Single shot rifles, inaccurate?

Yes,44AMP,my Krag has a one piece stock! :) .I agree,you are correct.And yes to the MAS 36

I only included the Krag because the wood under the magazine( :eek:clip!! :D ) is so thin,I considered the rigidity to be comparable to a two piece stock.

No heartburn.

Last edited:
OP,you made the post!! You are the ultimate authority on what you meant.

HiBC is exactly right. The OP doesn't deserve much in the way of an answer/opinion to his question if he/she doesn't clarify his meaning.

Last edited:
My brother and I both have several break open rifles in calibers from 223, 6mm, 30 and 35 caliber and I would put any one of them up against any bolt action hunting rifle. Accuracy is subjective but if your bolt gun shoots as well as our guns then you have a great gun and you shoot it well.

My brother and I both have several break open rifles in calibers from 223, 6mm, 30 and 35 caliber and I would put any one of them up against any bolt action hunting rifle.

Do you or your brother have any bolt action hunting rifles? If so, which of them are less accurate than your break open single shot rifles?

We both own bolt rifles too and judging by the groups you couldn't tell them apart. Well his 6x30-30 does shoot smaller groups than most of our bolt guns, That is the one he hunts with, taking head and neck shots normally. We wildcatted a 6mm TCU barrel by reaming it for 30-30 without the neck and then put the neck and leade in for 85 grain Sierra bullets. It shoots 5 shot groups right at .25" at 100 yards. Not too bad for a home shop job on a break open TCR.

I'm not arguing or disagreeing.I'm just curious and interested in learning something.
Without modification,a 30-30 reamer would typically have a bore dia pilot,perhaps removeable/replaceable,then a leade/throat section appropriate to 30 cal,(too big for my understanding of the job) and a 30 cal neck section.

Its all ground on the 30-30 reamer. I understand a second neck/throat reamer,if you still have the barrel steel.

Did your brother grind/modify the 30-30 reamer,or have PTG or someone do something as a regrind???
I ground a 40-70 Sharps to my satisfaction out of another reamer once.

Used an index,a sine plate,a slotting saw arbor,and a cup grinding wheel on a Bridgeport! Fun.

Back to single shots. A doggone Ballard is a pretty rifle.Elegant. Go ahead, ask me if I'd rather have a Ballard..than a 40X.(assuming the Rem will beat .5 MOA,and the Ballard will go 2 MOA with cast bullets)

Last edited:
HiBC,
We had the reamers made. We could have ordered the reamer with it all in one piece but we wanted to use a custom throat and leade and were not sure about the length - so we split it into two reamers. Both reamers had long pilots.

Back