Smith and Wesson serial number search

serial number VCR92xx
S&W serial numbering system for semi autos made from the 1990's and on is very confusing. The SCSW does not give complete listings.
You're best bet is to call S&W's customer service. They will give you the DOB over the phone for free.

ID for old S&W top break 44
I can't give you anymore info than others have already offered.

Jim

Looking at a K-38
5 screw, 6 inch original grips
SN K786
I am guessing early 1950's but possibly earlier due to lanyard ring hole in bottom of grip frame.
Seller wants 595 for her and am about to add her to my collection
Thanks for any and all help.

My book says that a K-frame with K786 as an exact serial number would be a 1947 revolver. However, if K786 was merely the leading alpha and three numerals and the full serial number is actually K786xx then it would be a 1949 date.

And if the K786 were the leading three and it was actually a SIX digit number, K786xxx, then it would be a 1968 date.

^^^^sevens^^^^

You realize you rock right?
THANK YOU

she does in fact have two more digits only so 1949 it is!
I better jump on it you think? :0)

lanyard ring hole in bottom of grip frame
At $595 hopefully the rest of the gun is in minty condition because a lanyard hole drilled into the frame (not original for that model) will kill it's collector value.
Now, if the grips cover it and/or you just want it for a shooter then go for it.

Jim

^^^^sevens^^^^

You realize you rock right?
Appreciate that, but it's definitely Supica, Nahas, Smith and Wesson that rock, I'm merely trying to decipher stuff I see in the index of a book. :D

But glad I could help.

My opinion on gun: I love pretty guns, but I buy them to shoot, and shoot a lot. I make absolutely no judgements on what other people wish to do when gun shopping or owning. To me, if it's gorgeous -AND- it's old, I get far more enjoyment by seeing it and enjoying it's owner sharing his love for it. If I'm spending my money, I'm buying one that costs a little less, maybe has some more wear on it... because I'm going to feed it more ammo than 95% of the people who own guns in this country. (not more than 95% of the people on this forum, though. ;))

At $595, I'd rather it be someone else's pride and joy, I'd shop for a later Model 14 for less money. And also IMO, Model 14's are -phenomenal- purchases because they made so many that they just don't carry a price tag that reflect their value as a quality, wonderful shooting revolver.

If Model 14's weren't made in such large numbers, they would cost more than $595 and they'd be worth every penny. But the reality is that there are a lot of Model 14's out there.

If I were spending your money and not my own, there's no doubt I would buy and own and shoot that gun! :D;)

Thanks 7

I'm with you, I enjoy stepping back into time with firearms.
The old K series remind me of trips to the range with Pops.
I wouldn't own a car and not drive it, same with my guns

The 595 for this one is a good enough price not to deter me from buying it or worrying about it depreciating in value.
I will get my money's worth a cylinder at a time

I have a Model 28-2 4-inch s/n N598208 and 6-inch s/n S322732. Could you tell me the mfr date? Also, was the 4-inch for a foreign contract? There are some proof marks on it.

Thanks!

The pre-Model 10, referred to in the book as the Hand Ejector, Military and Police Model of 1905, 4th Change is a tough one to date. In the book, we simply look up the serial number in a table. But this book doesn't get specific with the one revolver that Smith & Wesson made... like six million of.

So, aside from getting a factory letter from Roy Jinks, best you can do is find other folks who HAVE gotten a factory letter and try to find a close number to yours to get an idea.

Here's your first nugget of help: Mine is serial number 357xxx and my factory letter dates it to 1921.

Good luck!

I just traded for a K-22 (Model 17-4).

Serial Number: 271K8xx

Thanks, in advance.

Mmm, okay, never mind. Looks like 1983.

But, of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

Will

Last edited:
Could it be a 29-1 or earlier with that serial #? It is pinned and recessed, 44 Mag.

I thought all 29-2 numbers started with N. The guy claims the serial number starts with S181XXX.

N Series N Frames:
N1 – N60,000………….......1970-72
N60,001 – N 190,000…...1972-74
N190,001 – N430,000…...1975 – 77
N430.001 – N 550,000…..1978
N550,001 – N580,000….. 1979
N580,001 – N790,000…...1980
N790,001 – N932,999...…1980-83

Confused newbie - Thanks again!

Last edited:
Could it be a 29-1 or earlier with that serial #? It is pinned and recessed, 44 Mag.

I thought all 29-2 numbers started with N. The guy claims the serial number starts with S181XXX.
With that serial number it would likely be a 29 no dash.
Otherwise, to be a 29-2 the serial number would have a "N" prefix. Maybe he is mistaking the N for a S. N181XXX would be a -2.

Jim

Back