Smith and Wesson serial number search

S/N help please

I've got a couple of older S&W's that need birthdays:

M37 Airweight 3" 325xxx

M19 2.5" 6K50xxx

I'll be leaving hints for the wife about this book.

Would anyone know the date manufacturing of the following serial number:
J886XXX
Approximate value range if I decided to sell it?
1981. $350 give or take depending on condition.

M37 Airweight 3" 325xxx

M19 2.5" 6K50xxx
M37 Airweight 3" 325xxx = ~1964
M19 2.5" 6K50xxx = 1974

Jim

S&W pre-27 .357 w/ diamond target grips

I picked up a nice pre-27 S&W with a S 96xxx Serial no. this past weekend. The gun had a set of the diamond target "coke" grips on it that were not numbered but had obviously been on the gun for a long time.

Can you help me with date of manufacture- I'm guesssing '54 or '55 - and if the target grips could possibly be orginal to the gun or did they have to be a later addition?

THANKS!

I picked up a nice pre-27 S&W with a S 96xxx Serial no. this past weekend. The gun had a set of the diamond target "coke" grips on it that were not numbered but had obviously been on the gun for a long time.

Can you help me with date of manufacture- I'm guesssing '54 or '55 - and if the target grips could possibly be orginal to the gun or did they have to be a later addition?
1953. Target grips usually were not numbered. However, 1953 is too early for "cokes". They started around 1956 with the 44 Magnum.
Correct grips in 1953 would be diamond magnas or Non relieved diamond targets, but I wouldn't complain about having "cokes".

Jim

My Grandfather's Model 36

I just inherited my grandfather's Model 36 "Chief's Special" snubnose. The gun has a serial number of 443266 with no letters. Can someone tell me what year this gun is?

I just inherited my grandfather's Model 36 "Chief's Special" snubnose. The gun has a serial number of 443266 with no letters. Can someone tell me what year this gun is?
Serial numbers start at 295000 in 1962 and end at 786544 in 1969.

Jim

Laytonj1. Sorry about not getting back to ya to soon, been busy. Yes my weapon jams at the hammer. When i'm fireing i can shoot for a little while then it just jams. I'm asumeing that the powder is withholding the revolver from rotating to the next shell. Even when i pull the hammer back it will not react. Jammed!!! Like i said i know there is a pin in there that helps with the turning of the revolver or should i say it's suppose to stop it but it's also suppose to release when your ready for the next round. I can open the cylinder and manually complete the cycle but should not have to do that. Any suggestions? Once again the weapon in ? is the S&W 44mag, Dirty Harry. 1975 made..thanks again.

A couple of years ago my dad sent me a S&W revolver .22 rimfire he found in a pawnshop in Arizona. It is mint with very elaborate engraving on it. I'm trying to determine the model and the approximate year of manufacture. Serial is 1619xx. Thanks in advance.

M19-6 Date of Manufacture

I have just joined The FiringLine after finding it when looking for information about date of manufacture of my M19.

The serial # is: BHT03xx

Can't find much information about its value. Can someone help? It's in very good condition with a small amount of wear at the muzzle and some use marks. Bluing is 90%.

Need help with ID & DOB

My neighbor asked me to look at her late husbands revolver today and I have no knowledge of S&W's. I could not find a model # on it, but it looks like a M36 or M60. It is a nickel plated snub nose 5 shot with hammer, round butt and non-adjustable sights (the rear sight is just a groove). The SN is R122XXX.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a Mod 36 no dash SN J146XX. I think it is about 1969 but not sure
1969 would be correct.

A couple of years ago my dad sent me a S&W revolver .22 rimfire he found in a pawnshop in Arizona. It is mint with very elaborate engraving on it. I'm trying to determine the model and the approximate year of manufacture. Serial is 1619xx.
Gonna need more info. Did you get the serial number from the bottom of the frames grip butt? Is there a letter prefix? Is it a swing out cylinder?

I have just joined The FiringLine after finding it when looking for information about date of manufacture of my M19.

The serial # is: BHT03xx

Can't find much information about its value. Can someone help? It's in very good condition with a small amount of wear at the muzzle and some use marks. Bluing is 90%.
~1991. About $350. And another $50 or so if it's a 2.5" barrel.

My neighbor asked me to look at her late husbands revolver today and I have no knowledge of S&W's. I could not find a model # on it, but it looks like a M36 or M60. It is a nickel plated snub nose 5 shot with hammer, round butt and non-adjustable sights (the rear sight is just a groove). The SN is R122XXX.
R122XXX = 1974/75. The "R" prefix makes it a model 60 which is stainless steel.

two Smith and Wesson 41's:

1) A6538xx
2) A7158xx

A6538xx = 1980
A7158xx = 1981

Jim

Yes my weapon jams at the hammer. When i'm fireing i can shoot for a little while then it just jams. I'm asumeing that the powder is withholding the revolver from rotating to the next shell. Even when i pull the hammer back it will not react. Jammed!!! Like i said i know there is a pin in there that helps with the turning of the revolver or should i say it's suppose to stop it but it's also suppose to release when your ready for the next round. I can open the cylinder and manually complete the cycle but should not have to do that. Any suggestions?
Honestly, there are many things that could cause that. While I suspect ammo or crud where it shouldn't be, I would highly suggest the next time it does it leave it alone and let someone more knowledgeable about guns look at it or take it to a gunshop and let them check it out.

Jim

Quote:
A couple of years ago my dad sent me a S&W revolver .22 rimfire he found in a pawnshop in Arizona. It is mint with very elaborate engraving on it. I'm trying to determine the model and the approximate year of manufacture. Serial is 1619xx.

Gonna need more info. Did you get the serial number from the bottom of the frames grip butt? Is there a letter prefix? Is it a swing out cylinder?

Serial from bottom of grip butt. Has a K on the left, didn't notice it before. Affirmative on the swing out cylinder.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I've got a S&W mod 36 that I purchased from a sheriff's deputy in Nebraska in the late eighties or early nineties. The finish on it is still about 95%. I'm entering all of my firearms into a "Gunsafe" database and would like to know for records purposes when it was made.

The serial number is 604Jxx. Any idea when that was made?

Back