Should I be burned at the stake?

Am I the only one curious how well the red dot scope held up to the recoil of a 45-70 in a (fairly) light lever gun?
Right now during load development I'm using the scope--but I did take about 40 shots with the reddot and it held up fine during those shots--my intent is once I find a few good loads to go back to the reddot, maybe try a few with just the irons as well. Getting old is just one of those facts of life, gotta do what I can to see what I'm aiming at. This is Henry's 22" octagonal barrel big boy--so it's heavier than the marlins or shorter barrel rifles. Still, you're going to feel it when firing the high power loads, for which I use a pachmyer pad for.

Decided to try a few loads again today--but it was colder than yesterday--temperature was hovering right above zero when I got up this morning and struggled to get to the low teens. Even with gloves on my fingers got numb quick--those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them. Here's an "honest" 5 shot group of 47.7 VHT 120. I think I will get these under MOA easily once conditions warm up.

attachment.php

Notice the bullet hole is the size of the bull's eye--which makes it a bit sketchy figuring out the target when you hit close.:)

Attachments

• 45 70 305XtremPen 47.7 Vit120.jpg
    45 70 305XtremPen 47.7 Vit120.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,150
Last edited:
If it works for you, I'm all for it!

I personally went a slightly different way for my Marlin 795 when I had a red dot on it. I wanted a longer body on the optic for aesthetics (I think it looks less awkward than the micro dots), so I ended up buying this:

http://hammersbinoculars.stores.yahoo.net/reddotsi1x.html

For being dirt cheap it worked impressively well, but that was on a rimfire rifle so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, it looked more like a compact scope than a red dot and IMO looked better as a result. I ended up wanting a low power magnified optic, so gave the red dot to my father in law who now has it on his 10/22 and absolutely loves it.

A higher quality option of the same idea would be the Bushnell Trophy 1x28

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-Green-Interchangeable-Reticle/dp/B000GEWB4S

All of that to say, I'm vain so wanted a pretty setup as much as a functional one. Like I said, if you like it no reason not to run with it. Just wanted to present another option.

Back