Shaving cream for gun cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbasol has a jingle ,

" Barbasol , Barbasol... no brush , no lather, no rub-in...Wet your razor, then begin. "

OK Reinert, make a barrel cleaning jingle with it .
The Burma Shave redo was great.

Gary

Ok,after all the joking around posts "

My first unit in the Army, we had probably 3-5 M4s that the finish was gone on the upper and lower receiver (only the receivers, not barrel, stock, etc). I asked the armor what happened and he said some Soldiers were using shaving cream to clean their weapons and no one realized it until it was too late. I can't confirm with first hand knowledge that it's true, but the armorer was a stand-up guy who I trusted and I always accepted it as fact.

This has nothing to do with chrome bores.

The aluminum receiver gains a lot of durability from the hard anodize coat.
IF it is true shaving cream compromises the anodizing,that is a good reason to NOT use shaving cream.
Having said that, the "IF" word is pretty big. I do not suggest it is confirmed fact,and for now I am skeptical shaving cream would hurt the anodizing.
But I don't use shaving cream.

There is also the aspect in the military of:
Weapons will be cleaned every month, regardless of use.
Weapons will be cleaned for three consecutive days after use.
"There's nothing on the training schedule, go clean your weapon"

Might be shaving cream related, it might not, but a few hours of scrubbing with CLP and an AP brush every month also have a lot to due with wearing off the finish.

Looking forward to trying shaving cream next time I shoot and clean my muzzleloaders. Folks have used everything else with success.

David. :)

I've never tried it in a muzzleloader, but there probably isn't any reason it wouldn't work. Most of us have other things we have been using for a long time, but a little experimenting might be worthwhile?????

Ok... since the thread is still open.... Based on the answers so far, if it was used at some point, what would have been different?? The aerosol shave cream of today I'm sure is different than say in the 60's. Would the older version have ingredients that made it make sense then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back