Smith and Wesson serial number search

smith and wesson age from serial number

a friend brought a s&w wheel gun in my store the other day that i could not find in my gun value book so i believe it was modified. It had a bull barrel a bo-mar sight railing system and it was in 357 mag. i looked for the model on the yoke and saw a " T " that was all. the serial # is c927xxx. any ideas about what i saw.

old squid

the serial # is c927xxx. any ideas about what i saw.
The serial number dates it as a Model 10 (38 Special) made in 1967. The fact that it has been modified and rechambered to 357 magnum would be a reason to avoid it.

Jim

thanks jim

thanks for the info jim. the gun looked really sound 95% on bluing every where. If i get to look at it again i'll check caliber carfully. any idea about the lack of a model other than a t on the yoke.

Jeff (old squid)

any idea about the lack of a model other than a t on the yoke.
Without inspecting it I couldn't tell you.
The model 13 (357 magnum version of the model 10) started production in 1974 and had a "D" prefix serial number from that era. in 1972 there were some model 10's chambered for 357 magnum as a special order for the N.Y.S.P. But your C prefix means that frame started life as a 38 special. So, there is no telling what all has been done to it.

Jim

Gentlemen, I have one that does not seem to show up like it should. It is a 4 screw N frame marked "MADE IN U.S.A." on the right side below the barrel boss, S&W logo on the left below the Cyl Release, with a serial on the butt of 1902XX and a 23947 visible when the crane is open, no model indication. The butt is drilled for a lanyard ring. It is a frame (one of 5) I bought years ago and I have made it a shooter.

serial on the butt of 1902XX
.45 Hand Ejector Model of 1917. 25000 of them falling within the serial number range of 181983 to 207043 were shipped to Brazil in 1938 with many of them imported back to the U.S. in 1990.

Jim

Okay, so I have a 357 magnum it says it's at 65-3 but it has a 4 inch barrel on it. So would that make it 65 4? Or what? It was handed down to me so just trying to get some information. Thanks

it says it's at 65-3 but it has a 4 inch barrel
The dash number refers to engineering changes, not barrel lengths.
In the case of the model 65 the -3 was the elimination of the pinned barrel and counterbored chambers.
The 65-3 ran from 1982 to 1988.

Jim

Help on 629 info

Can someone help me find info on my pistol as well? M 629 1 (no dash) ajk51##
I am try to find a rough value on the gun as well. Good conditions. Hardly fired. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!
Dc

Last edited:
M 629 1 (no dash) ajk51##
A 629 1 is a -1. The serial number dates it to mid 1980's which would also make it a -1. A no dash would have a pinned barrel and/or recessed chambers and a "N" prefix serial number.
Value for gun alone in excellent condition would be in the $600 and up range depending on location and barrel length.

Jim

Date of Manufacture

Hello,
Can someone please help me determine the date of manufacture/shipping for my model 17-4 ser no. 244K502 ?
Thanks.

help identify gun

This was a gun my father inherited and then I inherited. It is a Smith and Wesson with #'s on the butt and bottom of barrel B5209XX. The crane area has markings 73215. The caliber listed on the side is 38 special and has a 6" barrel.

Looking for info on its age, since I am in California, and is this a desirable or collectable gun or just a gun to use.

I have several newer 38 specials that he used for competition that I now use to shoot regularly, so this is just an extra to me and holds no sentimental value.

It is what I would say is average shape. Value?

Thanks

#'s on the butt and bottom of barrel B5209XX
I'm assuming the number on the butt is 5209xx and does not have a prefix and that it is a 6 shot.
That said, it would be a .38 Military & Police made in the late 1920's.
S&W made over a million of them so value is not high unless in very high condition or if it is a target model (adjustable sights). Figure about $400 or so.

Jim

Back