Sig vs Walther

Haven't looked into the Walther. Just fell in love with the feel of my Sig P320 Carry the moment I picked it up. I also thought the trigger was excellent for a carry pistol. I chose the "Carry" model for the extra capacity. Having the compact slide, and the full size grip. Thus a magazine, without an extension, holding 17 rounds.
In a Theis IWB Hybrid holster I don't have any problem concealing the longer grip, and the barrel, being a bit shorter than a full sized pistol, doesn't hit the top of my leg like a longer pistol would.

The novelty wears off. Once you find what grip size works, the tendency is to just leave it in.

The intent is you find the setup that works and leave it not to swap them around all the time.

No.

The military wanted the P320 to be modular so if you break the grip, you can easily replace the grip without frame work.

(Kel Tec is the original modular designer. Crazy I know. I bought the P3AT in the picture with a black grip. For 20 bucks, Kel Tec sent me a grey grip. I changed it.)
https://i.imgur.com/Nj6cBoc.jpg

When I made the post I thought majority of members would lean towards the Sig due to their current popularity. I am surprised to see that’s not the case.

In the last few years SIG has REALLY fumbled the ball on their reputation. I think a lot of the "hate" is unearned and stirred by the internet but the company as a whole has just been a PR nightmare it seems

Lohman446 said:
In the last few years SIG has REALLY fumbled the ball on their reputation. I think a lot of the "hate" is unearned and stirred by the internet but the company as a whole has just been a PR nightmare it seems

Sig has been diluting their reputation for a long time. I know because I've been shooting them for close to 25 years and have owned everything from their lowest offering to their highest. Those that haven't been shooting that long have no idea that Sig, along with Beretta and Glock, set the standard for reliability 25-30 years ago. Just take a look at most of the accessories they sell now days, made in China junk.

Not to say they can't still make a good pistol but instead of making 8-10 really good models they now offer 60 different variations of you name it. I believe their real down fall though was when they stopped test firing all pistols that shipped out.

Not to say they can't still make a good pistol but instead of making 8-10 really good models they now offer 60 different variations of you name it.

You know I think this is a really good observation. It used to be if you wanted a SIG you bought a SIG and this is about the only way you bought one though the occasional "I want the best" could leave the store with one. SIG new exactly who SIG was and people chased SIG for their reputation.

Now it seems SIG is chasing the market rather than doing what they do and doing it very well and letting the market come to them.

You know I think this is a really good observation. It used to be if you wanted a SIG you bought a SIG and this is about the only way you bought one though the occasional "I want the best" could leave the store with one. SIG new exactly who SIG was and people chased SIG for their reputation.

Now it seems SIG is chasing the market rather than doing what they do and doing it very well and letting the market come to them.
Without the P320 there's a question if SIG would have survived until today. While I agree there is chasing the market, there is also being completely ignorant of market trends. Striker fired pistols are and have been a thing for some time. The classic P series pistols weren't enough to keep SIG afloat, and they sure wouldn't have won them what is likely the largest handgun contract in history (the M17).

Sadly I didn't start shooting SIGs until after Cohen was on the scene. I have threads going back where I had a number of issues with the P series SIGs. I also have owned a number of the German models. The German models are, imo, both better finished and better fit. If someone wants to buy one I always encourage it. But those days are over. We can keep bemoaning Cohen, but it won't change the reality of today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've spent a good amount of time with both. I prefer Walther's...everything. Both are good pistols though.

Although I will say the PPQ Subcompact is a chunky and oddly proportioned little gun, and for its size it's a bummer it carries only 10+1 and not 13+1 as the comparably sized Beretta APX Compact or Springfield XD Subcompact do.

I shoot the PPQ in competition and carry a Walther PPS M2.

The German models are, imo, both better finished and better fit. If someone wants to buy one I always encourage it. But those days are over. We can keep bemoaning Cohen, but it won't change the reality of today.

Why are those days over? You can still buy high-quality German-made SIGs. The last two SIGs I purchased were German-made.

Sure, one was made in 1990 and the other was made in 1991. :D But the point is that these are not rare guns, and there are plenty to be found on the used market in good condition.

Why are those days over? You can still buy high-quality German-made SIGs. The last two SIGs I purchased were German-made.

Sure, one was made in 1990 and the other was made in 1991. :D But the point is that these are not rare guns, and there are plenty to be found on the used market in good condition.
I explicitly said someone can go buy one. My point is in terms of US production and new or future production it's over. The point about Cohen gets brought up frequently, and my point is he's been there for 15 years or so now IIRC. Like you say, the German pistols are still there if it's important to a person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I explicitly said someone can go buy one.

I wasn't arguing with you. I'm just making the point that instead of bemoaning the state of current affairs, folks should speak with their wallet. If you don't like the quality of current-production SIGs, don't spend your money on them.

The fact that folks are obviously buying new-production SIGs gives them no incentive to improve quality. Contrast that with Colt, who had a declining reputation for quality (compared to price) coming into this century, and lost huge market share as a result. They invested heavily in CNC machinery and turned their quality around to the point that many folks now consider Colt one of the better mass-produced 1911s for the money (of course their never-ending history of poor financial management has ensured that they have never fully capitalized on this increase in quality).

All that said, in terms of defensive pistols, we have more great new alternatives than never before, and if you want an old-school SIG, they are incredibly easy to find on the used market, and for good prices, too!

Last edited:
TunnelRat said:
I also have owned a number of the German models. The German models are, imo, both better finished and better fit. If someone wants to buy one I always encourage it.

The funny thing is the early Exeter NH "made" Sigs have some parts that are much better than the German made Sigs. Most of the parts came from Germany early on anyways and the pistols were just assembled in the US. When they started to sell quite a few more pistols in the late 80's they really started to learn what parts broke and adjusted accordingly.

The funny thing is the early Exeter NH "made" Sigs have some parts that are much better than the German made Sigs. Most of the parts came from Germany early on anyways and the pistols were just assembled in the US. When they started to sell quite a few more pistols in the late 80's they really started to learn what parts broke and adjusted accordingly.
I have one of those Exeter P226s and it is a beast with no MIM parts either and never ever a problem and eats any ammo.

vfdjO0l.jpg

I've had good experiences with both companies. In this particular case, I'd choose the Walther.

As a DA/SA guy, I've got a special place in my heart for the Walther P99. It's a striker-fired gun that can be used in DA/SA. The double action mode has a unique feel but it's good. In single action, it's even nicer than the PPQ.

The funny thing is the early Exeter NH "made" Sigs have some parts that are much better than the German made Sigs.

One thing is indisputable - the Nitron surface hardening/finish of the current US-made SIG slides is vastly better than the finish of the older German folded-steel slides, which will rust if you just look at them the wrong way.

Walther... I've seen problems with the 320 (ejector snapped upon loading a full magazine on slide lock for starters)... Also see Walther pps m2.

Back