Smith and Wesson serial number search

Request for Info

Hi folks... good to be here. This is my first post on this forum so I want to start out right by thanking those of you who provide help and info.
I just received my first S&W (it was left to me). It's the 10th in my small, but growing collection, and my first S&W.

Its a .357 model 681; serial no. ADP0896

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me when it was manufactured. It does not appear to have been fired (or if it was, it was very little and meticulously cleaned/maintained).

I know laytonj1 mentions in the beginning of this thread about a book entitled "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" which I will certainly look into getting at some future point, but for now, being this is the first S&W added to my collection, I'm just hoping to date it.
I would like to thank laytonj1 and so many others in advance for help so many of us to date our firearms.

Any info regarding date of manufacture and value is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Hey guys, I have a couple of Smiths I'd like to know the dates on.

629-3 (BPW2XXX) I think it's a B but it may be an S.
19-3 (2K42XXX)

Put a deposit down on my first S&W J-Frame, my old timer uncle said to find a 642 no-dash and I did. In very nice shape - I'm excited!

Can you guys help me with it's age? SN is BMA57xx

Appreciate the help,

JT

Last edited:
model 37 airweight.38spl

Serial on bottom of grip is J585xx. Any guess on DOB.
BTW Whats the name of book where I can get the info so I wont be buggin you guys?

S&W .22 Revolver in auction ad

Saw a listing in an auction for a S&W .22 revolver. Only info was the picture, adjustable rear sight and SN M1909XX. Can anyone help with model#, age, and any details? TIA.

SN is BMA57xx

Serial numbers ran from J1 in 1969 to J99999 in 1970.
Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, currently on it's third edition.

SN M1909XX
Serial number dates it to 1981. Five different models used that serial number sequence so if you could list the auction number I could take a look and maybe determine the model. You can PM me if you don't want to reveal the auction number to others.

Jim

Im curious if someone could identify my .38 special s&w ctg. The serial number is 2412xx and i was wondering if someone could give me a little history on the gun. It has a 6" barrel and as far as i can tell is fairly old. Im new to the whole gun scene. There was another number just behind the cylinder that is visible when you load. Just a four digit number. Does this mean anything?

I am not quite as good as some of these guys, but your revolver with serial number 2412xx sounds as though it is a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector, Military & Police Model of 1905, Fourth Change.

I say that because I have two of them myself. ;) My older one is likely a 1917 production date and carries a 272xxx serial number. My "newer" one carries a 357xxx number and I had it identified with a Smith & Wesson factory letter by historian Roy Jinks and he dated it to 1921. I would hazard a guess that yours is a 1915 or 1916 production year.

This Fourth Change evolved in to what is commonly known as the Model 10. It's a K-frame, fixed sight .38 Special revolver.

The serial number on these can be found on the bottom of the grip frame (butt), on the breech end of the cylinder itself and on the underside of the barrel. The four digit number you noted was used internally at the factory during production and has no significance for our use.

What kind of shape is it in? Any pictures? The K-frame Smith & Wesson .38 revolver is one of the most produced guns in history of the world. It has been suggested that some six million have been produced.

Fantastic example of American craftsmanship, but not rare.

Was it a handgun passed down in your family?

Looking at a model 14. S/N K3658xx

Seeking approximate age and value in 'average' condition.

Did S&W ever do some sort of teflon coating?

Back