Sig Sauer P210

Not saying the P210A can't shoot just as well and its certainly a good choice for someone on a budget, but lets not get carried away. Its a cheaper design, built with cheaper parts, with less hand fitting, and less attention to detail.

You've stated your opinion many times bac1023. I like the old Swiss P210s too.

Certainly not at what they're going for used. A Swiss P210 is not worth $2500+ more to me, for a used gun with far worse ergonomics, that would be a challenge to get parts for.

In terms of design, I'd say the newer P210s are a BETTER design. Look at the sights, safety position, and mag release position.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Be happy with your choice. I am with mine.

American Conventional Pistol matches (Bullseye matches) shoot the precision stage at 50 yards.

You'll almost never see a P210 at a US Bullseye competition. They're predominantly 1911(s), and at the local matches, they've got a scope/dot mounted on the slide. A P210 would be at a big disadvantage for that reason. You really don't have the option to mount such sights on a P210, to my knowledge.

I have one. It is fantastic for the money. Great trigger and sights. The gun is super tight with beautiful fit and finish. Mine loves 115 grain FMJ rounds and will shoot groups far tighter than I can. For the money, you can’t beat this gun.

That has been my experience as well. +1

P210

I like the new 210. If it performed better than what I carry I may even buy one.
I checked out one at a shop as much as I could as far as fit and finish and compared it to a friends amazingly perfect swiss made original 210 someone brought over many years ago. People here want to attribute mythical standards to the original 210 but the fit on the new one I held was very close. If you choose to spend a great deal of money for a version of a firearm because it’s the original that’s great but you are not buying twice to three times the quality. I see this a lot, people believe hand fitted guns are inherently superior to one that was cut by a computerized mill. It’s a sweet sentiment but the tolerances a mill is capable of will embarrass a human. I’ve seen parts cut so perfect when assembled you couldn’t see a seam. The controls are superior hands down. The safely on the originals needs to be half as hard to manipulate or twice as large which is why someone designed a larger shoe for it and the idea of having the mag release on the bottom of the grip is great for a range or plinking gun but is embarrassing for a defensive weapon. I wonder if there is a statistic on how many have been killed in a gunfight while trying to change mags in a 210. As far as aesthetics the new one looks good. It’s just a modern take on the original. The high hump in back does blow the lines though. For the price the new version is a bargain and you can shoot the heck out of it, mod it and make it your own without feeling bad about changing a rare original.

The high hump in back does blow the lines though.

The hump is consistent with the older ones. One thing to note: Compare how much better the rear adjustable sight on the new ones looks compared to the adjustable ones on the older swiss models. I see the hump as a 'given' on the P210. At least on the new ones, the adjustable rear sight doesn't look like an afterthought bolted on the top.

If it performed better than what I carry I may even buy one.
I like the P210 as a range gun...even if it isn't suitable for Bullseye competition at Camp Perry. It is just a fun gun.

I wouldn't even consider it for a carry gun, given the size, weight, and capacity...but that is me. I knew a guy that carried an 1873 Cattleman in .44-40, to each, his own.

Last edited:
Love this discussion. Especially when we attempt to compare folks' tastes and equate them to good and better. If I were a collector, I would have kept my Swiss SIG p210 6. It was a beautiful piece of precision machinery. However, I felt there were folks who would appreciate it more than I could/would.

I'm simply a shooter. The American made p210 Target is a nice shooting pistol. I'll never wear it out because I shoot several other pistols which I enjoy too, including several 1911s and one 2011 (some of them are STIs), CZs, HKs, Witness Elite Limited, etc. The more expensive pistols don't seem to shoot better, for me anyways.

My attitude differs with photography equipment. Even as an amateur my results are better with the more precise/expensive cameras and lens.

rt11002003 said:
Love this discussion. Especially when we attempt to compare folks' tastes and equate them to good and better. If I were a collector, I would have kept my Swiss SIG p210 6. It was a beautiful piece of precision machinery.

