Should I be burned at the stake?

Stag for posting that link now you should be burned at the stake. I'll bring the gas and the weenies.:D

Last edited:
I use a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone on my .45-70 Guide Gun. It shoots one ragged role at 50yds offhand & the sight is still going strong.

I use a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone on my .45-70 Guide Gun. It shoots one ragged role at 50yds offhand & the sight is still going strong.
Maybe the mob will grab you first! Soon as I find the ideal loads, I'll switch back to the reddot--I actually kinda like the way it looks.

They'll lose their minds when I put the PA Microdot on my .41Mag Henry. :D My eyes need all the help they can get & if it looks goofy, but works, maybe it ain't so goofy.

In all seriousness, red-dots are perfect for the close-in shooting many leverguns are used for.

You paid for it, so it's not Heresy. But if we were going to vote, I'd vote "no" on this one:

attachment.php

And would vote "present" on this one:

attachment.php

What ever you need to do to hit the mark is ok with me. I have a Burris scope on my 45-70. It has the detectable warne rings so I can go both ways if I want

:eek:This thread prompted me to get off my rear end and order an XS scope rail for my Mossburg lever.

Suppressed, adj stock and a red-dot. Not my daddy’s levergun :D

I tried testing some of my better loads today--kinda of unusual, the first two shots went through almost the same hole right in the the bulls. I couldn't see the bullet impacts--at first I thought something had gone wrong with the scope and walked out to the target see where the bullets were landing. Wish I hadn't done that, cause naturally I choked the next two shots which went wide. After looking at the Labradar downloads of the shots I noticed the first two shots were very close in their over-all velocity numbers--but the next two were off by a wide deviation, around 80 fps at the muzzle. I can't help but think that makes a difference--even at only 100 yds. Can't say if below freezing conditions were a factor--or maybe it was just me. I try to be careful and uniform my cartridges when reloading them, but I wonder how sensitive they are to things like neck-tension, crimping etc. My 44 mag loads out of my Rossi don't seem to care much about minor variations between one load to the next.

I thinkI've found a good enough load for the 300 gr HP's--though I'm still bit stumped by the seemingly large SD's. Gonna try something else; next up, 305 gr extreme penetrators. The 300's do very well out of my 458 socom--I hope these are at least as good.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 55
Conditions weren't the best--cloudy and windy from my 5 o'clock at 15 to 30 mph 40 degrees--wind chill was nonetheless cold enough that I had to wear gloves. Decided to try out some new IMR4166 I recently bought--highly touted as clean burning and temperature insensitive.

I wasn't very impressed by my first go with the powder--there was less than 100 fps difference between my bottom and top loads (48 to 50 grs). Furthermore, there was unburnt powder coming out of the fired cases upon ejected them 50 grs barely got me 1700 fps, but I still was moderately happy with the result--I was running a sub-MOA group until, of course, I pulled the flyer at far left.:( Gonna try some other powder next--but these are expensive bullets to test.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 45-70 305 xtremePen 50 IMR4166.jpg
    45-70 305 xtremePen 50 IMR4166.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 72
Decided to search existing load data to find a bullet that comes close to the dimensions of the 305 extreme penetrator--that led me to Barnes' Original TSX FN 300 gr--and Vihtavuori (does anyone actually know how that's pronounced?) 120. Bingo! the stuff works great.:)

Temp was in the teens but the winds were much more sedate today--only 10 to 15 but 90 cross from the right. However the numbers turned in were consistently good, powder burn was complete and I was getting much higher velocities and tighter groups than I had with yesterday's loads. I look forward to developing some more loads with the stuff--but here's one of the better ones which averaged just over 2000 fps. It's beginning to dawn on me that getting much under MOA with a 458 bullet means shooting a 1-holer.

attachment.php

Once you get past the thump--this Henry 45-70 is a heck of a shooter.:)

Attachments

• 45 70 305XtremPen 47.5 Vit120.jpg
    45 70 305XtremPen 47.5 Vit120.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 63
You have really got to try some Reloader 7. Its a known good powder for the 45/70. Straight wall cases like medium fast powders. If you are having unburned powder granuales your powder is too slow burning. It should be a complete burn.

Its pronounced vit-ve-orr-ee. OK now you say it... There ya go. Wasn't that eezee.:D

That last group looks great.

Thanks rat shooter. I have plenty or RL7 so I'll give it a shot, so to speak. The unburned powder was the IMR4166--the Viht 120 performed very well and did not appear to be temperature sensitive as I tested in temperatures in the teens yesterday. I just got in some more 350 gr bullets but still am having trouble finding 400 or 405 bullets, I have found some lead ones but not gas-checked.

Back