Single shot rifles, inaccurate?

Non of my current bolts can keep up with my TC Contender. With a break open action and the forearm attached to the barrel, you probably wouldn't expect it to shoot as good as it does. The last group I shot with it was: 5 rounds into 0.28" @ 100 yd, factory ammo to boot (HPR .223, 60 gr VMax). And I think I can do better.

However, with an SSK barrel, it's not exactly stock.

In my lifetime, I've have had a greater number of bolts that were accurate when compared to the other actions I have had. But with a little money, you can probably make anything relatively accurate.

I've got #1 chamber for 30-338mag and it's on 2nd barrel chambered for that. I also have another 30-338mag on Rem action and my 270Wby was 30-338mag.

I sure didn't build that Ruger to less than bolt action and I'm not govern by SAAMI Spec in either but Sierra does have loading data for 30-338mag. My loading data for 22BR is right out of a reloading manual for bolt action rifle.

That 30-338mag was factory 7mag and I shot my first bull here in Co 1977 with that rifle. I haven't seen sticker on #1 that you have to load less than bolt action. Reason #1 won't be ideal 1000yd, doesn't have action that support long heavy barrel and short yardage action glue in a stock. that game is for bolt action rifles.

Good single shots can give good groups. This 45/70 group is at 200 meters firing lead bullets with black powder and iron sights. Not to say a scoped bolt action rifle can't do better but I've seen them do worse.

This 50 X 2 1/2" Sharps gave hunting accuracy at 100 yards with black powder and lead bullets.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that it would be less accurate seeing as there isn't any moving parts.
If anything it should be just as accurate as a bolt gun because unlike a semi auto the bolt doesn't move

I have a Handi-Rifle in .243 caliber. All Ive ever shot out of it is 100gr Cor-lokt ammo out of it. At 100yrds and a Burris 3x9 scope it consistently shoots 1-1.5" and every now and then a group just under an inch. All I use it for is hunting when I want to carry a light and small rifle. I think with some quality ammo it would shoot better. Friend of mine has the same rifle in 7mm-08 and it shoots about the same. No complaints with the single shot rifles Ive been around. They get the job done.

A couple of points that seem to be getting lost in the discussion is that #1) most single shots were not made to be target rifles, they were made to be hunting rifles, and hunting accuracy was good enough.

Also note that a great many bolt actions ALSO fit in that category.

#2) being able to shoot small groups on paper from the bench is not the be all, end all purpose of most guns.

I can't imagine that it would be less accurate seeing as there isn't any moving parts.
If anything it should be just as accurate as a bolt gun because unlike a semi auto the bolt doesn't move

It is all about reaction force.. Basically, the sum of a bolts lug reaction forces have no moment associated with them. In layman's terms, the breech face bends.

With a single shot like the t/c, it locks up, but the breech face is cantilevered over the chamber.

With an SSK barrel, read properly chambered precision blank, precisely fit by the best t/c shop in the world, you will get better results. If they build you a custom be rifle, it will be even better.

There's been a lot of talk about the theoretical bench accuracy advantages of one action over another. Some of it has even been realistic. ;)

However, in terms of practical field accuracy there's one area where bolt actions have a huge advantage; it's easy to use a shooting sling with them, not so with many single shots. Most single shots have the forend attached to or touching the barrel and the stress of a tight sling is transferred to the barrel. On a bolt action with a free floated barrel there's no problem.

On a bolt action with a free floated barrel there's no problem.

First, there are still a lot of bolt actions that don't have free floated barrels.

Second, its not that there is no problem, its that the problem is slightly different.

Mostly, its a matter of degree. A tight sling puts tension on the stock, and whether or not it's in direct contact with the barrel it still has an effect.

Accuracy is about repeatability. Bolt action or break action, or any action, a tight sling changes the harmonics. Accuracy can be had with a tight sling, or a loose one, as long as the same conditions hold for each shot. Change conditions (harmonics) and you will get different results, including change in POI and/or change in group size.

Short of laser guided projectiles, single shots have the ability to be the most accurate and precise.
The people shooting .2 MOA (that's 0.2MOA not 2 MOA) in .50 BMG 1,000 yard matches use single shot rifles.

So do many of the snipers in Afghanistan that shoot 1-2 Km.

Lots of technical reasons, including 360 degrees of consistent / equal bolt face pressures.

natman said:
On a bolt action with a free floated barrel there's no problem.
First, there are still a lot of bolt actions that don't have free floated barrels.

Yes, that's why I specifically said "with a free floating barrel". If accuracy is your goal your bolt action should be free floated. It's a lot easier to free float the barrel a bolt action than it is on, say, a Winchester 1885.

Second, its not that there is no problem, its that the problem is slightly different.

Mostly, its a matter of degree. A tight sling puts tension on the stock, and whether or not it's in direct contact with the barrel it still has an effect.

Accuracy is about repeatability. Bolt action or break action, or any action, a tight sling changes the harmonics. Accuracy can be had with a tight sling, or a loose one, as long as the same conditions hold for each shot. Change conditions (harmonics) and you will get different results, including change in POI and/or change in group size.

The tiny theoretical effect the sling will have on a free floated bolt action is far less than the actual effect a sling will have when it's pulling on the barrel as it would be on most single shots.

Bottom line: you can shoot more accurately with a free floated bolt action using a sling than you can with a single shot where a tight sling puts pressure on the barrel or a single shot with no sling.