I see where you are coming from with your thoughts but on the other hand it's a simple fact that Sig USA has been a huge embarrassment to what was once a great company, in many ways. I have no idea what being a collector would have to do with which generation would equate to being at a higher level of quality though.

For some of the newer guys on this forum, BAC knows his guns and probably has one of the nicest collection of high end guns on this forum. Don't read into MORE than what he is saying, but be willing to learn from a guy and respect his opinion because he speaks from actual experience.

With that said, I own 2 Swiss P210s. One is the 50th Anniversary Edition and the other is a P210-6 that I bought pre-owned because I couldn't bring myself to shoot the 50th Anniversary edition. I then added a Germany made P210 Legend in Silver and recently added the P210A. I prefer the ergonomics and sights of the P210A. The grips feel great in the hand and there is no hammer bite. There are add on beaver tails for the Swiss P210s, but I would as soon do that as add a huge whale tail and stick on vents to a Ferrari.

I think one way to view BAC's appreciation of the Swiss P210s is comparing a Patek Philippe with a nice quartz watch. Quartz watches may be as accurate (probably even more accurate) than any automatic/mechanical watch. They lack the craftsmanship and will never hold value or appreciate like higher end Patek Philippe watches. A nice 1911 can be compared to a Rolex or Omega, but it still isn't in the same league as Patek. You may not personally care for Pateks or P210s, but they are highly respected and valued for a reason.

I hear everyone's opinion and understand. I'm just not a halfway kind of guy. If I'm going to buy a P210, I'd only want the best models.

For me, I'd choose almost any other $1500 target gun over a P210A, because I'd never compromise on what was one of the finest, most durable, and most accurate pistols ever built. To me, the P210A just takes $1500 out of your funds to buy a nice P210-6. I also don't get the collector factor that was brought up a few times, because the Swiss P210 was designed for very hard use and many, many thousands of rounds of hot NATO ammo.

Having said that, to each their own. I hope everyone buys what they like and has no regrets. All P210 variants are a pleasure to shoot. I wish everyone great luck with the model of their choosing.

For some of the newer guys on this forum, BAC knows his guns and probably has one of the nicest collection of high end guns on this forum. Don't read into MORE than what he is saying, but be willing to learn from a guy and respect his opinion because he speaks from actual experience.

With that said, I own 2 Swiss P210s. One is the 50th Anniversary Edition and the other is a P210-6 that I bought pre-owned because I couldn't bring myself to shoot the 50th Anniversary edition. I then added a Germany made P210 Legend in Silver and recently added the P210A. I prefer the ergonomics and sights of the P210A. The grips feel great in the hand and there is no hammer bite. There are add on beaver tails for the Swiss P210s, but I would as soon do that as add a huge whale tail and stick on vents to a Ferrari.

I think one way to view BAC's appreciation of the Swiss P210s is comparing a Patek Philippe with a nice quartz watch. Quartz watches may be as accurate (probably even more accurate) than any automatic/mechanical watch. They lack the craftsmanship and will never hold value or appreciate like higher end Patek Philippe watches. A nice 1911 can be compared to a Rolex or Omega, but it still isn't in the same league as Patek. You may not personally care for Pateks or P210s, but they are highly respected and valued for a reason.

Thanks Stephen. I also like the sights of the Swiss target models, the Legend Target models, and the P210A. The smaller sights on most of the Swiss models are not as easy to see, but I have gotten used to them.

As for the beavertail, I don't care for the look on a P210, but I'm also fortunate that the Swiss guns don't bite my hand. The thumb safety is also much more convenient on a P210A. However, I only shoot the guns at the range and the safety is a non-factor.

I get the appeal of the P210A. I'm just way too much of a purist when it comes to guns with this kind of quality and pedigree.

