Sig Sauer P210

Why ? Is it collectability ? A $4000+ hand made and fitted 1911 with the fancy trigger and barrel is likely to shoot just as well . What make the Swiss P210 better then "any" custom 1911 ?

That's a real question and not being snarky . The 1911 with all the after market parts and ease in which to work on must go into the equation . I have no doubt the standard Swiss P210 is better then any standard 1911 but the standard 1911 can be had for $700 . Spend the same amount of money on each and I'd have to think you'd get a pretty nice 1911 .

Or better yet lets do that backwards . Build a Swiss P210 for the price it cost to build the standard 1911 and which would you want ? The corners you'd likely need to cut to build the Swiss P210 for that would surely bring down the quality .

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

I said I'd take a Swiss P210 over any $4000 1911. I'm not sure if you're familiar with 1911 pricing, but you don't get a top notch full blown custom for $4G's. You get a run of the mill semi custom from companies that build tens of thousands of gun's per year. I've had many of them and still own several of my best.

Why would I want to build a Swiss P210 for the price of a "standard" 1911, as you put it? The reason the P210 is valued so much is due to the way they are built. Its not collectability on most the Swiss guns, because most are not overly rare. You couldn't build a P210 the way the Swiss did for that kind of money. The 1911 is a totally different design. Its doesn't require nearly the same tolerances and, likewise, the parts quality to operate.

Also, $600-$700 is an entry level 1911, nothing all that standard about it. Most are cheaply made and fitted.

When I say standard I mean mil-spec , it does not get any more standard then that . My Springfield seems to be made pretty well for $700 .

Shoots pretty good at 25" as well , Second mag ever fed through it below , I'm even better with it now
VvEYNQ.jpg

I don't think I'm going to do much better with the Swiss P210 , maybe I could I'd have to try .

I'm not sure if you're familiar with 1911 pricing, but you don't get a top notch full blown custom for $4G's.

Is the $10k 1911 the only ones that can shoot as good ?

I get it , this is subjective . You and I have different ideas as to what makes a good and or great firearm . If it cycles every time and hits what I'm aiming at IMHO that's a very good firearm . Looks , fit and finish are always a plus but I can't tell you how many times I've out shot guys with my poorly finished and fitted guns .

My opinion could also be me not being able to afford such firearms and willing to settle for something for half the price that I can shoot just as well . Like I said subjective .;)

I get it , this is subjective . You and I have different ideas as to what makes a good and or great firearm . If it cycles every time and hits what I'm aiming at IMHO that's a very good firearm . Looks , fit and finish are always a plus but I can't tell you how many times I've out shot guys with my poorly finished and fitted guns .

My opinion could also be me not being able to afford such firearms and willing to settle for something for half the price that I can shoot just as well . Like I said subjective .

Once again, I'm not sure where you're coming from. All I said was that I'd take a good Swiss P210 (I was actually referring to a -6) over any $4000 1911. I said nothing of how they shoot. You were the person who brought up the custom 1911 and asked why I would take the P210 over one.

I was simply explaining that $4000 doesn't get me the kind of 1911 I'd take over a Swiss P210-6. That's it.

Yes, I have also outshot many folks using lesser expensive handguns. I own quite a few and used to own many lower end 1911's. Nothing wrong with them as shooters. However, just functioning correctly and being moderately accurate doesn't exactly constitute a fine gun to me. That's pretty much the norm these days, even with the polymer stuff.

I would also agree that the Springfield Mil-spec is a solid gun, though it does have some enhancements over a standard Government model.

I got my hands on a few P210's here in Afghanistan; the Danish military still carries them:eek::D It's one I keep an eye on, but man, they're expensive!

ROCK6

sigarms228-that be the exact one i got years ago. Purchased the 210a so the value wasn't hurt by rounding the rear hammer "chisel point", which could draw blood after a range session.

Metal god-Sincerely appreciate the sense of humor, needed some !

Pretty sure next year I will get serious about finding a Swiss P210, been putting it off forever. Last time I had that kind of money set aside for a pistol I ended up getting an X-5 instead. With the current state of Sig Germany I'm certain I made the right decision.

Your never going to convince me that any gun shooting the puny bellum is worth 4k, Maybe if it was available in 38 Super or 10mm and I won the lottery I might change my mind.:rolleyes:

Your never going to convince me that any gun shooting the puny bellum is worth 4k, Maybe if it was available in 38 Super or 10mm and I won the lottery I might change my mind.
Pretty funny. I doubt anyone is concerned with convincing you.

However, you do realize the “puny” 9x19 pistols from years past bring more money on average than any other handgun caliber, right?

Pretty sure next year I will get serious about finding a Swiss P210, been putting it off forever. Last time I had that kind of money set aside for a pistol I ended up getting an X-5 instead. With the current state of Sig Germany I'm certain I made the right decision.

Jeff, I told you a decade ago that I thought you made the right decision. I still feel that way.

When I say standard I mean mil-spec , it does not get any more standard then that . My Springfield seems to be made pretty well for $700 .

Shoots pretty good at 25" as well , Second mag ever fed through it below , I'm even better with it now
I don't think I'm going to do much better with the Swiss P210 , maybe I could I'd have to try .

Nice shooting.

The P49, the Swiss military service version of the P210, was required to shoot a 10-shot group of 5mm (1.97") or less at 50 meters because the pistols were supposed to be able to be used in 50 meter shooting competitions. Test targets were included with the pistols.

The P49, the Swiss military service version of the P210, was required to shoot a 10-shot group of 5mm (1.96") or less at 50 meters because the pistols were supposed to be able to be used in 50 meter shooting competitions.

Yep, pretty amazing stuff, especially 10 shots.

Yep, pretty amazing stuff, especially 10 shots.

Yes , that is impressive . I can barely shoot a 5" group and not every time at 25yds . Or keeping with my distance issues maybe I should have wrote 5' groups at 25yds :D

I got to shoot a P210 Legend last night. It is certainly a very sweet shooter. Great trigger.
The 210 is the only pistol that I would consider buying at this point in my life.
Pete.
Note: i have heard that info about the requirements for the P210 at 50 meters. No doubt that the gun will shoot X-ring groups at that distance.
I wonder, though....European pistol match shooting (aka International Bullseye) is shot at 25 meters....there are no 50 meter matches for centerfire guns that I know of. The only 50 meter match shooting that I do know about is Precision Pistol (aka Free Pistol) and that is shot with a .22.
American Conventional Pistol matches (Bullseye matches) shoot the precision stage at 50 yards.

Last edited:
I picked up an American P210 this Spring. I'm very happy with it. It shoots great, and is glass smooth. The sights are clearly better than the originals.

Personally, I greatly prefer the safety and mag release improvements of the American and German ones to the Swiss originals.

The Swiss guns are well built, but for the money there is a huge diminishing return in terms of functionality and ergonomics for the cost of one of the old originals. Another plus is the availability of new parts.

If you're a collector, go with the old Swiss ones. If you want to shoot it a lot, the American ones are great.

Hickock45 has a great review on youtube.

I enjoy his videos and find them entertaining. He's also a great guy and a good shot. However, Hickok has little knowledge of high end guns.

Honestly, considering the Swiss models continue to increase in value year after year, I don't understand your diminishing returns comment. Also, the older Swiss guns are some of the most durable pistols in history and have no MIM parts, so if you want to shoot a LOT, buy the real deal. You're not going to hurt it. They love HOT ammo too.

Not saying the P210A can't shoot just as well and its certainly a good choice for someone on a budget, but lets not get carried away. Its a cheaper design, built with cheaper parts, with less hand fitting, and less attention to detail.

Back