Smith and Wesson serial number search

I am trying to identify my great-grandfather's revolver. He was a police chief back in the early 1900s. I'm afraid I'm not even sure of the model or caliber, so any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

This is a top-break, safety hammerless revolver (I think). The only markings I have found are the serial number on the bottom of the butt (61xxx) and again on the inside of the chamber. There is also "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass U.S.A. PAT'D FEBY. 20. 77. DEC. 19. 77. MAY 11. 80. SEPT. 11. 85. OCT. 2. 85. TWO AUG. 4. 85" engraved in the top of the barrel.

sw1.jpg

ketan: You have a .38 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model. About 73,000 were made between 1890 and 1898. It looks to be in very nice shape for a gun of that age, and is probably worth somewhere in the range of $600 to $700.

Serial # request

I would appreciate a serial number lookup, please. AZH2116. I just bought a 686(no dash) in stainless, 4" barrel, round butt, no security lock.

May be off topic, but I have a question on the revision numbers as well. I read somewhere that the production run of the 686 series was from 1980 to 1999. If it's a plain 686, would it be produced in the first few years of production, then the dash one is the next few years, etc.? How many revisions were there and what were the changes to each one?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Craig -

AZH prefix would correspond to 1988.

Your understanding of the "dash" system of design/engineering changes is basically correct. The "no dash" 686 was introduced in 1980. Revisions, their intro dates, and an [abbreviated] description of the changes:

-1 (1986) radius stud package, floating hand
-2 (1987) change hammer nose, bushing
-3 (1988) new yoke retention system
-4 (1993) change rear sight, drill and tap for scope, change extractor
-5 (1997) cylinder stop integral with frame, MIM hammer and trigger, internal changes
-6 (2001) introduce the dreaded ILS
-7 (2002) Performance Center model

The 686 is in current production, and I suspect they're selling tons of them. I have two, along with a pair of 586s, and they're great guns in every way.

With regard to the -2 change: that was in response to reports of cylinder lockup with some loads apparently caused by primer cup flowback into the firing pin bushing area. S&W issued a recall for the "no dash" and -1 models of the 586 and 686 so the firing pin and bushing could be changed to the new (-2) design. Guns that have been modified will be stamped with an "M" in the model number area. If your "no dash" doesn't have that, then it has the old design and I believe S&W will still make the change at no cost to you. If you're using it as a range gun (which is what I do with mine, a couple of which haven't been modified) then I probably wouldn't bother. If it's an SD gun, then you probably should call S&W and have it taken care of.

Thanks for the quick and concise response Mr. FlyFish! Let me pick your brain some more.

I checked in the crane area and it does have an "M" and a "2" there, so, I guess it makes it essentially a 686-2. Would the mods then have included the -1 parts?

Also if it was made in 1988 and the -1 was cut in to production in 1986, why would S&W still make no dash versions for two years? Only asking if you know, I'm not asking if you understand S&W manufacturing wierdness.

Thanks again,
Craig

Is it actually stamped "686-2", i.e., on a single line and looking like it was stamped at the same time? That's the way it should be if it's actually a -2, and based on the SN/production date that's what it should be rather than a "no dash". The whole point of the -2 was to fix the earlier problems with the -1 and earlier guns, so I can't imagine they'd label a gun as the -2 but use the old -1 parts.

The "M" is a bit curious because the -2 definitely did not need to be modified. S&W is famous for extraneous stampings in the frame cutout, some of which are "assembly numbers" used to keep track of fitted parts during the manufacturing process, but I wouldn't think they'd use an "M" for that purpose. Given the apparent confusion, and the seeming importance of the recall issue for the early 586/686 guns, I think a call to S&W customer support would answer a lot of questions for you as they should have records indicating what, if anything, was done to that particular gun.

First let me say I appreciate someone going to the trouble of looking these up and giving feedback. Very nice service from all participating. I have three:

Mod 17-4 SN 25K53XX

Mod 57 SN N8851XX there is no number after the Mod 57

Mod 66-3 SNBFH37XX

Mod 17-4 SN 25K53XX

Mod 57 SN N8851XX there is no number after the Mod 57

Mod 66-3 SNBFH37XX
Mod 17-4 SN 25K53XX = 1978
Mod 57 SN N8851XX there is no number after the Mod 57 = N800000 range ran from 1980 to 83 so yours would likely be closer to 1983.
Mod 66-3 SN BFH37XX = late 1989/ early 90.

Jim

Mod 27

Hello! Hoping to find out when this gun was made.

Mod 27 SN S1992XX (Blue 4" barrel)

Thanks in advance!

Just got a basket case S&W. Its gonna need a yoke and possible a sideplate. Can anybody give me the date of manufacture and any other info? Ita a 4" K-38. SN#K 306XXX. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Can anybody give me the date of manufacture and any other info? Ita a 4" K-38. SN#K 306XXX.

1957. If it doesn't have a model number you must have one of the last that was made without it (model numbering started in 1957). As you probably know, the 4" barrel - and it should have the ramped rather than Patridge front sight - makes it a K-38 Combat (vs. Target) Masterpiece, a pre-Model 15.

Need an approx. date of birth for a Model 60 SN 330xxx.

According to SCSW, Model 60 SNs started around 401754. Is there possibly an "R" in front of the numerals?

FlyFish
Thanks for the info. It also has an H stamped on the frame under the yoke and the chambers are numbered.Does this make a difference? Thanks again.

Back