Semiauto vs. Revolver - which is more popular in the US?

Id say to know the answer to this all one would need to do is look up your manufacturers and see what they all offer. What dominates the shelves would seem to be the most popular to me.

Just an off the cuff answer, and well, it's a bit of an international pool, but just look at the number of threads in the respective forums here. Semi autos have about a 2 to 1 thread count advantage, and I think the views are even more unbalanced.

No, it's not really scientific, but it does represent most if not all states, and other countries as well. No, it doesn't take into account threads in general forums or c&r types specifically, but can still give some information.

Any just a thought I hadn't seen posted yet.

popularity isnt always about what someone likes, or wants. but what can be afforded.

Alot of people who have 2-300 dollar semi autos in their drawers would much rather have that 900 dollar sw da/sa. but if you can only afford beans and grits, your going to eat grits and beans. And be happy you have that.

For years I thought about getting a nice cute little USFA rodeo in 45 or 44 but couldnt. price was to much. so i have a nice little heritage revolver. It works. Its not a usfa by any margin. but i can still get parts for it, and customer support.

to many people get that semi auto because its what the stores want to SELL. they dont have as quick a turnover on revolvers anymore. Although most second guns seem to be a revolver.

seriously, the trend ive seen first hand is get a semi auto first and get the cpl and trigger time in. then go back and get a serious gun. a revolver.

I looked into number last month, I just clipped this from a post I made in the beginning of July.

In 2010 there were approx 235 pistol manufacturers and about 31 revolver manufacturers reported in the US (most of the revolver manufacturers fall under pistol manufacturers as well). In 2012, US production statistics show an average of 889,125 pistols and 352,625 revolvers produced for that year. That is not that far apart considering the lop-sided amount of producers.

Also, the revolver/shotgun sales, while on the decline since the mid-80's, have stabilized between 2009 and 2011 and are actually on the rise since 2012. That tells me that a lot of the new shooters that have entered that pool in those years are opting for revolvers/shotguns for their personal protection.

Semis are more popular but revolvers are not going anywhere anytime soon. Case in point, I bought my first handgun last month and it was a revolver.

It would be nearly impossible to guess at which category accounts for most currently owned handguns.

It's easier to say which category is being sold at a higher rate at the current time.

It seems reasonable to assume that looking at what's in stock is a reasonable reflection of what is selling. In recent times, the local gun shops clearly stock more autopistols than revolvers.

According to this report, in 2011, there were about 9 pistols manufactured for every 2 revolvers made.

http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics...inal-firearms-manufacturing-export-report.pdf

Saw a poll recently -- pretty large population. The semi-auto was clearly the winner which kinda surprised me by its extent!

Just look at the number of posts in the semi auto forum vs the revolver forum here, and at other gun web forums. That will tell you which is more popular.

I'm currently running revolvers as 47% of my handgun cache.

My first two handguns and 3 of my first 4 were revolvers.
Also interesting is that 7 of my 9 most recent handgun buys were revolvers.

No way, no way could I make it this "simple" but I will tell you that it is fact and no joke that NOT having to pick up brass is a big part of that. ;)

I succumbed to the buying frenzy a few months back,being that I wanted a semi auto that held more than ten rounds.

I bought a Beretta 92FS and found they had a dozen or so of them, and various other semi autos.

But they had sold EVERY revolver they had in stock, and they carry a lot of revolvers.

That I found rather odd, being that there was no talk of any ban on revolvers.

My thought on this question comes from personal experience. The fact is that a revolver tends to be more reliable. They are for the most part usually all of steel or alloy construction. the revolver has fewer moving parts which adds to its simplicity. Just less to go wrong. There will always be a revolver in my house. The only drawback to a revolver over a semi auto is the capacity and the size of the cylinder when considering carry options. The semi autos are easy to conceal for the most part. the polymer types seem to be thicker and more bulky. The steel or alloy guns are more along the lines of my preference when it comes to carry. I guess I am just "old school" when it comes to this. It's really hard to find anything that is better than a 1911 style handgun when it comes to durability and reliability and ease of carry. It's all a matter of preference. What do you want and how do you plan to use it. just like everything else in life. You have choices. It's up to you to decide through research, trial and error, what works best for you!
There is no real answer to this question. The only thing you will get is opinion.

I am, (with pride), what court witness Ms. Jeanette called 'old school'.

I own a Smith and Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, dash 3, that was once part of the inventory of one of Califonia's county sherriff divisions, and has been gone over by the armsmith, before sale, and even given a black teflon coating, with a Hogue monogrip. I once carried a Model 15 on my hip, as part of my armamment for base perimeter security detail in SouthEast Asia.

I own a Browning Hi-Power 9mm MkIII, that was offered, (since removed from the catalogue), in digital MARPAT coating. It is just as sweet as you have heard about them. I have kept the magazine safety in place, since the difference between the pull of the trigger with it installed, is near to what my double-action Model 15 requires.

For the record, I feed the Model 15 standard pressure semi-wadcutters (non-hp) and full wadcutters. I feed the MKIII BHP L9mmx ammunition, in deference to the suggestion by the late Stephen A. Camp, BHP guru (ave'!).

"So d'at, d'ere, Jeaneete ol' girl?"

That's a tough question to answer. In my opinion, I'd say that there are more semi-autos than revolvers in the US as a whole. That may vary from region to region, though. Revolvers may not be far behind in total numbers though.

Wheel guns vs semi-auto pistols.....

As of 2013, Id say the semi-auto pistol is more common but if you took a audit of every working handgun in the USA, the revolver may still be first.

Most if not all sworn LE agencies & private security firms have converted to the semi-auto pistol.
Around 10 years ago, 2000-2003, there were security outfits that mandated 6 shot .38spl revolvers. Now, in 2013, it's swung around to only wanting 9mm semi-auto pistols, :rolleyes:.

Clyde

As time goes on autos will be more and more popular. One of the reasons is that revolvers keep getting crappier and crappier whereas we are indeed in a golden age of semi autos and they will keep getting better and better.

I won't buy ugly Ruger revolvers with their billboard lawyer babble and transfer bars, ugly Smith and Wesson revolvers with useless holes in their sides, and both Colt and Dan Wesson are kaput for revolvers.

Correction about Colt: they are kaput for double actions but their single actions are still great.

Based on what's in the stores, what people bring to the range, what are advertised in magazines, the fact that the majority of manufacturers do good business making no revolvers at all, the answer seems pretty obvious - semi-autos are much more popular. If it wasn't for some diehards and snub-noses being to good for CC, revolvers might become a thing of the past. I hope not, because I still like them.

Most noobs go out and buy a Glock 23 as their first gun so I'd expect there to be many more bottom feeders out there than wheel guns, but not in my gun cabinet.

Just look at the numbers of viewers who are looking at the revolver and the semi auto section here. That tells you something.

Or . . . go in to any gun store that sells revolvers and semi-autos . . . . . that will also get you to draw the same conclusion . . . .

Myself . . . I'm 60 and much prefer revolvers over semis - but I have always shot revolvers. I was brought up with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. and that probably had a great influence in regards to my likes and dislikes.

Today's kids are brought up with a whole different kind of "hero" who usually is blasting away with a semi-auto . . .

Not always true but I think that most younger people prefer the semis . . . most older ones prefer revolvers . . . with some "in the middle of the road"

The lure of higher round magazines have made pistols more popular than revolvers over the years. Reliability improvements and better pistol ammo also contributes to pistols being more popular. Just don't count revolvers out just yet they do have their place in the firearms industry.

Jim

Back