Smith and Wesson serial number search

Holy cow, that's older than I'd have guessed. I bought it in about 1991 or 1992, and would have only figured it for a couple years old. The years have been very kind to my nickle plated beauty. Thanks for the info, neighbor.

29-1.jpg

29-2.jpg

Last edited:
Dating Handguns

I'm trying to date a couple of guns I inherited. I don't know much about guns. They are both S&W one is a 38 special #K 224xxx and I think a 45 #K275xxx. Thanks for any help.

1) Does the gun have an intertwined-"S&W" logo on it?
Yes on the handle.

2) Do you load and unload the gun by pressing a latch on the side, which makes the cylinder swing out to the left?
No

3) If not, I assume that you load and unload the gun by squeezing two buttons on the top rear of the gun,
No buttons there is a lever on top, in front of the trigger, you lift up that makes the barrel hinge down and cylinder hinge up.
I assume that it is still considered a top break.
Does it have a visible hammer? yes

4) If so, does it have a trigger guard (loop of metal around the trigger), and does the hammer move backwards by itself when the trigger is pulled? These two features should normally coincide.
Yes

OK, my explanation of how to open a top-break wasn't very accurate, but anyways...

It's a .32 Double Action 3rd Model, manufactured 1882-1883.

Thanks for all your help can you tell me what the gun might be worth? I will try to post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to date a couple of guns I inherited. I don't know much about guns. They are both S&W one is a 38 special #K 224xxx and I think a 45 #K275xxx.
K224XXX = 1954
K275XXX = 1956 and "K" frames were only offered in 22LR thru 357 Magnum.

Jim

Hello,

My dad just passed his S&W down to me. Model 27-2, Serial N611XXX. Any information about this beauty would be much appreciated. Other than slight wear at the muzzle, she looks awesome and hasn't been fired much.

Thanks in advance,
agdrummer

I just acquired a Model 19-3 S/N 2K35186. I tried to find out the manufacture date of the piece so searched for serial number look up and it pointed me to this site. As I went through the posts I can see why, there are some very knowledgeable people on this site on the S&W models and serail numbers.

Could you guys kindly let me know what the manufacture date?

Is there a website I can look up additional information about the M19, like where it was old originally for example.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Model 27-2, Serial N611XXX
1979/80. The -2 was the last version to have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers (P&R) making it more desirable to collectors.
Model 19-3 S/N 2K35186
1971. You can find a lot of information about S&W's in general from the book The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson. That's were we get the serial number to manuf. dates from. To find out the exact date your gun was shipped and were it shipped to you will have to pay for a letter/history look up from S&W which just increased to $50.
You can also go to this forum to learn more about S&W's:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

Jim

S&W Serial Number

Hello, I just placed a MINT S&W Model 10, 2 in barrel on layaway. Looks like it has never been fired. The blueing is in perfect condition and the wooden grips still retain their shine.

Could you please tell me the age of the weapon.

S&W Model 10 2 in # 10D94XX

P.S. Also, could you please tell me the age of Model 18-1 # D9387XX
Thanks much!

Jonathan

Last edited:
Back