Why do I get the feeling that somebody's missed the boat here, like apples and oranges? :eek:

When I think single shot rifles, I'm thinking Ruger #1's, Browning B78 and B85 or a Dakota #10. Wish like hell I could afford a #10) :(

I agree there are single shot bolt action rifles but I have to wonder if that was on the OP's mind or was he thinking Ruger#1 and that ilk? Somehow I think not.

I can't speak of the accuracy of a Dakota #10 as I've only seen one and was not privileged to even hold it. Guy complained that it wasn't accurate but I'm thinking it wasn't the rifle.

I haven't shot a Browning B85 but I do have a B78 in 30-06 and accuracy is quite good. I haven't to do anything to tune it at all and as Murphy says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ruger #1's I can comment on as I have quite a few. I was collecting them for a while till the prices got, I felt, a bit out of line. I have them running in various formats chambered to .22 Hornet all the way up to .416 Rigby. All mine are the "red pad" models and all probably have those sometimes good and sometimes lousy Wilson contract barrels. Ruger's black pad models have barrels made by Ruger and I hear they're very good.

I have noticed that most of the "B" models with smaller bores all seem to shoot quite well. Once the ones I have get larger bores (30 cal. and larger) accuracy was a sometimes thing. Only one smaller bore rifle has given me fits. A "B" model in 25-06 (I have two). One I bought cheap to use as a donor for a custom .35 Whelen shot so well I decided to leave it be. Found another at a gun show that was so pristine it could almost pass for NIB. Anyone ever see a .25 caliber shotgun. It's been set aside for further work.

I have three #1's in .300 Win. Mag., one a "B" model and two in the "S" configuration. All three shoot in the sub-MOA category.

One I have is a "V" model in .223 Rem. and it shoots in the .3's.

Several in the "A" model shoot decent ranging from .75" to 1.5", all more than suitable for hunting.

If you get the impression I like the Ruger #1, well you're quite right. I like them very much. They have their idiosyncrasies but that just make them and life interesting. Besides, I like the challenge of hunting with a single loader.
Paul B.

and as Murphy says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Don't think "Murphy" said that. If anything, Murphy would advocate wearing suspenders along with your belt and to fix it twice before it gets broke once. :)

If single shots were the most accurate I think you'd see benchrest shooters using them, but they all tend to use bolt actions for precision work.

BUT they are single shot bolt actions for the rigidity of the action.

I think I know where the confusion is coming from,,,

I did read all of the threads before I decided to post this,,,
But I believe that when the OP said "single-shot",,,
He was talking about break action guns.

Like the H&R rifles.

Am I wrong here?

I own several bolt-action single shots and they are all superbly precise shooters,,,
My H&R Handi-Rifle (.357 Mag) and my H&R Sportster (.22 LR) are not.

They are precise enough for hunting,,,
But are definitely not precision target rifles.

Is this the type of single-shot the OP was referring to?

Because if not, he's simply misinformed.

Aarond

Last edited:
The OP did not refer to break actions, he made no mention of action type.
I would think-theoretically-a bolt action single shot would be more accurate than a magazine model, the stock is solid under the action. IIRC in the days of Creedmoor and the Schuetzenfests they used single shot exclusively.

The O.P. was referring to break action, falling block, etc. The context of the post would lead anyone with normal reading comprehension skills to deduce that he was not making reference to custom bench rest bolt actions that were never cut to receive a magazine.:rolleyes: A bench rest bolt action is a repeating action, it is simply minus its magazine cut. A bolt action is classified as a repeating type action.

The OP did not expressly refer to break action or falling block single action rifles, but he distinguished single shot rifles from bolt action rifles - possibly because he doesn't/didn't know common bench rest bolt action rifles are single shot - at least in the sense that they typically do not have a blind magazine, a hinged-floor plate magazine or a detachable magazine. Although I've never owned a Ruger No. 1, I suspect the falling block action makes it more accurate than a break-open. I believe the barrel of a Ruger No. 1 can be free-floated, but I don't think the barrel of a break-open single shot can be free-floated. Who/what classifies a bolt action rifle as repeating action if it is impossible to have additional cartridges contained somewhere within the rifle that can be fed into the chamber solely be working the bolt action? Why are single-shot bolt action bench rest rifles that cannot feed additional cartridges to the chamber because there is no type of magazine and no opening for any feed from a magazine considered repeating rifles? Does "repeating type action" mean something other than repeating action? I'm not disputing your post but am curious about the classification.

Last edited:
PLEASE!!!!!!!
We waste so much space and energy to semantic quibbling.
OP,you made the post!! You are the ultimate authority on what you meant.

Will you please clarify once and for all what you meant by "single shot"

More specifically,did you intend to include single shot bolt action (beginning with examples like 40X and XP-100,on through custom bench rest actions like Nesika Bay,BAT,etc)

Of course,technically,these bolt guns ARE the cream of accuracy,there is no argument.DONE ALREADY!!
Is the discussion about learning something or an ego driven whizzing contest about nothing,because I'll tell you,I'm not seeing ANY winners.

Harry Pope made some pretty accurate single shots in the day.

I suspect if you took a inline striker ignition single shot,like a Sharps-Bochardt,

And mounted it in a non-traditional chassis type stock

The receiver crafted for rigidity and precision,using wire EDM and surface grinder, the "single shot" feature would not really be an issue,IMO.

But it certainly would lack the elegant aesthetics of the rifles from the late 1800's,early 1900's.
A lot of the variable is in the furniture.
To compare a conventional two piece stock single shot to a bolt gun,you need to look at a SMLE or maybe a Krag.

Last edited:
Back