Smith and Wesson serial number search

old serial number

it's a .38 DA 4th Model 3 1/2 barrel
s/n 5013xx
i know it's pretty old
you wouldn't happen to be able to tell me how old it is?
polkey

it's a .38 DA 4th Model 3 1/2 barrel
s/n 5013xx
i know it's pretty old
you wouldn't happen to be able to tell me how old it is?
SN 322701-539000 made from 1895 - 1909.

I inherited a S&W model 19-3 with a serial 4K32XXX, could someone tell be about how old it is?

Jim

Hi, I am trying to find some info for my Dad regarding the history and year of his Smith and Wesson revolver.

I am unable to find a model # anywhere.
I believe it's a 4" Barrel and says .38 S&W Special CTG.
It has a hand ejector button on the side.
The S/N is V136XXX

Thanks for any Help.
Ken

Last edited:
I just picked up Smith & Wesson Regulation Police CTG in .38s&w. The serial number is close to 23XXX. Just using the blanket serial number coverage for this shows it to be made from 1917-1940.
Can anyone else give me a little more information on this piece? I will send off for the S&W letter on November 1st when they allow applications again. Thanks!

S_W_38_CTG_002.sized.jpg

S_W_38_CTG_003.sized.jpg

S_W_38_CTG_006.sized.jpg

I am unable to find a model # anywhere.
The S/N is V136298
V1 - V811119 were made from 1942 - 1945.
The 38 Special Victory model. The "V" prefix stood for Victory as these were made for the military during WWII. These are a early version of what went on to become the model 10 when S&W changed to model numbers in 1958.

I just picked up Smith & Wesson Regulation Police CTG in .38s&w. The serial number is close to 23XXX. Just using the blanket serial number coverage for this shows it to be made from 1917-1940.
Unfortunately, the book only shows SN 1 - 54474 from 1917 - 1940. You might be able to get a closer dob from S&W customer service over the phone for free. Cost nothing to try.

Jim

The S/N is V136XXX
I can get a little more specific than laytonj1. ;) Your gun was made in October or November of 1942. Wartime demand was so great that S&W shoved Victories out the door as fast as they could crank them out, making it very easy for collectors to correlate the build dates and serial numbers. BTW I own V92514; it has a 5" barrel and is chambered in .38/200 (.38S&W) for export to the U.K. under Lend-Lease.

FWIW your gun should have smooth walnut stocks, a lanyard loop on the butt, and a tiny "flaming bomb" U.S. military acceptance mark on the butt in front of the loop. Most Victories in this timeframe had "Black Magic" finish, which is a matte finish similar to parkerizing but more dark grey than black, and it tends to be thinner and more easily scratched. :( However, these guns were frequently refinished and fitted with aftermarket stocks when they were resold on the surplus market after the war.

Also look for other marks; Victories used by the U.S. Navy were frequently marked in a variety of ways, and these guns were also issued to guards at various wartime production factories, so they can also be found with markings for various U.S. corporations. However, guns marked "U.S.M.C." were reposrtedly used by the U.S. Maritime Commission, not the Marine Corps. :rolleyes:

Another search...

Inherited my grandfather's revolver recently.

It's a heavy (N-frame?) S&W .357 w/a 6" barrel. I'm assuming a model 27. I think purchased in the 50s, but don't really know. Don't have the original box or manual.

SN: S108xxx

Smith @ Wesson model 10-5

Can you help with the dating of this revolver I just purchased. I'm wanting to find the dating of its birth. The serial is: D93xxx. It is a 4 inch barrel. Blue finish in 38 cal..

Also, can I use plus P ammo in this gun. thanks
Stanley

Can you help with the dating of this revolver I just purchased. I'm wanting to find the dating of its birth. The serial is: D93xxx. It is a 4 inch barrel. Blue finish in 38 cal..

Also, can I use plus P ammo in this gun.
1969. +P would be okay.

Jim

S & W 10-5 --thank you

Thanks Laytonj1 for the dating. I thought it was either 1969 or 1970, but not sure. Wasn't sure about plus P cartridges either. Thanks again

Stanley

mfg date on my model 10 S&W. Serial #789xxx

Layton advised to post the letter prefix.. There is none! There is a suffix on the butt way off to the right of the serial # but not connected to it and does not preceed it. The letter is F

Layton advised to post the letter prefix.. There is none! There is a suffix on the butt way off to the right of the serial # but not connected to it and does not preceed it. The letter is F
It sounds like your gun could be a .38 M&P Model of 1905, 4th Change.

Questions:

Does the gun actually have "MOD. 10" stamped on the inside of the yoke cut, or did you assume it's a Model 10 based on its features?

Is there a screw on the upper sideplate and the forward end of the trigger guard?

Does it have a long action hammer? (Refer page 20 of this thread, I posted pictures.)

Are there a series of patent dates stamped on top of the barrel?

Is the serial number repeated on the rear face of the cylinder and the underside of the barrel above the ejector rod?

Layton advised to post the letter prefix.. There is none!
Then it's probably not a model 10. Model 10's started in 1958 when S&W started assigning model numbers and it would have a letter prefix.
As Carguychris said, you may have a 38 Military and Police (pre model 10). It would look about the same. If that's the case then SN 789XXX would date it between 1940 - 1945.

Jim

Mod 10-5

Just picked up a sweet 2" Mod 10-5. S/N D3010XX. Seller thought it was from 1970. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Back