Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hersir- R665xx should be ~ early 1973.

The BBF prefix is July 1988.

Any S&W manufactured after 1957 when model numbers were assigned can handle +p ammunition with no problem.

Hey guys. Just came into a S&W model 25-2, serial # N734247. What is the date of manufacture and approximate value of this gun in good condition. Thanks

hey Jim i would appreciate a little help i have been holding on to an old .38 (i think)for a few years now.i'm sure its not worth any money value...i would like to find parts for it though......the sn is 508690 no letters are before it
help would be awesome

hey Jim i would appreciate a little help i have been holding on to an old .38 (i think)for a few years now.i'm sure its not worth any money value...i would like to find parts for it though......the sn is 508690 no letters are before it
5 shot or 6? Swing out cylinder? 38 S&W or 38 S&W Special (Spl)?

Jim

Then with a serial number of 508690 it would be a .38 Double Action 4th Change made from 1895 to 1909 and look like this:
pix706860296.jpg

For parts, try starting here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1980z38 DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER

Jim

thanks alot it looks like that but the barrel seems shorter...before i start taking the rust off its not a rare model or special right?

If you look at the parts link I posted under the picture you can get barrels in 3, 4, 5 and 6".
Value's not that high... especially if your're removing rust.

Jim

Model 60

The Model 60 I posted to ask about all the stamps I would guess is fairly late in Model 60 no-dash production - S/N R246xxx from the 6 digit number. I was assuming it was stainless - glad to have that confirmed.

I appreciate the responses from FlyFish and CarGuyChris. As I said, I am new and do not know the difference between +P and +P+. I will look the up. Stupid question, but does 38 Smith & Wesson Special CTG on the barrel stand for cartridge?

Pensrollei
I appreciate the responses from FlyFish and CarGuyChris. As I said, I am new and do not know the difference between +P and +P+. I will look the up. Stupid question, but does 38 Smith & Wesson Special CTG on the barrel stand for cartridge?

Yes.

+P and +P+ indicate 38 Special loads that are above the industry pressure standards for the standard 38 Special load. The +P+ is a very high velocity load and resembles a "light" .357 magnum load in terms of pressure and ballistics. You do not shoot +P+ 38 special loads in anything, but a .357 magnum revolver or one of the old Smith & Wesson Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman revolvers (1930-1966). The danger with +P+ 38 Special is that they will chamber in a standard 38 special revolver but they are designed to be fired in a .357 magnum revolver.

The 38 +P+ load used to be called the 38/44, 38 Super Police and the 38 High Velocity. The Heavy Duty revolver and the 38/44 load were introduced together. I own both and I have a few hundred +P+ 38 special rounds. However I won't shoot those in my Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman revolvers because they are collector items and cost me some money.

However I do shoot +P+ in my Ruger GP100 revolver all the time. No danger there.

If you want to know more about the Heavy Duty and the 38 High Velocity/ +P+/ Super Police/ 38/44 HV go to this website. It's run by a collector of Heavy Duty revolvers and the last page will provide some history.

http://www.38-44heavyduty.com/

Last edited:
Back