Small .22 handguns

Of course the SR22 is a nice gun, Ruger is a pro at making money off someone else's designs. [emoji2] Just kidding guys no need to get out the flame thrower.

I understand the slang for .22 cal. But I think the correct caliber in .22 in shelf products to the above mentioned semi-autos and revolvers is ".22LR" (long rifle) caliber. Most typical at the range and on the varmit hunt.

I understand the slang for .22 cal. But I think the correct caliber in .22 in shelf products to the above mentioned semi-autos and revolvers is ".22LR" (long rifle) caliber. Most typical at the range and on the varmit hunt.
Except that "caliber" is actually a reference to bore diameter, and cartridge refers to the actual round used.:D
But not all small 22 handguns are chambered for the 22 long rifle cartridge. Reference my previously mentioned NAA Mini Revolver chambered in 22 short. Or the Beretta 950 Minx tip up barrel semi-auto also chambered in 22 short.

I understand the appeal of a small gun. I like them myself. For small I have the Iver Johnson TP-22. I had one a long time ago and sold it. About a year ago I replaced it with one I found on gunbroker. I paid too much for it but thats OK. It came with the box, paperwork and a spare mag.

I also have a S&W model 34-1 with a flat latch. It was made around 1960 I think and is in very good shape. I would like a Bearcat but they are about the same size and weight as the model 34.

My smallest is a beretta 950 in 25acp. Its not a plinker because of ammo cost. But If I need a really small hideout gun it can't be beat.

The smallest pistol that I have carried has been a Colt Jr. in .25 acp. The smallest overall caliber pistol that I own and have shot has been a Colt Jr. in .22 short. These was actually made by Astra in Spain; Astra also put their name on identical models as the Astra Cub. The accuracy of both the .25 and .22 short are fairly good given the size of the pistols and the primitive sights. These are like tiny 1911s.

These are loooong out of production, but I still find a couple of Colt Jr. .25s at every gun show in a range between roughly $400 - $600 depending on the rapacity of the dealer (conditions have been variable and not necessarily in sync with price asked). If I see one of the .22 shorts for sale - either Colt Jr. or Astra - I buy them to add to my collection if the price isn't too inflated.

In used guns you will have more choices.
There is the above-mentioned Astra/Colt in .22 short, the Beretta 950 Minx in .22 short (my favorite,) Galesi in both short and LR, tiny Bernardellis in both short and long (not LR,) and many other pre-1968 guns that were imported.

I have a Ruger Bearcat that I bought new in 1964 for $49.50, but a new one today will cost a little more, LOL. It is a great little pistol and I have harvested a truck load of squirrels, a few rabbits, a dove and a few snakes with mine........robin :cool:

I'll tell ya in reference to the HP22a, I often leave it at home on range days simply because I find myself not putting it down because it is so much fun to shoot and I end up neglected the other guns I bring with me that day.

Of the small ones and under $400, I would choose the Ruger SR22P. Have one and it is very reliable. The problem with the tiny ones is they are often not reliable (feeding jams mostly). The SR22P is small enough to tuck into a pocket and it's very light and still reasonably practical for actually hitting something at more than 10 feet.

If you want to bump up the size a bit, the Ruger 22/45 or Mark III are excellent. I prefer the heavy barrel version for plinking. I suspect these push the $ cap.

Of the small ones and under $400, I would choose the Ruger SR22P. Have one and it is very reliable. The problem with the tiny ones is they are often not reliable (feeding jams mostly). The SR22P is small enough to tuck into a pocket and it's very light and still reasonably practical for actually hitting something at more than 10 feet.

I paid MSRP ($149) for my little HP-22A and bought the 5" barrel later ($30?). I also bought a 22/45 Target later. The HP22A has been as reliable or more reliable than the 22/45. With the 5" barrel, the HP-22A is about as accurate as the 22/45 for me. I bought the 22/45 after I had shot the 22/45 over 3,000 times but I now shoot the 22/45 more because it has last shot hold open and the HP doesn't.

The HP-22 with the 3" barrel is very close to the size of my Taurus TCP but it weights almost twice as much.

I'll tell ya in reference to the HP22a, I often leave it at home on range days simply because I find myself not putting it down because it is so much fun to shoot and I end up neglected the other guns I bring with me that day.
:D:D:D
LOL, I can relate completely. I have a similar problem with my pot metal Walther P22. It always makes me late coming home from the range. Just waiting for all the predicted (by the haters) failures it is going to have so I can no longer shoot it. Thinking I just have to wait for several more thousand rounds through it though.

Saw a I.J. TP22 on sale at Cabella's the other day for $199. It was so cute and fun looking I was sorely tempted.

Are those still in production? If so, are they decent guns?
Nope, not for over 20 years.
Iver Johnson was a U.S. firearms, bicycle, and motorcycle manufacturer from 1871 to 1993.
Mine is fun to shoot, but being used, and over twenty years old has a couple minor problems. Sometimes stovepipes a new round coming out of the magazine, and the safety lever thend to loosen, and move to the safe position while being fired. I think a little tinkering, and I'll have it runing fine.
As far as if they are any good, they are what they are. A low priced ZAMAK alloy framed rimfire pistol. For the hundred bucks I paid for mine, I think it is great. But the gun snobs will pile on like they do about Hi-Point, Rough Rider, Phoenix, and any other gun not using a material that meets their "standards":D

Back