Semiauto vs. Revolver - which is more popular in the US?

Well, in the CHL class I took, there were 10 students. 9 had Semi autos and one had a revolver. I don't know if it's a 9 to 1 ratio across the board, but that's what it was in that classroom. Oh, and the instructors both carried semi autos also.

For me personally, it is a 5 to 2 ratio.

Well, in the CHL class I took, there were 10 students. 9 had Semi autos and one had a revolver. I don't know if it's a 9 to 1 ratio across the board, but that's what it was in that classroom. Oh, and the instructors both carried semi autos also.

I carry a revolver almost exclusively, but qualified with a semi-auto in my CHL class. I don't think the ratio in the quote is representative because in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you're stuck with carrying only a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either a semi-auto or a revolver. All of the instructors that I've ever met will tell you to qualify with semi-auto even if you don't have one. A lot of them will also loan or rent one to you.

Which is more popular (not totals made)? Go to range, gun shows and sporting goods stores and look... Semi-Autos

I don't think the ratio in the quote is representative because in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you're stuck with carrying only a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either a semi-auto or a revolver.
I agree, it's likely that at least some of those participants are revolver shooters but took a semi-auto to the class due to the restriction.

The good news is that in the last legislative session, the handgun category on the CHL was eliminated. Now you can qualify with any handgun 32 caliber and above regardless of whether it's a revolver or semi-auto and it will have no effect at all on what you can carry.

Just a caution--if your permit has the category on it, you should continue to abide by the restriction until your next renewal.

I agree, it's likely that at least some of those participants are revolver shooters but took a semi-auto to the class due to the restriction.

The good news is that in the last legislative session, the handgun category on the CHL was eliminated. Now you can qualify with any handgun 32 caliber and above regardless of whether it's a revolver or semi-auto and it will have no effect at all on what you can carry.

Just a caution--if your permit has the category on it, you should continue to abide by the restriction until your next renewal.

Wow Texas has that. I thought it was one of the better states. Kinda shocked they have a say in what you can carry

All I know is if my life depended on it I would carry a revolver with a auto as a back up. If i could not carry a M1A.

Look at the number of threads, and posts in the Semi-auto forum vs. the revolver forum. It is more than two to one in favor of semi-autos.

I like revolvers, but I use semi-autos for most of my shooting purposes. I like the ergonomics better, I like the grips better, if I want higher capacity, I can get it with a semi-auto, although I often carry an 8 + 1 single stack.

In my gun cabinet: 5 Semi-auto's; 6 revolvers.

My CCW: Semi-auto (9mm)

My nightstand gun: Revolver (usually)

My IDPA shooter: Revolver (yes, revolver - it's more fun)

My absolute favorite gun to shoot - Semi-auto (Colt 1911)

After it's all said n done, I consider myself a wheelgun guy.

Back