Smith and Wesson serial number search

1960 Model 10

"maybe $600 or so retail."

Thanks for the response. That really surprised me as that is about how much a new one goes for. I would have thought that there would be enough collectors to make this a much more valuable item.

The problem with giving values over the internet based on individual written descriptions is they are rough estimates at best. A better gauge is looking at the auction site archives (such as Gunbroker) to see what going (sold) rates are for certain models.
The book list the value as $365 "ANIB" plus a 30% premium for being a 4 screw model (10-1) but those are 3 year old values.
And, S&W made a bazillion model 10's. They are very common. That said, if a collector was specifically looking for a minty model 10-1 then he may pay a lot more for it. But for your average gun shopping Joe... ?

I'm hoping to determine the approximate age and value of this S&W HE .32 w/ 4" round barrel, chromed, antler (?) grips, in very good condition, SN: 38xxx. Thanks again, my books aren't giving me the date of manufacture.
38XXX would make it a 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 19426 in 1904 to 51126 in 1906.
The book you need is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, currently on it's 3rd revision.
The book list $385 in excellent and $700 "ANIB" but those are 3 year old values.

Jim

Last edited:
DOB on a K-22 17-3?

DOB? I've had it for a long time. I think I remember S&W telling me it was made in 1967 or 69.

Serial Number 1K476XX

Thanks.

I know, I know.... I just ordered the book @ $45

Recently came across a .38, blued, new departure with a 4" barrel. Comes with a red box which I think is original. Serial # 171XXX. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacturer. I'm guessing its a 4th or 5th model based on the language on th box? Any help is greatly appreciated

Could someone please help me with some info on my S&W model 29-2.
Serial Number is N4031XX

Thanks for your time & help.
All the best from Australia.
Jason

44goon: The N4xxxxx series of serial numbers was used on N frames manufactured from 1977 to 1978. Yours is early in the range, so most likely 1977.

Norseman1: With any luck, we'll be closer neighbors in a few years when I retire and move to a free state.

would like i.d. on very old s&w

Hello! I am not a gun collector, only someone who has been given my grandfathers old gun... Would like to know about it. The serial # 42 *** it is stamped "smith & wesson springfield mass" on the top of the barrel. any help/info would be appreciated... Thanx... Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:
The serial # 42 *** it is stamped "smith & wesson springfield mass" on the top of the barrel.
From the picture it appears to be Model One, 2nd Issue and the serial number of 42XXX confirms it.
Serial numbers ran from 11672 in 1860 to 126361 in 1868. It was chambered for a 22 Rimfire Short blackpowder cartridge.

Jim

I am considering buying a 44 S&W. It says Model 629-4, and the barrel appears to be 6" long. Can anyone tell me what year it was made, and something about the relative quality compared to other years?

Serial # is BRY5xxx

I am considering buying a 44 S&W. It says Model 629-4, and the barrel appears to be 6" long. Can anyone tell me what year it was made, and something about the relative quality compared to other years?

Serial # is BRY5xxx
Of the 629's, the no dash is best as a collectable. After that the -4 is the is most desireable because it has all the strength enhancements and is the last variation before MIM and internal locks started appearing.

Jim

Hey Guys,
Probably picking up a Model 10-8 this week for $225
the serial number is
10-8

A22
X291X

Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture and if i'm making a decent deal or not. Thanks!

Probably picking up a Model 10-8 this week for $225
the serial number is
10-8

A22
X291X

Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture and if i'm making a decent deal or not
That's not the serial number. Take if off the underside of the frames grip butt.
And yeah, that's a really good price.

Jim

A22X291X

isn't it?
No. That's an assembly number. For the time period that the 10-8 was made it will either have a "D" within the numbers or a 3 letter prefix. Take serial number from here:
swstandard.jpg

Jim

Gentlemen,
Am very grateful that a forum will go to the trouble to date firearms - I know I certainly appreciate it.
I have the following 3 J-frames at this time, and would appreciate it if I knew when S&W built them.
1) blued model 49, serial #J640893
2) nickled model 36, serial # J572715
3) model 60, serial # R116019

All are in nearly new condition; I am very lucky to own these fine firearms. I carry the #49 daily.
Semper fi,

Dave Swaffield

Back