brand new one cheaper than a classic 66 from the good old days. New 66 2.5" is about $750.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/23980/Smith+%26+Wesson+10061+66+K-Frame+SingleDouble+357+Magnum+2.75+6+Black+Syntheti

The 3" Model 60 is very nice in the standard configuration or the Pro Series with the slab barrel and fancy grips. This is a lifetime-quality handgun but costs over $600.

I recently decided on what I think is the perfect woods walking gun..at least for me. I got a Ruger SP101 with a 3" pipe. I can keep five shots of full magnum loads in a 4" group at 25yds with no problem. I've got a lot of handguns, I just wanted a self defense gun that was reasonably accurate, a good black bear deterrent, and good enough for two legged critters out to do no good. It conceals reasonably well under casual hiking/fishing wear and handles the magnum loads with ease. I'm not a big Ruger fan, but I like this one. The only thing I added to it was a tritium front sight and a set of Hogue grips.

EAA Windicator 357 magnum. I have no experience with them, but it seems most are happy with them for the price. I believe they're available for under $300.

I've heard charter arms has good CS and I'm pretty sure they have a revolver to suit your needs.

Back