Smith and Wesson serial number search

Jim,

It looks the same, except it does not have a guide rod below the barrel. The bottom hinge in front of the cylinder is more round, and the hammer is silver and smaller. The barrel break on top is right in front of the hammer and its round and you pull up.
Also, if it was made in the late 1800's, how could it have "Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass U.S.A. Pat'D Jan17 24.65, July 11. 65, Aug 24. 69, July 25, 71, May 11. 188C" on the barrel?

It looks the same, except it does not have a guide rod below the barrel. The bottom hinge in front of the cylinder is more round, and the hammer is silver and smaller. The barrel break on top is right in front of the hammer and its round and you pull up.
So does it look more like this:
32centerfire.jpg

That look like it!
What can anyone tell me about it?
That is a S&W single action (model 1 and 1/2) in 32 centerfire (32 S&W).
They were made from 1878 -1892 and your barrel markings/dates match what the book says this model would have. Problem is, the book says the serial numbers for these ended at 97574.

The two pictures I posted are of the only versions of a .32 with no trigger guard (single action) that I can find in the book. I would suggest joining the S&W forum at this link and posting your question, with the picture, to the "S&W Revolvers 1857 - 1945" section. Someone a lot more knowledgeable can help you there.

Jim

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

1) Does the gun have an intertwined-"S&W" logo on it?
Yes on the handle.

2) Do you load and unload the gun by pressing a latch on the side, which makes the cylinder swing out to the left?
No

3) If not, I assume that you load and unload the gun by squeezing two buttons on the top rear of the gun,
No buttons there is a lever on top, in front of the trigger, you lift up that makes the barrel hinge down and cylinder hinge up.
I assume that it is still considered a top break.
Does it have a visible hammer? yes

4) If so, does it have a trigger guard (loop of metal around the trigger), and does the hammer move backwards by itself when the trigger is pulled? These two features should normally coincide.
Yes
OK, my explanation of how to open a top-break wasn't very accurate, but anyways... :o

It's a .32 Double Action 3rd Model, manufactured 1882-1883. :cool:

How about a S&W M 60-7 BSD7XXX?

And what does the -7 denote in change from previous?

Thanks in advance!!!

Also what about +P in this vintage?

no letter prefix. i am confused i thought this thing was a model ten. huh
Based on your picture, it's a 1930s-vintage .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. It's the predecessor to the Model 10.

See my earlier note about keeping +P ammo far, far away from this gun...
poor thing is a beater, maybe i'll get a two inch barrel for it and call it my carry gun.
NO!! STOP!!! :eek: It looks like it's in pretty good original condition for a 4th Change! Yeah, the finish is worn, but it's not too bad. Too many Model of 1905s have already been turned into "gun show specials" when someone flippantly hacked the barrel- PLEASE don't create another one! :rolleyes:

If you must hack up an M&P, please choose a 4" tapered barrel C- or D-prefix Model 10... they're plentiful. If cash is short, I'm sure you can find a knowledgeable collector who will buy this nice old 4th Change from you for more than what that Model 10 will cost. I'd make an offer but I just emptied my cookie jar to buy a Lee-Enfield No.4 MkI. :)

{EDIT} BTW the gun appears C&R eligible based on the serial number; the only question is whether or not it's been modified. If it's C&R, you can legally sell it to an out-of-state C&R FFL, and you're allowed to ship it to them. Please post more pictures so we can check it out. :)

I'll create a different thread so i don't clog this one up, however the front sight has been ground down to almost nothing. I'm going to take it out this weekend and see if i can hit anything with that strange sight.:confused:

Hi y'all,

The only S&W I own that Im blank on its origins is a 3rd change 29 with serial # ALB8xxx. Anyone have the reference book handy?

Thanks much.
tony

How about a S&W M 60-7 BSD7XXX?
And what does the -7 denote in change from previous?
Thanks in advance!!!
Also what about +P in this vintage?
1994/95. The dash numbers refer to engineering changes. -7 was started in 1990 increasing the front sight width to 1/8" and a new heat treating package.
Though not specifically rated for +P, being all steel it is safe to use it.

The only S&W I own that Im blank on its origins is a 3rd change 29 with serial # ALB8xxx. Anyone have the reference book handy?
Your 29-3 was made in 1985.

Jim

no letter prefix. i am confused i thought this thing was a model ten. huh
You were on the right track, they did not become known as model 10's until 1958. As Carguychris said, your picture shows a Military and Police pre war.

Jim

Any idea on the age of a S&W 34-1 with 2" barrell, SN M514xx?

It is in very good shape, ball park on the value?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea on the age of a S&W 34-1 with 2" barrell, SN M514xx?
It is in very good shape, ball park on the value?
1972/73. I'm not sure on a value but I know the 34's are desireable to S&W collectors. I would guess ~$400.

Thanks Jim,
Here's a picture;
Wow, and a 3" at that! That's nice.

Jim

Back