Shaving cream for gun cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tabasco however you will get some very good cleaning results. It will do a wonderful job removing the bluing from your firearm. That I can guarantee you with certainty.

Don't use Tabasco in your bore. t will make your loads too hot. :D

I have heard motor oil on wood will cause the fibers in the wood to break down. I read about someone who put used motor oil on his wood fence and after a time it started to come apart.

I have to agree with Dennis. Why do some people go out of their way to avoid using gun specific products to clean their guns? Its right up there with some who insist on shooting 32acp out of a 32 caliber revolver instead of just getting the proper ammo for it.

I took a look at a can of Barbosol. It has stearic acid in it. If you use it I suggest flushing the bore with water to remove the acid.

Since that is the case, might as well stick to the age old hot soapy water and call it a done deal.

I have treated all my handguns to that SOP for over 50 years.

Several hundred years of needing to effectively clean weapons has yielded some damned good purpose designed products...and they are NOT expensive

My weapons ARE Expensive...and I plan on them lasting three life times maybe more

I never ever scoured (pun) around the bathroom or kitchen to see what I could clean/lube my weapon with....ever

Well you can post anything you want, but you are going to get some serious blowback for something that is so off the chart as to have the vast majority of serious gun owners beating their head on the table.

I don't even use it on my face let alone in a gun.

I took a look at a can of Barbosol. It has stearic acid in it. If you use it I suggest flushing the bore with water to remove the acid.

Since that is the case, might as well stick to the age old hot soapy water and call it a done deal.

I have treated all my handguns to that SOP for over 50 years.
If my college chemistry still serves me... I believe Stearic Acid is more like a wax, and the pH barely acidic. It's generally used as an emulsifier/surfactant.

HiBc

while I do love #9

I am also a model airplane guy who love the smell of glow fuel

So i have to bounce from Old Spice, to #9 , and 25%N

Wife prefers the Old spice... dogs the #9...25% nitro just makes me smile

As someone who has used a lot of solvents to clean gun barrels,
I am driven to ask- Dear hunter88, had you heard someone had success with
Barbasol Shaving Cream, recently, or in the past?

It seems that perhaps there may be something you know, that we don't ?

I believe someone actually made a Hoppe #9 scented after shave for a while. One of my favorite scents.

I am also a model airplane guy who love the smell of glow fuel

fredvon4 I just got back from the flying field where I had a good day flying a Tower Trainer with an FP-40 for power. I still smell like VP Powermaster 10%. I love the whiff of castor oil you will sometimes get on take off.

I have a big bottle of Hoppe's Benchrest Copper solvent I bought many years ago. Along with Birchwoodcasey and Hoppe's regular #9. And for tough copper fouling I have Barnes CR-10. I bought these over time and doubt I have $30 in all of it. And all of it is safe for my guns.

If I have a cylinder on a revolver that has some baked on fouling from shooting 38 in a 357 as soon as I get home I will spray WD-40 or Remoil in the cylinder and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then it will brush out without much effort. Why would I risk an expensive gun to save a couple of bucks?

While I too like the smell of Hoppes, sadly, it makes my wife pretty sick, just the smell.

So I gave it up for the odorless cleaners, which do a better job anyway.

I still have a bottle of the Big H, I can take a sniff when I want.

Somehow Hoppes and guns are synomomous, the associate you make by smell growing up stay with you forever. .

No way, but shooting a can of shaving cream is fun...

In Ed's Red I trust. All other gun cleaning products come in a distant second at best.

Tony

I applied used motor oil to the roughcut oak deck on my homemade flatbed trailer... Works great and the bugs haven't touched it, trailer is near ten years old now... Tad slippery loading the wheelers that first couple weeks though! LOL! But it has certainly outlasted Thompsons water seal in preserving the wood thus far.. Would I use motor oil in or on my house??? Hell no!

Barbisol or other shaving creams will work as a bore cleaner, provided you rinse them out with a uric acid solution.

So I gave it up for the odorless cleaners, which do a better job anyway.
Yup, most of my cleaning is now done with cleaners which are nearly odorless. Better results, as you say, and no complaints from the other resident. :D

So it's late and maybe I missed this but, and I say this not joking or trolling, what made you think shaving cream was a good gun cleaner??? Is this an old school kind of thing??? It just seems so out of left field that I wonder where it came from.

Mobile 1 I get.
3 in 1 oil I get and use
High end food grade machine lubricant I get and use
I even sort of understand WD40 although I wouldn't use as it only displaces a.water.

Where did shaving cream originate???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back