Shooting in the ??HOUSE??

To add to what Lee said, even though you are in the right, the hearing loss may be far less of an issue compared to the legal and psychological burden brought upon you after defending yourself. The criminals seem to have just as many rights as we do.:mad:

I dont understand the debate here. I have used firearms (both handguns and longguns) defensively against threats, sometimes without the benefit of ear pro. It WILL mess up your hearing...period

If legal in your area, jump thru the legal hoops and put a can on your HD pistol. My Glock fitted with an AAC TiRant 9s is about perfect. Still short/light enough to be easy to wield in close quarters. Quiet enough indoors to not worry about blowing my ears out.

Come home...screw the can on...attach a light and its ready to repel any mid-night visitors. DONE!!

Interesting and quite informative thread. To be honest I never gave the issue much thought, figuring I suppose that if I had to use a handgun for self defense at home, some hearing loss would be a relatively minor issue - compared with the risk of not dealing effectively with the threat.

For reasons I'd rather not explain in detail (:)) I always wear ear plugs in bed. After reading this I will more likely keep them plugged in if I'm awakened and there's a possibility of needing to defend myself. My 2.5 in. 357 Mag is loud enough on the range with full ear protection ....

I have a set of muffs near the night time SD gun. One for me and one for the wife. Unless, it is an instantaneous go for the gun - there's time to put them on.

We have alarms, etc. - so we might have the time unless it is a dynamic assault.

As far as not detecting damage - you need a professional exam to detect such at threshold levels and across the frequency spectrum.

No way I would want muffs on is a life or death situation, I think it would really mess with my senses and awarness.

what happens after the 44 magnum is discharged in the 1200

Well I can speak of the sound of a .44 magnum indoors.
I shot a raccoon in the corner my 36'x48' pole barn one night. I had put ear phones on before I shot. After I shot, I couldn't hear anything it was like the volume on the world was turned to zero. I took the 'phones off and over the span of a minute my hearing returned. It was scary at first, even with the hearing protection the .44 had temporarily deafened me.

Having used electronic muffs in numerous matches and FOF training, I will go with them as compared to losing my hearing in a critical incident.

Perhaps I shouldn't wear my glasses either? :rolleyes:

Electronic muffs let me hear things i cannot hear unaided

I've often wondered about these. While I'm not likely to add something like this to my daily CC, it might not be a bad idea for the nightstand.

Speaking of daily CC, I know it isn't uncommon for people to carry a back-up mag or speed-loader but what about other accessories? Hearing protection seems pretty impractical for the 99+% of the time that we are not under attack and putting it on is probably more complication than we'd have time for if we were...

While I'm not likely to add something like this to my daily CC, it might not be a bad idea for the nightstand.
I have a set by my nightstand. Would I remember them in a true emergency? My guess is not.

But if it's just for a bump-in-the-night type situation, I can put them on and actually get a sensory benefit of being able to hear better than normal. And if the bump turns out to be sinister, I'll still be able to hear after the first gunshot.

I do not advocate putting them on in a situation where there's any hint that time might be critical. There are better uses of your time in a situation like that and hearing loss shouldn't be really high on your lists of worries in that case.

I usually shoot outdoors at an open air range. It's basically a field honestly with a big hill on one side that serves as a berm.
I've never been remotely bothered by the sound of 10-15 people all shooting rifles pistols and shotguns all at once.

The other day I shot a couple pistols at an indoor range for the first time in probably 7 years. I was amazed by how load seven people shooting all at once was! I of course was wearing my usual muffs and my ears didn't hurt or anything but it was surprisingly distracting and annoying. It took extra effort and concentration to shoot even close to as well as I usually do. The sound was just so intense. It really made me think about what shootout inside my small house might sound like... Yikes!

Some guy was shooting an AR in the lane next to me and it sounded like fireworks going off!

Long story short - back in the late 70's, I shot a very nice whitetail buck with a .44 mag Ruger SBH out my open living room window while standing back a few feet inside the room. It hurt, and I'm sure I must have had at least SOME permanent damage from it.

I shot a bunch of rats (5, IIRC) in my rough log cabin up on the Great Divide several years ago with a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special whilst trying to block my ears with my left upper arm over my left ear and my left hand over the top of my head blocking my right ear. Seemed to work... mostly.

Now, my new question is whether or not I should plan to put my ears on if I hear a bump in the night and go to check it out? I probably wouldn't fumble trying to insert earplugs correctly and would want over the ear that couldn't go wrong... Would I be better off with the situational awareness of full hearing leading up to the potential engagement? Or would I have an advantage in a potential gunfight not being as effected by the noise (I am assuming my intruder would not be wearing ear protection).

I'm considering keeping my muffs on the nightstand too now.

So here's my question: For home defense, and being men and wanting BIG bangs; what happens after the 44 magnum is discharged in the 1200 square foot home with the wife and three children? Is everyone including me, deaf forever? SO lets look at even a 9 mm or a 38 or a little 22. Discharging one of any of these in an enclosed slab or two-story home, will defiantly effect hearing.

Most likely not. But if an intruder is intent in doing you harm, it wouldn't matter. Everybody would be most likely dead forever!

Suppressor sales have been through the roof the last couple years with home defense being a big part of it. Here's the "Don't Wake The Baby" model that is also easy on your ears if needed.

dfa1088db6bbaf9bbab56c2545db7e01.jpg

If someone's trying to murder my family and I I don't think I would give a crap about whether or not it hurt my hearing to stop them by whatever means.

If someone's trying to murder my family and I I don't think I would give a crap about whether or not it hurt my hearing to stop them by whatever means.

That's besides the point. If you have the time to throw on a pair of electronic hearing pro there is no reason not to. If time is of the essence, then of course don't bother. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

Take it from someone who has hearing loss and permanent ringing from noise exposure, it's no joke and at times can really effect your quality of life.

While I like the idea of using a suppressor, it sounds nice, but if the bump in the night brings their own guns, do you think that they'll respect your wishes and use their own suppressor ?

Back