Sig vs Walther

Micro man

Have not purchased a new hand gun in a while and am getting the bug. Two guns I have never owned are Sigs and Walthers. From reading I have done both appear to be well made and reliable.
I was wondering if any members had experience with these guns and knew the pros and cons of each. I was looking at the Sig 320 compact version and the Walther PPQ also compact in 9mm. This would be a carry gun for me.

Thanks for your help.

Micro man

I would take a Walther PPQ or (better yet) a Walther P99 AS over a Sig P320. Strictly MHO though.

Last edited:
Walther, every time.

For me, better ergos, better trigger, better quality (again, IMO). At least compared to the 320

Get the Walther and don't look back.

IMO the Walther is a trimmer, more refined offering than the SIG 320. If there's any durability difference, it's likely to be into a round count range that isn't significant for most shooters.

My preference is for the full-size PPQ M1 with the paddle magazine release, but any of the PPQ/P-99 series guns are generally solid, reliable options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bought a full sized P320 just out of curiosity a while ago and got a good deal being Certified Pre Owned. A novelty (to me) is being able to swap out grip frames easily. So I also experimented with medium vs. large grip frame in both the full sized and compact frame sizes.

The novelty wears off. Once you find what grip size works, the tendency is to just leave it in. I suppose I could treat the extra grip frames as spares in case the originals are damaged. I find the medium very comfortable and the large grip frame is odd in that instead of just increasing the overall circumference of the grip and keeping everything proportional, there is a ridge on the back that forces you to slide one's hand more towards the counter-clockwise direction. I bought compact magazines to go with the compact grip frame, haven't had the time or the holsters to try carry them out and about. I live it with a full size frame, in medium size. One thing I do appreciate about the grip shape is that it is oval in cross section. A lot of polymer pistols have side panels that are completely flat, so you are kind of gripping a rectangle. An oval lets the palm of my off hand make direct contact with the grip and apply more pressure to the grip rather than onto the fingertips of my strong hand.

My full size shoots well. It's a little bigger than it needs to be, as the P320 was made to have the same form factor as the Sig P250 which is hammer-fired. There really wasn't a need to have the slide be so tall on a striker-fired gun since you don't have a pivoting hammer to accommodate. But the tall height of the pistol is actually very comfortable for me to shoot with. The trigger is nice, still gives the feeling of being a crisp break although if you look at it, mine does travel a little bit right before it breaks but it hides it well. So not quite like a 1911. But still a good trigger. I'd imagine with all the noise (in a good way) about PPQ triggers the PPQ might have have a "nicer" one - I've never shot one. While I am curious about PPQ triggers, I'm also aware that a lot of people make a big deal about triggers when a little practice can trump a lot of trigger characteristics. Trigger reset strength on my pre-owned specimen is less aggressive than what I am used to, but it could be on my example. Grip frames are around $25-30. Again, novelty, I have spares if I ever damage my grip frame after using it to... do something that breaks it (like what? I don't know). And now I'm familiar with a current military sidearm. Except I don't have the official M17 with a thumb safety. Worth $500-some dollars? Not to me, but I got mine for about $380 after the FFL transfer fee. It's simple and reliable.

Last edited:
Before this week, I would have said to just flip a coin. But my agency just put out an informational for Officers who might carry a P320. Seems there was someone close to our agency who got shot in the leg or fanny when the firearm discharged while inside the holster. I've heard about two or three too many instances of that happening across the country.

Before this week, I would have said to just flip a coin. But my agency just put out an informational for Officers who might carry a P320. Seems there was someone close to our agency who got shot in the leg or fanny when the firearm discharged while inside the holster. I've heard about two or three too many instances of that happening across the country.
And when investigated further it has always been the case, AFAIK, that those claims were bogus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10-96 said:

If pistols just went off by themselves I would have a whole bunch of holes in the side of my safe. I certainly wouldn't judge a pistol by what some rookie officer did with it either, most struggle with tying their shoes in the morning.

I own the Sig P320 XFive and the Walther PPQ Q5. I bought the standard Walther PPQ for my sister. As other have states, the Walther has better ergonomics and a better trigger. I doubt that anyone will really swap the firing group out of the Sig.

I've never tried a Sig 320.
But the Walther P99 AS came home a few weeks ago.

Would you like Three different types of pulls for the first shot? A good YouTube video will quickly depict these and explain:

1) The 'AS' method.
2) Single action.
3) Double action.

What other striker-fired handgun offers these three choices, along with excellent ergos? Many people might not Want a 100% German handgun from a proven company, with the proof and date codes from Ulm Germany.
"Na ja, jedem das seine" (oh well, to each his own).

I would take a Walther PPQ or (better yet) a Walther P99 AS over a Sig P320. Strictly MHO though.

Ditto.

I own a few West German-made SIGs, and they are superb pistols, but I have never warmed up to any of the current New Hampshire products. In the realm of polymer striker-fired pistols, the P320 is fine, but I feel there are many options that are frankly better. YMMV.

Just to throw an odd ball out there, the Beretta APX Centurion or Compact is dirt cheap right now and an absolute steal these days.

Bit fatter in the slide than the Walther, so that's a consideration for CCW. Little worse trigger than the PPQ but gets close with the competition striker spring. Reliable and very well made, has that modular thing of the 320 (and feels way sturdier than the Sig) if you like the whole frame swapping thing.

When I made the post I thought majority of members would lean towards the Sig due to their current popularity. I am surprised to see that’s not the case.

I was just checking prices and a place called CDNN sports are listing the Walther for slightly less than gunbuyer.com site. I have never used CDNN so I don’t know how their service is.
I saw in a flyer today that next Wednesday Cabela is offering the Beretta APX for $200 off regular price. Didn’t see anything about the Walther being on sale though.

BERETTA dropped the price on the APX. It isn't specific stores. It's on Beretta's website, first page. $300 all models. 320 for the FDE cerakote finish. Even the most expensive size (15 round compact Centurion) is at same price as the compact.

The APX is probably the least sold mass produced gun available today (exclude the likes of the less known CZ P-10 and the like). Beretta is probably dropping the price to get any one to buy it. The APX and PX4 did nothing long term to the first place holders; PPQ, VP9, G19, and M&P. Face value, Beretta handguns have a guaranteed bleak future with it's current line.

Walther gave a $100 rebate 2 years ago for a new PPQ 9mm at $370, don't expect it again. The "Love it or Return it" Walther program is probably here to stay, without future rebates.

Why? The PPQ doesn't need advertising now. It's the gold standard for triggers.

Same with the VP9. It was $550, went to $450, and is now at $500. It probably won't move again and won't get the 4 mag rebate again. The P30 seems to have mostly disappeared in past availability. The VP9 is now established with HK and the price will stay firm too.

Full size, $450 for a PPQ and $500 for a VP9 is probably here to stay.

Last edited:
Micro man/Fishbed77:
I just sold both of my Sig P228s, because of the thinner grips of my Sig P225 (‘87) and P6 (has a standard hammer spring) for my thin Girly hands.

Along with my superb Walther P99 AS, which has 3 types of “First Pull” DA or SA trigger, the 100 percent German P225 has equal design & production quality.

Why isn’t there a PPQ here? Quite frankly, Only because limited formal training prompted me to stay with DA/SA guns. I regret —not— attending Federal Flight Deck Officer Tng. course years ago.

Last edited:
Back