Smith and Wesson serial number search

namvet_1969: You have a S&W Military & Police Model of 1905 4th change. Serial number range for this variant was 241704 to 758296 between 1915 & 1942.
I'm pretty sure your gun dates to the period 1915-1917, as it was manufactured prior to heat treating of cylinders, starting at serial number 316648 somewhere between 1917 & 1920. Because of this it would be prudent to only shoot it with standard pressure lead ammunition. The sights should be regulated for 158 grain lead round nose ammo anyway. It lacks the hammer block safety introduced in 1944 and potentially if dropped on the hammer it can fire. Leaving the hammer down on an empty chamber would be prudent.

The Military & Police through various engineering changes evolved to be the modern day Model 10.

Based on the serial number it could be your grandfathers gun.

Looks like we are on quite the run of prefixes that dont show up today
It's not always cut and dry with the 3 letter prefix SN's.
AEK would fall between ADT3000 in Jan 84 and AEV in Nov 84.
TCE would fall between TCB 4082 in 1988 and TED in 1989.
BJL would fall before BMB in Feb 93 but would be after the BH, BK and BF confusion running up thru Sep 92.
I think...

Jim

Age of a .38 SW

I have a very old .38 SW, with the serial 192xxx. No letters before or after the numbers. As per my knowledge about this gun it is owned by my father since the 60's and I suspect that it was owned by grandfather since a long time ago. However no one is alive to certify anymore. It has 5 screws, J-Frame and round butt.
I will ask for a factory letter to discover more about it, but is if anyone can give me any idea of it's age I would be very grateful

spacecoast: SCSW shows "BRF" as August, 1994 and then there's a gap until "CAM" in January, 1996 - so 1994 is probably the most likely, with '95 a possibility.

I have a very old .38 SW, with the serial 192xxx. No letters before or after the numbers. As per my knowledge about this gun it is owned by my father since the 60's and I suspect that it was owned by grandfather since a long time ago. However no one is alive to certify anymore. It has 5 screws, J-Frame and round butt.
Two questions. What are the exact caliber markings on the side of the barrel (need to determine if it's 38 special or 38 S&W).
Where did you take the serial number from (from the underside of the grip butt or front of the grip handle, etc.).

Jim

Couple of questions on pre 14 k38 6 inch....5 screw

Did they make the pre 14 in nickel?

What should the serial number of the nickel look like.

So have been offered one pre 14 that is single action and one the other is double action....the nickel one and a blued one.

When did they change from single to double action or was it a choice.

Sorry that is more than two questions...G

Which would be the most desirable to own they are both 98%...I will get to see them next week.

Did they make the pre 14 in nickel?

What should the serial number of the nickel look like.

When did they change from single to double action or was it a choice.
In order...

Yes, but they're uncommon. They command a premium if they're genuine.

There's no difference in the serial number. However, be warned that many older S&Ws have been refinished. A factory nickel revolver of this vintage should have a color case hammer and trigger, matte black finish on the rear sight and sight base, a blued ejector star, and the pawls on the ejector star will be natural metal. Nickel finish on any of these items is a surefire indication of a refinish.

Single-action-only was optional and somewhat uncommon.

What year does pre 14 5 screw go up to?

I believe one gun is 1954 the other is 70's

Am i right in thinking it should have non tapered barrel.

So if I am really very lucky I might have found a nickel pre 14 K 38 single action....G

If not I have found a nice blued single action .

Any more helpful hints?

thanks tel004......so no 5 screws existed after that date....should be simple to spot.

Also I presume they should have non tapered barrels if they are the true models.

They should also have the serial numbers under the barrels and not on the cylinder lock.

The 1954 run ended with number K231,255

That should help me....still find it hard to believe that he has a genuine nickel one.

Will know Tuesday when he comes to the club but don't want my eagle eyed friends with deeper knowledge that me to beat me to the punch.

so no 5 screws existed after that date....should be simple to spot.

Also I presume they should have non tapered barrels if they are the true models.

They should also have the serial numbers under the barrels and not on the cylinder lock.

The 1954 run ended with number K231,255

That should help me....still find it hard to believe that he has a genuine nickel one.
5 screw ended during 1955 for the K frame but they are some that shipped later then that.
Model 14's / K-38 / target masterpiece have a standard (not tappered) barrel.
Up to ~ 1957 will have the serial number on the barrel, cylinder, under ejector star and underside of grip butt.
Nickeled 14's are worth a premium.
Single action 14's were offered from 1961 - 1982 and are worth a small premium.

Jim

Have now narrowed down the guns.

The nickel one is 1953 double action wide rib std trigger and hammer..
grips same serial number as the gun...sounds 99 1/2%

The Blued on is 1948...single action, target trigger and hammer...non original grips...has ring mark on wheel..owned and maintained by the smith at our shooting club....but still accurate.

They are both the same price as the nickel one would be better in a show case.........I think these were made to be used but cared for and I will be using lighter loads as it is for bullseye.

Some people have said that I would do better to get a newer 686 as they are better made than these would have been.

All my current guns are older and my Clarke colt 1911 is 1976 and that seems to shoot just fine....better than i can.

But I have never seen recent 50 yard target shot with a pre 14 k38.

Question about an antique .38

I have an old pistol that belonged to an uncle who passed away in 1971, I believe he had the gun for many years but I know nothing about it other than it's a Smith and Wesson .38, I can barely see 6 digits on the butt of the gun, can anyone help me identify?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old pistol that belonged to an uncle who passed away in 1971, I believe he had the gun for many years but I know nothing about it other than it's a Smith and Wesson .38, I can barely see 6 digits on the butt of the gun, can anyone help me identify?
S&W 38 Military & Police. It appears to be a pre war (WWII) model. Would need to see the serial number on the underside of the grip butt to give a closer date. The barrel appears to have been shortened also.

Jim

Can anyone tell me how many 625-8 V-Comps were made. My serial number is RVC01XX and has a lock.
My reference does not list that serial number range. You can call S&W customer service and they will give you the DOB over the phone for free.
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

Jim

Hi Guys, was wondering if someone could tell me the manu. date of my S&W Model 36 Chief's Special, J-frame Snub .38 SPL, Serial ACJ655X.

See attached pic.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back