I got to thinking about this thread and realized something . Although I don't think I owe any apologize to anyone I do believe I was talking out my behind a bit . I started thinking about this in terms of cars and I quickly realized although a Chrysler 300 is a nice car and gets you around quite well , It's no Bentley . The more I think about it , my comments were more to do with that I can't afford a Bentley so I needed to talk up my Chrysler lol. :o

Well that and that great group at a distance of 25 inches :D

"Rinspeed", I have little use for SIG USA, even though they make an occasional nice pistol. Every dealing with them has been miserable. I've loved my DE X-5, X-6, p232 and my Swiss p210 6 which included the .22lr kit. My SIG USA 1911 .45ACP and 1911 .45ACP and my p210 Target are nice guns; fortunately I didn't have to deal with SIG USA to get them. An aside, my X-5 came with two 10 round magazines that wouldn't work in the pistol. Bought aftermarket mags. Another aside, went around and around with them for over a year trying to get them to honor my order for a p210 Legend (Super?)Target which I believe was a DE model.

Sorry "bac1023", I meant I think most of the folks looking for the Swiss p210 6 are collectors. I know some folks like to own quality pistols and some like to shoot them. I shouldn't have ignored them by limiting my comments to collectors.

I've seen Metal God shoot. I think he meant 25 yards not inches. I seen him shoot groups so tight you would swear only one round was fired. He once lit a wooden match at 15 feet for a birthday cake.

I've seen Metal God shoot. I think he meant 25 yards not inches. I seen him shoot groups so tight you would swear only one round was fired. He once lit a wooden match at 15 feet for a birthday cake.

LMAO , I mean I've got tears in my eyes . That was funny .

He once lit a wooden match at 15 feet for a birthday cake

Scared the crap out of the kids :eek:;)

Last edited:
Metal God quotes: If Jesus had a gun , he'd probably still be alive !
When Jesus was on the cross and his disciplines asked what they could do, Jesus was quoted as saying "a good ladder and a nail puller wouldn't hurt".

Got the January American Rifleman yesterday and there is an article on the new P210 by Wiley Clapp. Quite impressive five shot groups out of a RR at 25 yards. Average out of 25 groups shot was .91" and smallest group was .49" with Sigs own 147 gr ammo, sounds a little fishy. :)

No offense to BAC, but my P210A has been coming out to play while his Swiss "brother" stays home in the safe. I understand his disdain for the bastardized American "clone" of the Swiss legend, but it is a fantastic pistol. Everyone who has shot it is impressed by it despite the removal of the locking block and the MIM parts.

- Nitron coated Stainless Steel slide and frame
- Adjustable Target Sights
- No Hammer Bite (which did affect me despite being aware of it)
- American Mag Release as opposed to the heel release
- Excellent Target Grips that feel great in my hands
- Moved Safety Lever that does not scratch the frame and is easy to operate
- Extended Slide Release that is easy to operate and is aesthetically pleasing
- MUCH CHEAPER!!! Used versions in so-so condition listed at close to $3000 while the P210A is about half that.

I know you mention MIM parts, but they can be very durable when done properly. Also, since it is a new release, I imagine it would be fairly easy to get parts for it. I may eventually part ways with my P210-6 if prices get crazy enough. Not sure if I should sell the NIB 50th Anniversary Edition or the one I bought pre-owned. As a shooter, the P210A is awesome. I know that it lacks some of the Swiss heritage, but it does what it is supposed to and does it very well.

Last edited:
It’s much cheaper because it uses cheaper parts and utilizes a cheaper design with less hand fitting.

Sure they shoot great, but so does a CZ Tactical Sport. I’ll take one of those over a half assed American “P210”. I tried to like the gun, but it’s nothing of the kind. Quality is on par with the rest of the metal American Sigs, such as the Elite Series. The German Legend was on par with the X-Five. BIG difference without even mentioning the Swiss guns.

If you like it, that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
I may have to end up getting one of the CZ Tactical Sports one of these days. Is it worth buying one that has been worked on by Cajun Gun Works or buy a stock one?

stephen426: said:
I may have to end up getting one of the CZ Tactical Sports one of these days. Is it worth buying one that has been worked on by Cajun Gun Works or buy a stock one?

Buy a stock TS, you can always get it worked on by CGW after you’ve had it a while and can figure out what it might need, IMHO, not much!

Back