Smith and Wesson serial number search

I bet this one is an oldie...

49991 with a star after the number

mp05.jpg

S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models of guns. So, I need to see a picture of the whole gun and what caliber it is to help date it.

Here you go. Thanks for looking into this! It's a .38 Special.

mp06.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go. Thanks for looking into this! It's a .38 Special.

.38 Military & Police Model of 1902 - 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 33804 in 1903 to 62449 in 1904. The "star" means it went back to S&W for rework and/or refinish some time ago.

Jim

I just purchased a 38 S&W Special CTG #D689xx. Can you please tell me the date it was manufactured and if it will take +P loads? This is a heavy barrel model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model 36 age

HI,

I'm new to the forum, what a great place. I was wondering if you could date a model 36 I recently inherited from a friend who passed. The serial number is J631XXX.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give me info on a S&W revolver. My father past away 2 years ago and my mother did not know he had this gun. She recently found it and wanted it out of the house. Model 36 58Jxxx THANK YOU.

Last edited:
I just purchased a 38 S&W Special CTG #D689xx. Can you please tell me the date it was manufactured and if it will take +P loads?
1968. Your model 10 should be fine with +P.

I was wondering if you could date a model 36 I recently inherited from a friend who passed. The serial number is J631XXX.
1977/78.

Can anyone give me info on a S&W revolver. My father past away 2 years ago and my mother did not know he had this gun. She recently found it and wanted out of the house. Model 36 58Jxxx
1971/72.

Jim

help w/ a S&W

Hey Guys, i just found this revolver at my grandfathers house, it looks really old and all i can get from it is the serial number. If anyone has a way of telling what kind it is/when it was made i would really appreciate it. Its a 228XXX, There are only numbers no letters. ive also included a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, i just found this revolver at my grandfathers house, it looks really old and all i can get from it is the serial number. If anyone has a way of telling what kind it is/when it was made i would really appreciate it. Its a 228XXX, There are only numbers no letters. ive also included a picture.
If it's 32 S&W caliber it would be a .32 Double Action 4th Model with serial numbers running from 43406 in 1883 to 282999 in 1909.
If it's 38 S&W caliber then it's a .38 Double Action 3rd Model with serial numbers running from 119001 in 1884 to 322700 in 1895.

Jim

Date of Birth Mod 15-4

I would like to know when my S&W 38spl was born.
It is a Model 15-4 and the first part of the Serial # is ADU9.
Thanks.

Rokky: your revolver serial number falls between ADT3000 (January 1984) & AEV9999 (November 1984). Strangely, the 15-4 was introduced in 1977 and replaced by the 15-5 in 1982, so either some old frames were being used up in 1984 or yours was stamped out of sequence sometime between 1980 with the introduction of the AAAxxxx serial range and the official discontinuation of the 15-4 in 1982.

Need Help ID revolver

I was given a S&W revolver six shot that is in pretty good shape. I can't find a model number anywhere on it. It's got a short barrell and has a crown and BNP stamped on it. The serial number is 8393XX. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back