Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Ruger also just released their Max-9 which is an LC9 in a double stack with red dot plate.

Handgunhero has the Plus and the 2.0 as the exact same gun for foot print which is what I was asking.

Shield was larger of all the options. I'm sure it will do well.

Ruger also just released their Max-9 which is an LC9 in a double stack with red dot plate.

Handgunhero has the Plus and the 2.0 as the exact same gun for foot print which is what I was asking.

Shield was larger of all the options. I'm sure it will do well.

Yup. Same size like I said in Post #9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear, it seems like there are some folks who just want the absolute smallest 9mm pistol they can possibly get, regardless of how it fits in their hand, how it points, or even how practical it is. But then again, I suppose that explains the demand for such pistols to be optics ready...

Granted that I have medium sized hands, but the Shield fits it perfectly, even with the flush-fitting magazine, so for me at least, the Shield PLUS being larger than the P365 would be, well...a plus. I already have a Ruger LCP, which is hard enough to shoot in .380 ACP, so why I would want a firearm that's nearly as small as the LCP chambered in 9mm is beyond me.

Honestly, how small is too small, exactly? A few years from now are folks going to be clamoring for the new 9mm Kolibri Pistol with a drilled and tapped slide for easy installation of scope mounts?

I agree. I owned a Shield and I really liked the size. This is that with more rounds. The P365 feels too small for me, that’s why I went with the XL.

It will do well. Wasn't being flippant.

But more bucks right now without night sights like the P365, this isn't the Shield we knew before which wasn't doing all that well against the P365 (as witnessed by the huge price drops by S&W).

Meh.

I’ve seen a couple prices coming up online for the high $400’s for the shield plus($489 on a few preorder sites). For a bit more you can get the hellcat or p365 that already come with night sights. I feel like S&W is betting a lot on how well the previous shield models sold. Will the shield plus sell? Yes. Will it catch up to the competition? Only time and money will tell. I imagine it’ll still be profitable for S&W, but not like during the earlier shield days. Will definitely hold one and try out the trigger if one ever pops up at my local gun store.

I watched a Julie G overview of the Shield +.

The handgun grip remains narrow. The magazine has been redesigned and is unique to the Shield Plus. That answers my question about the comparison to the M+P 9C double stack width.

Julie put the trigger pull scale on her Shield Plus. It was more than 4 lbs but less than 5 lbs.

As far as the Ford/Chevy/Mopar arguement...Haven't we grown up a little since High School? Good Grief!

Its your money,your hand,and your choice as to what you want to carry.
And mine for me!!

I'm grateful to S+W,Glock,Springfield,Ruger,etc for giving us all these choices so each of us can probably find one that suits us. I don't see a good reason to knock S+W for this offering.

Size XL gloves are pretty tight on me. XXL's are better. Someone who wears a size M might not choose the same gun I do.

Some folks just prefer a Glock 43 regardless of mag capacity. Thats really OK with me. They are armed .

My ONLY concern applies to all of the choices.

Lets not derail this post. A discussion of potential new gun law deserves its own thread.
I've been background checked Fed,State,and local,with fingerprints over a 60 day perion to get my Concealed Carry. I'm not concerned about my background.

I AM concerned that I'll be unlikely to find a Shield Plus to buy before some change in background check is in effect. I AM concerned that may subject me to some registration of guns I already own.
It MAY be I'm not buying any more guns,
But at this point,its an unknown and not very knowable. There is no point in a big discussion based on speculation and fear.

I can look for one. IF I can find one I can buy,in stock, I can ask my FFL what are the the laws and requirements on that day, and go through with it or not.

I'd buy a Shield Plus if I could find one under today's law.

I watched a Julie G overview of the Shield +.

The handgun grip remains narrow. The magazine has been redesigned and is unique to the Shield Plus. That answers my question about the comparison to the M+P 9C double stack width.

Julie put the trigger pull scale on her Shield Plus. It was more than 4 lbs but less than 5 lbs.

As far as the Ford/Chevy/Mopar arguement...Haven't we grown up a little since High School? Good Grief!

Its your money,your hand,and your choice as to what you want to carry.
And mine for me!!

I'm grateful to S+W,Glock,Springfield,Ruger,etc for giving us all these choices so each of us can probably find one that suits us. I don't see a good reason to knock S+W for this offering.

Size XL gloves are pretty tight on me. XXL's are better. Someone who wears a size M might not choose the same gun I do.

Some folks just prefer a Glock 43 regardless of mag capacity. Thats really OK with me. They are armed .

My ONLY concern applies to all of the choices.

Lets not derail this post. A discussion of potential new gun law deserves its own thread.
I've been background checked Fed,State,and local,with fingerprints over a 60 day perion to get my Concealed Carry. I'm not concerned about my background.

I AM concerned that I'll be unlikely to find a Shield Plus to buy before some change in background check is in effect. I AM concerned that may subject me to some registration of guns I already own.
It MAY be I'm not buying any more guns,
But at this point,its an unknown and not very knowable. There is no point in a big discussion based on speculation and fear.

I can look for one. IF I can find one I can buy,in stock, I can ask my FFL what are the the laws and requirements on that day, and go through with it or not.

I'd buy a Shield Plus if I could find one under today's law.

I don’t see anything passing in the immediate future. Even if it does pass it’s rare to have legislation that is effective immediately. If they change the background check process it will take ATF time to implement those changes and get the paperwork out to FFLs

As wild cat pointed out you can order them right now on Brownells. A store local to me just put them out today, so my guess is they’re shipping now.

The worry is about a ten round magazine limit, with all these small nines coming with 12-13 round magazines. A ten round limit cuts into their advantage over the standard Shield.

Finally got one in my hand this morning. This thing is sweet! There is very little difference in grip thickness between the Plus and the original Shield and the Plus has a better trigger. I'm shopping for a Performance Center version with thumb safety. Sure wish I had known about this before I bought my P365XL.

I agree. I owned a Shield and I really liked the size. This is that with more rounds. The P365 feels too small for me, that’s why I went with the XL.

The XL is too small for me. I gave up with micro's and just carry a LW 9mm Commander.

I think the S&W has done a disservice to its existing Shield owners.

I have three Shields. Why doesn't S&W offer 10 round magazines for the existing Shields in 9, 40 and 45. Single stack will be good for me.

And I do not want a 9mm Shield Plus.

Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

I have three Shields. Why doesn't S&W offer 10 round magazines for the existing Shields in 9, 40 and 45. Single stack will be good for me.

Because the same magazines wouldn’t fit. The frame around the grip is slightly different in dimensions.

As for additional extensions, I feel like there are aftermarket companies that do that.

dontcatchmany said:

Fortunately, you can use aftermarket parts available such as Magguts spring kits and Hyve magazine extension baseplates to increase the capacity of the M&P9/40 Shield to nearly the same capacity as the Shield PLUS.

Personally, I don't care, so I'll be leaving my M&P40 Shield 1.0 as is, but for those who want to hold more rounds in their existing Shields, Magguts and Hyve offer aftermarket parts which cost far less than a replacement Shield PLUS, and by all accounts are 100% reliable modifications.

I think this might be a first comment on the "plus" name. May this be my only contribution to online gun forums ever.

The Plus is the 686 model with a 7 round cylinder. 6 round chambers exist because some people view a revolver should have 6 round cylinders and it matters to some games.

There really isn't a benefit from this new version to the previous version of the Shield? No one has a religious conviction that a shield should be limited to 7, right?

Calling it some "enhanced" seems odd when what it enhances really doesn't have a purpose going forward? There is no world where the regular Shield needs to exist now.

Back