Smith and Wesson serial number search

Picture of frame area

<<<Is it actually stamped "686-2", i.e., on a single line and looking like it was stamped at the same time? That's the way it should be if it's actually a -2, and based on the SN/production date that's what it should be rather than a "no dash". The whole point of the -2 was to fix the earlier problems with the -1 and earlier guns, so I can't imagine they'd label a gun as the -2 but use the old -1 parts.

The "M" is a bit curious because the -2 definitely did not need to be modified. S&W is famous for extraneous stampings in the frame cutout, some of which are "assembly numbers" used to keep track of fitted parts during the manufacturing process, but I wouldn't think they'd use an "M" for that purpose. Given the apparent confusion, and the seeming importance of the recall issue for the early 586/686 guns, I think a call to S&W customer support would answer a lot of questions for you as they should have records indicating what, if anything, was done to that particular gun.>>>

FlyFish,

Here's a closeup of the area. Looks to me like it is a 686 with no room to stamp a -2 on the end so they marked it atop of the 686. Looks like an "M" follows the 2. I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig -

This is very curious. As I alluded to earlier, I have never seen the "dash" variation indicated other than on the same line, in the same font, with the correct spacing, and appearing as though it had all been stamped at the same time. If there's insufficient room in the frame cutout, the "Mod" part is usually on a different "line" immediately above the numerals. None of that is the case here, and I don't think that "2" is intended to indicate that the gun is a -2 model - at least I've never seen the dash variation marked that way. The "M" on the other hand appears identical to the M stamped on my guns to indicate that they had the firing pin/bushing modification made. The confusion comes because, according to SCSW, the SN should indicate 1988 production, at which time it should have been a -2, which didn't need the modification.

SNs have been used out of their correct order at times, and that may be the case here, so you may have a "no dash" with a SN out of normal range that was subsequently modified in response to the recall. Jim (laytonj1), if you're reading this perhaps you could venture an opinion - you know tons more about this stuff than I do.

Given the confusion, and the fact that this model was the subject of a very rare recall, I'm sure that S&W Customer Service would be willing and able to tell you exactly what the story is if you give them the SN. If you do call them and find out, please post back here and let us know what the answer is.

woodlecj,

The CS-1 stamped on the frame identifies it as product code 104229. It was part of a special order made for the U.S. Customs Service in 1988. Besides the CS-1 stamp, they had a 4" barrel, pinned black front sight, round butt and dull grey bead blast finish. There was also a 3" version, product code 104228.
The "2M" stamp means the gun had the bushing recall done before it was shipped.
These guns also sale for a premium.

Jim

Last edited:
38 special

I recently came into possession of a:

"38 s&w special
& Us Service"

serial: "531xx" located on bottom of the grip

Looks old like 1920s. Only marking are those in quotes that I can tell.

Any ideas of what this is and about how old? I know value is subjective

Pre-10?
"38 S & W SPECIAL CTG"
4" barrel
6-shot
Square butt
Blue
No letters in SN
SN = 4863xx
SN's are same under barrel and on cylinder face as well as butt

Thanks!:)

need help with s&w revolver ID

Serial #141XXX No Prefix
Nickel Plated
very small 2319 inscribed near ejector
5 inch barrel
patent dates on barrel from 1894 to 1906
.38 s&w special CTG
SB with walnut checkered grips no trade marks on grips

What year? Model? Value? any history?

Pre-10?
"38 S & W SPECIAL CTG"
4" barrel
6-shot
Square butt
Blue
No letters in SN
SN = 4863xx
SN's are same under barrel and on cylinder face as well as butt
.38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. Serial numbers ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942. Your SN is likely mid/late 1920's.

Serial #141XXX No Prefix
Nickel Plated
very small 2319 inscribed near ejector
5 inch barrel
patent dates on barrel from 1894 to 1906
.38 s&w special CTG
SB with walnut checkered grips no trade marks on grips
.38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 73251 in 1906 to 146899 in 1909.
Value depends heavily on condition and can range from a few hundred to over 1K.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you Jim. I really appreciate you taking time to share your knowlege. I'll try to upload a few images to see if you can tell me what the condition is.

Serial Lookup

Could someone please lookup K-22 K607xxx. Belonged to my great grandfater, but he probably purchased later in his life. I think mid 50's?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Back