single issue's

and made it seem that I said if mccain gets elected he would bring back the draft.
No I don't think it will happen for Iraq. For Iran, YES INDEED!!!

Most of the "next President will blah, blah, blah" discussion is, at best, rank speculation. In this case, please cite the law that would allow a President to unilaterally "bring back the draft."

i would vote for any president that declares war against alquida(?) and any other terrorist org. and countries that harbor and support them. i`ve not forgotten 9/11. i would also vote for pres. that would not be so prone to being "politically correct", start telling the U.N. and rest of world the next attack on U.S. soil (and IMO there will be one) will be compaired to Hiroshima and dealt with according. whatever candidate gets in i hope for our sake that they`ve got some guts cause if the hatred alot of middle east had before we went there wasn`t bad (which it was) its bad now. the terrorist attacked U.S. and our soldiers abroad, gradually getting worse with each attack until finally 9/11. don`t be foolish enough to think that if we pull out of Iraq and middle-east the terrorist will not re-group, rebuild and again attack this country, probably worse than before. i would hate to be pres. and have that on my shoulders

don`t be foolish enough to think that if we pull out of Iraq and middle-east the terrorist will not re-group, rebuild and again attack this country, probably worse than before.

If Obama gets in you can count on it.

after reading the first post i'm not even going to read the entire thread..... anyone that thinks the draft will come back is utterly stoopid and wetodded. the terrorism will be back inside our country if we do not do something about it. we started slow in iraq, but we are making tons of headway now (the surge actually works). Take it from someone whos actually out there doing it, civil affairs work.

Expect truth from a politician? How about charity from a banker?

But quite often a leader's rhetoric and his actual actions don't exactly line up.

Like Chamberlain saying "we will have peace in our time" or Hitler saying "This is the end of my territorial demands in Europe", or anything ever said by a candidate running for office.....

The simple fact is that our President, no matter who they are, doesn't work in a vacuum. The Bush administration may have mismanaged the occupation of Iraq in detail, but since it isn't done yet it seems kind of silly to me to declare it a failure. It may not have gone the way we were led to believe, but then, few things do.

I find it rather disingenuous hearing the same old "blame Bush" for everything from the war on terror to the housing market and the price of oil. For all those who constantly harp on how we should not have gone to Iraq, and blame Pres. Bush for it, remember that, while the Pres. can do some things all on his own, full scale invasion of another nation is not one of them. It was CONGRESS that gave him the authority, the same CONGRESS that contains ALL the current candidates for President. It was Congress that, barely a month after 9/11/01 that literally gave Bush a blank check to do any and everything to fight the war on terror. And yet they blame Bush for cashing it.

I have had trusted friends and family in Iraq, some of them collecting nuclear material, something completely ignored by the news media. I find it humorous, in a grim way, the faith placed in our (and especially the UN inspector's) ability to find things over there, if the folks don't want them found. People have been hiding things in the desert sand over there for thousands of years. A few UN visits, or even a few years of less than square foot by square foot searching proves little.

Saddam's air force flew to Iran (their enemy?) rather than be destroyed by us at the start of Desert Storm. Anyone think the idea that Saddam's nuclear program might have found another home before we got there to look to be unreasonable? I don't.

No President can bring back the draft, without Congress approving it. I don't see it happening, without something truly huge as a trigger to change public opinion. And if that happens, the draft will be superfluous, at least for a while.

I don't fear a draft "sending my children off to die", they are currently serving, for some years now, as volunteers, like everyone else in the military today. One of them was been in Baghdad for some time. They, and we know the risks of putting on the uniform, raising your hand and taking the oath.

I don't really see anthing truly good coming from our next administration, no matter who it is. All there seems to be is a choice between bad and worse.

Back