Smith and Wesson serial number search

S/N K3658xx
For that time period and assuming no mechanical problems, $400 well used to $700 + in minty condition.
Did S&W ever do some sort of teflon coating?
I don't believe so but I don't keep track of their newest offerings. I know the model 14 was pretty much blue only.

Jim

Jim,

As always thank you for the information. My S&W book says they did a run of these in nickle plate. However this gun appears to have some sort of silvery aftermarket finish that may actually be something like Ceracote. That finish is also on the hammer and trigger so I'm sure it's not original.

The gun looks good, owner claims the bore is nice and sharp with no pitting.

Born on date help for a s&w 28-2

Need some help trying to find out more info on this model 28-2 3inch 357 highway patrolman s283xxx any info would be great!

Hi everybody!

I am the proud new owner of a nice old S&W .38 special revolver. It was sold to me as a Model 10 dating between 1948 to 1952. From what I understand, the Model 10 designation wouldn't have come until a bit later though. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me determine approximately when it was shipped and if that date of '48-52 was accurate. The serial number is C82xxx stamped under the heel. The revolver itself is blued with a 5" tapered barrel, a square heel, wooden grips. Thanks in advance!!

Most of the replies you'll find in this thread are coming from the look-up tables in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas. It's a fantastic reference and worth the money for anyone who has a deep interest in Smith & Wesson handguns.

In that index, it does say that the "c" prefix SN's began in 1948 (with C1xxxxx) and ran to 1967 (C999999) and it doesn't give further info.

There are certain features and details that some folks can pick at on the revolver itself to get a closer estimation of it's age -- I'm not nearly so good at that... and you'll need to upload pictures.

Even with extra details, most in this forum can simply give you a range of years it was produced, according to what is published. If you truly would like to know when it was shipped, that information is indeed available -- in the form of a factory letter from the Smith & Wesson historian, Mr. Roy Jinks. The look-up and letter is a service available for $50 and if he's got the information (likely, he does!) he will tell a brief history on the model itself, he'll tell you exactly the features it had when it was shipped, the shipping date, and he'll tell you specifically to where it was shipped.

It's pretty neat. It's not free, however. :o

In the case of very old, rare, or extremely fine revolvers, the factory letter is almost a must and can greatly increase (and/or simply "back up") a value. In that way, the $50 is an easy investment.

The Model 10, and pre-Model 10 (the K-frame Hand Ejector, Military & Police, Model of 1905, Fourth Change) is perhaps the largest single produced model of handgun in the history of man. It's been suggested some 6 million have been made over the last 100+ years.

They made so many... because it is THAT good! :p I have four of them myself. ;)

Thank you guys for the help! I really appreciate it. I do intend to buy the book. I would be really interested to learn the finer details. I am really happy to finally have one of my own. I reload for all my other guns and plan to set up for this one too. I am planning to cast my own 148gr wadcutters, use some Bullseye, and go from there. It seems to be a winning combination for the .38 special. Thanks again for the replies!

M36 date of manufacture

Hello
I was hoping someone could date several revolvers I own First one is a M 36 chiefs special j408xxx. Second is a M 29 N133xxx and third is a 686 DSM AFT5XXX thank you for all your help
RR

S&W 686 serial number

Just bought my first wheel gun, a used S&W 686 no dash with 4 inch barrel. Was wondering when it was manufactured (serial #ABC21xx) and there are issues I should be aware of with this model. Thanks.

What do I have here?

Looking at a new gun that showed up in one of my favorite shops...

Looks like a Victory model. Parkerized finish with lanyard loop, square butt. 38 S&W (not Special) 6" barrel, thin barrel, round top front sight, 5 screw. S/N 728xxx. Pinned barrel, The hammer looks right. No prefix on the serial number. No British proof marks.

The grips do not appear to be original as they are missing the diamond.

Cannot tell if it is a 1905 variant or a Victory. My SCSW (3rd ed.) does not nail it down.

Jim,

I'm also thinking it's a K-200 but there are no British proof marks anywhere on the gun which is why I could not settle on it being this.

As the SCSW does not spell it out would the K-200 have caliber markings is US nomentclature (.38 S&W CTG) or British (38/200 CTG) on the side of the barrel?

The finish on this gun is about 75% maybe 80% (might even be better as I suck at this sort of estimation) with most of the bare metal showing is on the very edges of sharp edged parts like the cylinder release. How can I tell if it's a refinish? I realize that is not easy. Neither the hammer or trigger have been treated and are as finished from S&W.

My understanding is the non-blued finish on S&W war guns was thin and easily worn off.

Simply put, the gun is in terrific condition. All serial number marked parts match. The action is nice and tight, the finish is as I've described. No import marks. No British proof marks. No US Property marks.The grips are not original as they do not bear the S&W diamond.

The seller has the thing priced at $650.

Back