Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Spats— congratulations on the new pistol. A new gun day is always a good day! Let us know how it shoots when you get it to the range

I honestly don't find the 2.0 texture to be that bad. They stopped the original M&P texture because a number of people found it not aggressive enough. I've used the 2.0 texture on a Compact for a full day course of 8 hr with no gloves and I was okay.

I thought I had read that the Plus model had a new grip surface. I just compared my Plus to my 2.0 model Shield and although they look similar, the Plus version feels more abrasive. Perhaps it's just my particular gun.tt

It is slightly different because they are cerakoting the frames now. A review I watched actually found it less aggressive than the 2.0 (IIRC). That texture will also wear in over time, so if your 2.0 Shield has seen some use it will seem less abrasive.

Cerakoting or not, the color and texture on the two guns looks identical in the non-grip areas. The older gun has not worn in because it is a safe queen. It may just be a variation in this particular gun. Doesn't really matter because as I said it will soon be wearing either a Pachmayr sleeve or Talons. Maybe I will get to shoot it today.

As soon as I can get to the range and wring it out a bit, I'll post a range report. I already know that I'm going to swap the white dot sights out for some night sights, probably just moving the ones off my Shield 1.0. From what I've read, the slide cuts should be the same. I probably won't start carrying it until I have a few spare mags, but I have a couple of buddies helping me watch for those. I also figure that if the grip texture is too aggressive, I'll either put something on the grip or sandpaper it a little. In any event, I won't do anything irreversible until I've decided whether she's a long-term keeper.

As for the grip texture being different on the Plus. I remembered correctly. I just went on the S&W website and read their information on the new Plus. They refer to "an enhanced grip texture" based on consumer feedback about the 2.0 version. So they have changed it.

As for the grip texture being different on the Plus. I remembered correctly. I just went on the S&W website and read their information on the new Plus. They refer to "an enhanced grip texture" based on consumer feedback about the 2.0 version. So they have changed it.

Fair enough. When I held one at the store it didn’t feel notably more aggressive than my 2.0 Compact. Now I never owned a 2.0 Shield, just a 1.0. I’m not sure how the 2.0 texture on the full-size pistols compared to the 2.0 Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first thing I did when I got my Plus was put Talon Rubber grips on. Felt like 80 grit sandpaper, LOL. That being said, I put Talon Grips on all my polymer guns so they all feel the same. JMHO

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The reality is you can't go wrong with the 365/365 XL, Hellcat, or the Shield+...its a personal thing and all three are great guns. I have had every intention of buying the Shield+ when I sold my 1.0 recently.

Not for not but I thought I would offer an update on my deliberations on the Plus. Even with the 1 round penalty (which really isn't a penalty), I bought a Sig 365XL Romeo Zero version (no safety). I still might add a Shield+ when/if things settle down. (The XL has 15 rnd mags available...now.) This was not just a financial call by any means but the short of it is, everything else being equal...the Shield+ just isn't the price point leader it was to me anymore AND the XL fit & balanced really well for me the moment I held & fired it.

As noted before, I have nothing against the Shield and now the Plus...I'm a fan. However, I couldn't find it with the options I wanted yet...regardless of what I was willing to pay. (No 13rnd mags available yet.) While I LOVED my 1.0 for the last 5 years...still love them...the Shield+ just isn't the price point leader it was back in the day I bought it. Also, the XL wasn't available back then nor were Holo optics even on my mind with 5 years younger eyes. :rolleyes:

So...the LGS had a decent price on the XL. While I also had no intention of going to a Holo-Reddot, they offered the Romeo Zero version for only $50 more. I figured what did I have to lose and to give it a try. I have since found a deal locally on "used" 12-round (2) & 15-round magazines (2) for less than 1/2 of MSRP and am all set again. Until next time... :o:)

I'm in the same small boat. And in addition to being bulkier when one reason for carrying a subcompact pistol for self-defense is to be less bulky, transitioning from years of training and practice of focusing on the front sight to chasing a dot around on the target, will involve a lot of practice and rethinking sighting priorities. The red dot can doubtlessly be a more accurate aiming method for many, if not most, but it doesn't come without some disadvantages.
I agree. I personally do not want any extra bulk or weight for EDC carry and carry every single day, especially when that bulk and weight is not needed. I also prefer to go as snag-less as possible. And like yourself have spent way too many years and ammo on honing my Point and shoot skills to care about a Optic. Maybe on one of my duty guns but not for every day carry. I am also in the internet minority crowd as I am totally happy with 7 or 8 rounds for practical EDC.
Would I run out and buy the latest model of the same gun for $600 when the gun I have shot so many rounds with now feels like a part of my own hand for a few xtra rounds. I would not, but have no problem with folks that do.
If a person feels like he or she does not need, want or desire for a few extra round, does not want the expense at weight that comes with it, there is no need to disparage that owner. The same with those that feel they need more rounds. Each to his own.
On any new gun, my feeling is to spend some time shooting one, to find the best fit, compare them all. Shoot them side by side. I realize that is not always the easiest way to do things for most shooter especially in this Crap we are stuck in.
To those that purchased the New Sig, Hellcat, or Shield, I say congratulations. They are all fine guns. Enjoy! Stay safe and practice often as possible.

It has definitely got my attention. I am in the market (loosely, within the year, with the current low stock I'm not paying the current premiums) for a small 10 round pistol. After losing 100+ pounds, I can't conceal the larger guns I used to like as well as I used to (no more CZ PCRs IWB/tucked without a fairly bulky cover garment). When tucked, even my S&W M&P40c (1st gen) seems a little wide. I had thought I'd be looking mainly at the SIG P365, but the new S&W (not really any bigger than the old Shield) and Ruger offerings both look interesting.

I can easily see it replacing my SIG P290RS, Kel Tec Pf9 and S&W 442 (so if I trade/sell all of them to get the S&W Shield +, it would be essentially free, probably with money back).

It has definitely got my attention. I am in the market (loosely, within the year, with the current low stock I'm not paying the current premiums) for a small 10 round pistol. After losing 100+ pounds, I can't conceal the larger guns I used to like as well as I used to (no more CZ PCRs IWB/tucked without a fairly bulky cover garment). When tucked, even my S&W M&P40c (1st gen) seems a little wide. I had thought I'd be looking mainly at the SIG P365, but the new S&W (not really any bigger than the old Shield) and Ruger offerings both look interesting.

I can easily see it replacing my SIG P290RS, Kel Tec Pf9 and S&W 442 (so if I trade/sell all of them to get the S&W Shield +, it would be essentially free, probably with money back).

Congrats on losing the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back