Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W model 19-3

Just purchased a model 19-3 with 4" barrel yesterday and was wondering if anyone on here can tell me when manufactured/produced.
Serial number 4K117XX. Thank you
UPDATE: I have searched online including S&W website and cannot find anything related to production dates using serial numbers for my 19-3. Did not think it would be this difficult :confused:

Attachments

• 1798039_742818959070660_1785089796_n.jpg
    1798039_742818959070660_1785089796_n.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi all, my Dad just picked up a Model 36-1, but all the serial says is 4097 - is that the real serial number? I thought they had more digits. If correct, when was this thing made? It's in REALLY good shape - I think I'll make sure it gets put in the will for me. ;)

Thank you laytonj1

Appreciate the info. Strange one can find production/manufacturing dates online for other gun manufactures but not S&W. Thanks:)

S&W 13-1

Hi all, I just picked up a model 13-1, serial #2D16790 and was wondering if anyone can tell me the approximate production date? I think it was an old duty gun as it shows quite a bit of holster wear but looks to be almost unfired. Thanks!

13-1, serial #2D16790
The SCSW appendix says this serial number is definitely 1977, but the meat of the book where the Model 13 is concerned says that 1977 was the introduction of the dash-2 variant, so I would assume that your 13-1 is a very late dash-1, right before the transition.

It looks like I just came into possession of a 38 DA, Fourth Model. At least I think it is based on my research so far. The gun is a non-functional, pitted, rusted mess but I'd like to know the date on it if anyone could be so kind.

Serial number: 416109

Last edited:
38 DA, Second Model. At least I think it is based on my research so far. The gun is a non-functional, pitted, rusted mess but I'd like to know the date on it if anyone could be so kind.

Serial number: 416109
It is a top-break model, correct? That serial number would make it a 4th model.
SN's ran from 322701 in 1895 to 539000 in 1909.

Jim

Yes, fourth model. My mistake. I was still researching as I posted and edited my post as you were writing. So if production was constant this one would be around 1901 maybe? Or doesn't it work that way.

Date for S&W Model 15-3

The serial number is K964 XXX. Can anyone please tell me if this was made in 1969? Thanks in advance. dan

S&W Model 65

I just picked up a S&W Model 65. The Serial # is ANN4xxx. From reading earlier posts in this thread (I love the search feature), this appears to be a 1986 manufacture weapon. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

My ccw carry piece - S&W Model 64 2" SN=7D14xxx. Any idea on a year of manufacture?
1981, says my SCSW. Should be a dash-3 variant, and I would guess that it does have the pinned barrel. These were being phased out around 1982, I would think yours still has it.
I just picked up a S&W Model 65. The Serial # is ANN4xxx. From reading earlier posts in this thread (I love the search feature), this appears to be a 1986 manufacture weapon. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
The appendix says:
AHC1687 was Januaray 1986
AVB8654 was July 1987
...so, we have to kind of "guess" to be more specific. 1986 is most likely the answer. There are two other ways to find out (that I know of...)

First is to send a request to S&W historian Roy Jinks. He'll research your revolver and send you back a letter telling you exactly how it was ordered/produced, the date it was shipped, and where exactly it was sent. This is terrific! But it's not a free service... S&W currently charges $50 for this factory letter.

The next best way to get a closer idea is to find some kind soul that has gotten the factory letter for -HIS- gun with a serial number very near to yours, and see his letter or info from it. We often use this to help date the much, much older revolvers... as not nearly as many folks are paying for factory letters on guns from the 1980s.

Yours should be a 65-3.

Back