Small .22 handguns

Thank you all for the great replies. I have read about the Smith model 61 quite a bit as well. It seems like a neat little gun.

The new production models of small .22LR pistol seem to be quite small in number. Any idea why? 22LR seems like it is the perfect cartridge for a tiny gun since it has such little amount of recoil.

If you don't intend to use this .22 for defensive purposes, then I don't understand why size should be an issue. If you want a very good, accurate, relatively inexpensive .22 pistol that you can actually use at the range and hit things with, then a Ruger Mk pistol is a good bet. It will fire just about any commercial ammunition you can run thru it, be reliable to a fault and with any maintenance, outlive you and your kids. A Ruger Single Six is another great way to get into a fine 22RF revolver. A good S&W 617 or 63 would be another best bet, but unless you run into a great used price, it's a bit outside of your budget.

You mentioned it being a training tool. Try looking into something that is close to the same platform as your bigger caliber pistols. Like if you have a Glock, get a conversion. Same with a 1911. A PPK, then a Bersa 22. And so forth and so on. So many big caliber handguns have a 22 option or there is a 22 on a very close platform. Just my .02 As far as 22 Pistols I've had personal experience with?
Taurus 94- Terrible trigger and slightly out of time, liked to spit lead, it was brand new
Sig Mosquito- EXCELLENT Pistol for me AS LONG as it ate a diet of CCI Mini Mags.
Walther P22- GREAT little pistol, after about 1000 rounds I noticed the face of the hammer was getting dinged up pretty good, but it kept on running.
Phoenix HP22A- The BEST 120 bucks you could spend on a 22 plinker. Accurate, dependable, and flat out the safest pistol EVER. [emoji2] Seriously it has some redundant Safeties but once you get used to them, no big deal to me really or there is videos on how to mod it to work like any other semi auto if you prefer.
Let us know what you get.

Bersa 22 is a great pistol . Only problem is finding one Bersa is running at max and still can't supply enough for the American market let alone the world market.

If you find one don't say I need to think about it . Buy it ,layaway but don't leave in case.

I bought a walther p22 which I like. Wicked fun at the range. A little ammo sensitive but has no trouble with bulk Remington golden bullet.

Let me be the 5th to recommend the Phoenix HP-22 as a great value.
They offer an optional 5" target barrel which you can easily switch with the 3" barrel whenever you wish.

I use my 22 handgun as a training tool for new beginners and to practice my weak hand shooting religiously. I can shoot hundreds of rounds and it will not put a dent in my wallet. The same thing with the 22 lr rifles. I practice off hand shooting to 200 yards so that when ever I go hunting I do not have to rely on shooting platforms to support my rifle.

The best thing you can do is if it is a training tool "DEERSLAYER" gave you the best advice, stick to something similar to what you conceal carry if you do carry.
Otherwise, I would recommend the tiny NAA mini pistols, in particular the "Sidewinder" models makes it easier to reload as the chamber is attached to the frame of the gun like regular revolvers.

I sometimes carry mine but I use 22 magnums instead. Aguila makes great ammo I would feel comfortable using in the 22lr platform in specific there are two kinds I like. First is the hyper velocity rounds they sell. These rounds are faster than the CCI stingers, and secondly, I prefer the SSS sniper 60 grain bullet. It's key holing effect from a short barrel can be devasting at very very close ranges especially for a rim fire cartridge.

ruger sr22 or lcr 22lr. excellent, reliable. with the right holster can be ccw. taurus pt22 slide impossible to rack. tip up barrel is fine except when reloading with second mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of my personal favorites together for a "shoot-off" a while ago.

The Ruger SR22 is a blast, reliable, with good features at a very reasonable price.
Some of the classics are great but harder to find and expensive like the Walther, Daewoo and Beretta.
The Bersa is nice and pretty reasonably priced. Not great quality though.
The FEG is hard to find. Well made gun.

