Smith and Wesson serial number search

My latest editon of Standard Catolog of Smith and Wesson only covers up to 2004, so I'm guessing your 686 was made after that. However, a call to S&W at 1-800-331-0852 (Inside USA) 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (Monday - Friday) will get you a DOB free of charge.

Thank you, will do.

I'm trying to figure out if my revolver is rated for .38 SPL +P, hope the serial helps figure that...

Model 10-7...
Any model-numbered .38 can safely fire +P according to an advisory in the current S&W revolver owner's manual. M10s can handle it just fine and I fire +P in my 10-5 all the time.

The only caveats are:

1) If you own one of the rare early Airweights with an aluminum-alloy cylinder, most books on the subject advise that these guns should not be fired at all, much less with +P ammo. The cylinders are simply too weak.

2) Some 'Net enthusiasts claim that older J-frames (such as non +P stamped M36s) will "shoot loose" if subjected to a steady diet of +P loads, but I'm not sure if this has ever really been factually verified. IMHO a steady diet of +P loads through a steel J-frame will probably wear out the owner before the gun. ;)

3) There have been reports of Airweights suffering from cracked frames due to this treatment, although someone on the S&W forum tried to put this to the test by firing over 1,000 +P rounds through an M12... and the gun made it through without failure. Go here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/530103904/m/3481091842/p/1

Turns out the serial number was BEH6xxx, NOT REH6xxx. A typo on the receipt.

It is from 1989. Thanks for the help.

Old S&W

I have and older S&W revolver that my father gave me from my grandfather.

The only numbers I can find are 609##. Can anyone tell me the age and model. Just found it in the closet and haven't gotten a chance to go to gun dealer.

We'd need to know :

a) caliber
b) bbl length (from cylinder to muzzle)
c) grips shape (round or square)
d) number of shots/cylinder bores
e) type of sights.
f) if there is a letter in front of or anywhere near the s/n on the bottom of the grip

That number, if it is the s/n, should come from the butt of the grip (or under the barrel or face of the cylinder).

A picture or two is worth A LOT of words in this case...

Add to kamerer's list:

g) How does the cylinder open? Does it rotate out to the left (Hand Ejector) or does the frame have a hinge that pivots the cylinder upwards when you actuate a latch on the rear frame (Top Break)?

:)

Help with Serial Numbers/Dates for two S&W's.

Hi -

I'm looking for some assistance on manufacture dates for a couple of older Smiths that I've got in my collection. I've sent away for factory letters, but no reply yet.

The first is a 28-2 Highway Patrolman, .357, 6" barrel, marked "Wash State Patrol", in great shape. Serial #S271xxx. Underneath that is OD. 28-2.

Next is a 38/44 Heavy Duty, 6.5" barrel, 38 S.&W. Special Ctg, excellent condition. Serial S 161xxx on butt of pistol; with “6 4757” or “8 4757” with a 3 in a circle under the 4, and an H on top the 7 inside frame in yoke area.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

The first is a 28-2 Highway Patrolman, .357, 6" barrel, marked "Wash State Patrol", in great shape. Serial #S271xxx. Underneath that is OD. 28-2.
1966/67

Next is a 38/44 Heavy Duty, 6.5" barrel, 38 S.&W. Special Ctg, excellent condition. Serial S 161xxx on butt of pistol; with “6 4757” or “8 4757” with a 3 in a circle under the 4, and an H on top the 7 inside frame in yoke area.
1956/57

Jim

Back