Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Calling it some "enhanced" seems odd when what it enhances really doesn't have a purpose going forward? There is no world where the regular Shield needs to exist now.
Unless you already have one and don't want to shell out another $500+ for essentially the same pistol.

Will the trigger enhancement make that much difference in how someone shoots the Shield? Probably not much.

Are the extra rounds worth the cost? Personal decision, but you can modify existing mags and add a couple of rounds to the current Shield.

A different grip texture? I've never had a problem with my Shield 1.0 grip texture. SW got too aggressive on the 2.0 grips for a lot of people carrying concealed IWB and backed off from that in the new Plus version.

Why did SW offer the 2.0? They saw the success of higher-round subcompacts from other manufacturers and wanted their slice of the pie. And, they wanted to offer a new model so owners of previous versions would dump the "old" model in favor of a younger model.

I've watched several videos on YouTube and a couple of reviewers have said the grip isn't much thicker than the old Shields or that they feel about the same. I haven't seen any calipers put on it and SW doesn't list the thickness of the grips. There may not be a lot of difference in the thickness of the grips but the thin grips of the "old" Shields has been a marketing point for SW.

Will I buy one? Maybe down the road a bit. I'm in a "pause" right now from buying guns and I've Beta-tested a couple of guns in the past and will let someone else do that for me now (I wouldn't expect a problem, but who knows).

I think the regular capacity Shields are going to be done for production. There is no reason to keep them.

I agree with you on two parts. 2 pages deep and still no sizing provided to compare the two on all areas.

Also, it is getting a bit annoying how quickly new versions are getting put out. Not only beta testing like you mention, but when successful, it means the previous version is on the chopping block for production and support, let alone see you higher resale.

I think I'm sitting out new guns for a while too.

2 pages deep and still no sizing provided to compare the two on all areas.

Links to the product pages have been posted (which have length, height, and width), video reviews have been posted that show the two side by side, and links to handgun hero have been posted to see them overplayed on each other. All of which can give you a good idea of size comparisons. If someone is too lazy to avail themselves of everything made available thus far, that’s on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of them measure grip width. Probably not a big difference but it would be nice to know.

Then look at the stills of them side by side in the video. Mk I eyeballs.

https://youtu.be/jJtEjKCzu24

9:15 in the video above is a section comparing just the old Shield and the Shield Plus. At the tail end of that section (just over 2 minutes long) are a bunch of shots of the two next to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just when I thought I had it all figured out! Last night I ordered the new Shield Plus in the Performance Center version. Has the same 3.1 in barrel as every other Shield. This morning I go on YouTube to find a review of this pistol. Looks like a winner, except the guy starts talking about the gun having a 4 in barrel. What?? So I go on the S&W site and notice that the PC versions with the optical sight, appear to have a longer barrel. Sort of like the Sig P365XL. The gun the guy on YouTube has, does not appear to have an optical sight, yet he talks about the 4 in barrel. Nothing else I can find mentions the Shield plus or PC plus gun being available with two different barrel lengths. This I find really confusing!

I swear, it seems like there are some folks who just want the absolute smallest 9mm pistol they can possibly get, regardless of how it fits in their hand, how it points, or even how practical it is. But then again, I suppose that explains the demand for such pistols to be optics ready...

Granted that I have medium sized hands, but the Shield fits it perfectly, even with the flush-fitting magazine, so for me at least, the Shield PLUS being larger than the P365 would be, well...a plus. I already have a Ruger LCP, which is hard enough to shoot in .380 ACP, so why I would want a firearm that's nearly as small as the LCP chambered in 9mm is beyond me.
Where do you get that information? Yes some people want a small gun BUT it does fit very well in their handd and shoots excellent. I have a few and a I have a size large hand wear a xtra large glove. My smaller guns fit 'For Myself" perfectly. I do not expect every gun I buy or shoot to be perfect for the entire population. If a larger gun is a better fit for you than great. One of them is the LCP which you spoke of. I have no problem shooting it. And a Kahr CM9 which I shoot better than many larger guns. And NOT at all difficult to do well with.
One shoe does NOT fit the entire population, gun the same. Fortunately we live in America and free to choose what is best for our individual needs, desires and wants.

Last edited:
It will do well. Wasn't being flippant.

But more bucks right now without night sights like the P365, this isn't the Shield we knew before which wasn't doing all that well against the P365 (as witnessed by the huge price drops by S&W).

Meh.
They will not have a problem selling the Sheild. It has a long history of satisfied customers and the gun has proven itself over time. I have shot the 365 quite a bit. Not my cup of tea and I know many that feel the same. Nothing against the gun. Just not about to pay the cost. Given the two, I would go with the Shield and buy my own sights that I prefer. Give the Sig a few more years and you might see price drops as well. That would not be a reflection on the gun. Things and People change. What is hot today can be cold tomorrow.

