Shooting from a moving object

I've shot foxes and coyotes out of air planes using a shotgun and it is a big difference when the target and the shooter are both moving. No lead required. Aim just behind them to hit them.

Has anyone practiced shooting from lets say a boat in the water. Here is a easier one. How about trying to balance yourself on a log, or yoga ball?

At the Chapman Academy we shot at stationary targets from the back of a jeep in the Advanced Pistol Course. That was back in '92!

Deaf

No, but I do routinely practice shooting from a transdimensional space between parallel universes.

The great thing about that is that you don't have to aim, just point, and the target breaks in both universes.

Really ramps up your scores.

I don't have any idea what a yoga ball is, but yeah I've shot from moving before. Quite common in USPSA, 3 gun and similar matches.

Not to mention from horses. I have a roping arena in my back yard. My wife and granddaughter got into to Mounted Cowboy Action Shooting a while back. Shooting balloons from horses.

Ed McGiven, in his book Fast and Fancy Revolver shooting has a section of on teaching cops how to shoot from running boards.

Without a doubt the best shooting while moving I've witnessed is seal hunting in the Bering sea. I was living with the Alaska Natives, and not being native I couldn't hunt marine animals I've went out with them to observe several times.

They hunt from skin boats, or alum. boats in choppy icy waters, hunting seals where they seldom got more then the head of a seal, bobbing in the water. The seal had to be killed instantly else they would sink (dive) and be lost.

They shot while moving up on the seal, after shooting, they'd have to harpoon the critters.

Moving while shooting isn't difficult, but like any other shooting requires a bit of practice.

As to yoga ball, again I have not idea what they are.

I shot Sporting Clays from the "imaginary boat", which was a little aluminum boat suspended on bedsprings. It bounced all over the place, but after the first shot you really didn't notice.

Doesn't every office have at least one person who insists on sitting on a yoga ball instead of an office chair?

Kraigwy a yoga ball is one of those inflatable 3 foot dia ball that you balance yourself on to work on your core muscles.

shooting from water.....shooting from a moving object.....whats next...shooting while free falling?.....shooting in the dark?...shooting while roller skating?.....shooting behind you with a mirror over your shoulder while peddling a bicycle in a crosswind?

Yep. When you shoot 3gun, you shoot from golf carts, boats, helicopters, zip-line, pick-ups, rope lines, etc. And yes, have shot from balance balls as well...that is really hard.

Shot several matches in the dark too.

I don't own a jetliner, but I still learned how to fly one. :)

Maybe we are being a bit harsh here. Maybe we should be a bit more open minded.
EOD1, would you be able to post pics or upload video of you doing this kind of shooting so we can see exactly what you are talking about? You have talked about being bored (you see, the word 'bored' does NOT contain the vowel A) with 'hitting everything you aim at', and some of your shooting suggestions may sound outlandish and frivolous, but if we were to see evidence of how your skill set is accomplished in such challenges, I bet it would go a long ways to getting others to try it out too.

Whats the worst that could happen?

Spacemanspiff. You are right. I guess I've been a little rude to you guys here. Like I said in some other posts , I'm retired so I have a lot of time on my hands. Where I live I have the desert at my finger tips to do just about what ever I want. Most people don't. When it cools off around here I have no problem putting up some videos of the stuff you want. You know if you train in the Lucky McDanials shot gun and rifle skills after a while you will start hitting everything you point your rifle at. I find it funny people, think they need to lead the bird to hit it. Now after saying that I'm sure you guys are going to run Right Out and start reading up. Most never do, they think they know all there is to know about shooting. I don't, still learning new things from old people. You know the old guys. Not from static shooters. Just out of curiosity , how many rounds do you guys shoot a week.

Mikeirwin that is awesome. Now i don't surf but I would try as long as I had a lot of girls in bikinis on the beach. The ones running the birds look nice

Eod1 said:
....You know if you train in the Lucky McDanials shot gun and rifle skills after a while you will start hitting everything you point your rifle at....
You're implying that you trained with Lucky McDaniel. He died in 1986 (and was no longer actively training folks after 1982). According to the year of birth you entered in your profile here, you were born in 1973.

Last edited:
Here is a new project I will let you guys in on. Just as roashooter what I'm going to do with it. 1 hint , its has to do with GUNS. Now its going to take me at least 2 years to get it done so no peaking.

Retired at age 44? Wow. I'm available for adoption if you need someone to will your money, guns, and gear to.

My weekly round count is fairly low, unless we count how many rounds I fire in Ghost Recon Wildlands. Then I'm probably in the 10,000 round range. More if I jump into the gunner seat of whatever vehicle or helicopter my buddy is piloting. :D

I went through a small ad-hoc pre-deployment course at Ft Pickett back in '09 and part of it was shooting at pop-up targets along this road from SUVs with M4s.......

Back