The TPH is my favorite tiny .22.
I'd like to get the new Walther PPK .22 by Walther Arms. Looks like a winner.

Some of my personal favorites together for a "shoot-off" a while ago.

The Ruger SR22 is a blast, reliable, with good features at a very reasonable price.
Some of the classics are great but harder to find and expensive like the Walther, Daewoo and Beretta.
The Bersa is nice and pretty reasonably priced. Not great quality though.
The FEG is hard to find. Well made gun.

The TPH is my favorite tiny .22.
I'd like to get the new Walther PPK .22 by Walther Arms. Looks like a winner.
I may have to look into the ppk. My wife would probably like it too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

My wife used to have a Bersa Firestorm 22. I think it's the same gun they sell today as the Thunderer or something like that. It's about the same size as a Walther PP or something like that. Ten round magazine, controls in the conventional place, with a conventional DA/SA trigger.

She loved that little gun and I think she's sorry we got rid of it. With CCI mini mags it ran like a Swiss watch. Never missed a beat. It would jam from time to time with run of the mill bulk pack type 22 ammo, but not with CCI's. She was pretty good with it too.

She got it for her first carry gun, and used it for that for a couple of years until she got confident enough with her ability to shoot, and moved up to a Glock 19.

Very nice little gun if you can find one.

I'll take a Ruger I, II, or III any day, along with my Taurus 94 or NAA mag convertable. I like all of these. Cheapshooter's advice is top notch -- I sold my old Mause 32acp, and now wish I hadn't.
willr

Browning.25?

.25 cal.,I know.Point is I'm here tonite due to having my Baby Browning that
night!

25 cal.,I know.Point is I'm here tonite due to having my Baby Browning that
night!
But why when the OP does not intend to use the gun for SD/CCW?
25 acp is far from a 22 for an economical, fun range gun.
I know that .22 is not a good caliber for defense/ccw, and I do not intend to have this pistol for that. I do want a smaller sized gun though.

But why when the OP does not intend to use the gun for SD/CCW?
25 acp is far from a 22 for an economical, fun range gun.
I agree. The primary purpose is that it will be a cheap, fun gun to shoot. I might throw it in my pocket if I'm mowing the lawn or something, but I'd still carry my g26 IWB.

There are some good miniscule options in .25acp, but it is just too expensive to shoot compared to .22lr or even 9mm.

If anyone is wondering as to WHY a small gun, I just like them more. That is all.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I am very happy with my Walther P22. It can be a little ammo sensitive, but fortunatly one of the most reliable, and accurate rounds in it is Remington Golden Bullets, which have been relatively cheap. It's favorite of course is CCI Minimags.
Stepping down a little more, I have a Taurus 22PLY. The polymer frame version of their tip up barrel PT22. Lots of fun, handles almost any ammo well, and is surprisingly accurate.
I also have an Iver Johnson TP22. Kind of a scaled down Walther PPK, but made on the cheap. It really doesn't look bad, but does have it's feed problems at times. Not one I would suggest you look for.
I don't have anything against the ZAMAK guns like my P22, or the Iver Johnson for that matter. I think the Phoenix Arms HP 22 might be a good choice if you aren't interested in obtaining a family heirloom. It's on my "one of these days" list. Thinking of the Phoenix, for the reasonable price they sell for, you could add a Heritage Rough Rider toofor the same money as just one of the higher priced guns.while not "tiny", the Rough Rider 3 1/2" Birds head model is fairly small, and as my wife says, "cute".
While I'm on cheap, and small, although I don't have the rimfire version, my Cobra Derringer in 38 Spcl. is a lot of fun. Might have to add a 22 to it.
Now to the tiniest of the tiny. For some really strange reason I find my NAA Mini Revolver in 22 Short to be addicting to shoot!

Just Have Small Handgun

Just trying to show how one thing(having little gun) morphed into something entirely different.Please forgive any disruption I may have caused. Skeets

Back