Smith and Wesson serial number search

Serial Number info

I have an opportunity to purchase a S&W .38 that the seller claims was manufactured in the 40's. Ser. # is 717XX. Just trying to confirm before I invest. Thanks.

S&W .38 that the seller claims was manufactured in the 40's. Ser. # is 717XX.
Prior to 1968, S&W reused the same serial numbers across a lot of different models. To determine the DOB I would first need to know what model it is.
Does it hold 5 or 6 rounds? What is the exact chambering stamped on the side of the barrel, ie- .38 S&W or .38 S&W Spl.? Did the number you gave come from a number stamped on the inside cutout for the yoke assembly(which would be an assembly number) or was it taken from the underside of the grip frame (which would be the SN) or in the case of a Regulation Police model, the SN would be located on the forward portion of the grip frame.

Jim

It is a 5-shot .38 Special
That would make it a Chiefs Special. I'm at work right now (slow day) so I don't have the book in front of me but that SN would date it to mid 1950's.
I'll post a more accurate date after I get home.

Jim

Serial AHY5(6?)XXX
Since you have the original box, on the end label there should be a 4 digit number under the heading "spec ord". The first number is the year in 1980 and the other 3 are the julian date. Example: 5123 would be the 123rd day of 1985.

Otherwise AHY is around 1985.

Jim

"Serial AHY5(6?)XXX
Since you have the original box, on the end label there should be a 4 digit number under the heading "spec ord". The first number is the year in 1980 and the other 3 are the julian date. Example: 5123 would be the 123rd day of 1985.

Otherwise AHY is around 1985."

Thanks, Jim! Weird thing is the box has no label on it whatsoever. I was surprised to see that!

My 36-1

From my Brother in Law who carried it to and from work in Washington State many years ago. 36-1 3" serial # J5910xx

Can anyone help me identify this S&W pre model 10? Numbers on bottom of grip are 46409 with no letters. Can't find any other numbers. It's not letting me upload pictures. It's a 6 shot. Fixed sights. Barrel says 38 S. & W. SPECIAL. Under that it says U.S. Service CTG'S. Also, is it p+ rated?

Last edited:
Numbers on bottom of grip are 46409 with no letters. It's not letting me upload pictures. It's a 6 shot. Fixed sights. Barrel says 38 S. & W. SPECIAL. Under that it says U.S. Service CTG'S. Also, is it p+ rated?
It's a .38 Military & Police Model of 1902, 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 33804 in 1903 to 62449 in 1904.

Do not use +P in it. It was made before S&W began heat treating.

Jim

Back