I had a Shield 1.0 for several years...loved it. Sold it this week in favor of acquiring a Plus... preferably one with the optic plates which is not available yet.

In the interim, my buddy is trying to talk me into a Hellcat which at this moment seems to offer more options for the money which is surprising. The Shield has traditionally been a great bang for the buck. I.E. Competitively priced over similar options. Right now it seems to almost be a price leader. I'm guessing that the price will come down over time though.

I have shot the 365 quite a bit. Not my cup of tea and I know many that feel the same. Nothing against the gun. Just not about to pay the cost.

Interestingly, I revisited the 365 yesterday...I agree with you. However, I played with the XL...I kinda liked it. Time will tell...

You can get the optics mounted version if you want to pay nearly a grand for the Performance Center model.
So far, I like the feel/ergonomics of my Shield the best...(muscle memory & what I'm familiar with) but the balance and backstrap of the 365XL was better than I thought.

That said, as much as I like the Shields, at $1k...THAT is NEVER going to happen for optics with me. S&W is overestimating their power of persuasion over the average previous Shield buyers. With money in hand with the sale of my Shield 1.0...I guess I will either buy the plain-Jane Shield Plus ($499), pick up a Hellcat with Optic plate ($550) or revisit the 365XL. Still deciding...

I carry the Sig P365 and *with the 12 round magazines* it fits my hand perfectly. The Sig tritium night sights are bright, and I like the trigger on my 365.

While I don't think the slightly larger dimensions of the Shield Plus would make a huge difference for CC, when I looked at the Shield Plus I don't see anything that would persuade me to switch. I have little interest in putting another $130 or so into aftermarket tritium sights, which diminishes any price point advantage of the S&W, and there really isn't any feature of the Shield Plus that is particularly compelling. It's sort of a "Me Too" offering - except for the fact that it might fit other shooter's hands much better than mine.

I look forward to getting the plus in my hands to check it out. I have and like my 2.0 Shield 9mm which is my EDC. I'm not so much interested in the extra rounds on board as I am a slightly thicker grip vs. my 2.0. It would have to be a substantial improvement to get me to change.

While I don't think the slightly larger dimensions of the Shield Plus would make a huge difference for CC, when I looked at the Shield Plus I don't see anything that would persuade me to switch.

Yeah. For the folks that already have a Shield I suppose they'd get to keep their holsters, maybe switch over any tritium sights they already have. I don't have a Shield 1.0 or 2.0 so I don't feel quite compelled.

I'm not so much interested in the extra rounds on board as I am a slightly thicker grip vs. my 2.0.

I held an acquaintance's Shield 1.0 once and I thought the grip was way too thin also. And the front and back portion of the grips were a bit overboard in being oval cross section. Too rounded. I still am of the "older school" grip style of trying to have the recoil go into the bones of the dominant forearm directly as much as possible, which means rotating my right hand/firing hand clockwise, bracing the back of the grip against my palm rather than trying to fill my palms with the sides of the grip. These super thin grips seem more conducive to an isosceles where you clamp on directly from the side.

If anyone gets one, I'd be curious to know how much wider the grips are.

I got to finally handle one at my lgs today. Only a bit bigger than a shield but not much. Something seemed a bit different the way it pointed though than my 1.0 shield. Like the beaver tail area of the grip kind of made me want to adjust my wrist/grip a bit differently than how I naturally do it, kind of like how someone new to the glock grip angle would. But it did feel pretty good in the hand with the 13rd mag. The trigger was good, not great, bit of stacking take up. Personally of all the micro 9’s, the Hellcat fits me the best, new shield plus is second, 3rd is P365: too thin in the grip to be comfortable. Waiting to see the new Ruger.

WARNING...I'm about to do an about-face.

I sold 1.0 that I quite liked a week or so ago to go buy the Plus. Since I shopped for an EDC last, the Sig 365XL was released which I hadn't known about. For me...admittedly not having shot either the 365XL or the Plus...I am leaning to the 365XL. Especially so as it seems to also have more features for the money than the Plus. I.E. Sight radius, F&R night sights, Optics plate, avalailable 15 rnd mag...cheaper than the anticipated pricing on a comparable Shield Plus which isn't currently the price point leader IMHO.

I agree but both the curved and the straight trigger on the 365 pinch my finger. The Shield does not, so a Shield with the capacity of a 365 appeals to me. But for that problem, I like the 365XL very much. My Performance Center Shield Plus arrives tomorrow

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but anything like even a small red dot on a subcompact carry pistol is just something to add bulk/irregular shape or perhaps even hang up during a draw. Tritium sights are fine, but even those aren't really necessary for me. If I'm going to carry a small gun, I'm only going to use it at fairly close distances and with enough light to see what I'm shooting at.

I will say that something like a Crimson Trace laser grip might be attractive in a subcompact pistol.

Back