Seating in Public?

Maybe you should visit the lower 48 and get in touch with reality and see how the real world lives.

yeah they are just rioting in the sreets in the entire US :cool:

WildiwonderwhosreallyoutoftouchAlaska

Sorry to jump in ahead of you on this one Wild, but I gotta. (well, guess I didn't get in ahead of ya--Oh well.)

I think the general flavor of the topic started with the idea of how we act WHERE WE ARE in our normal, everyday environment. So where does ANYONE come off with the idea of comparing and judging "my neighborhood vs. yours--I'm right and you're a fruitcake" attitude?

Carrying a handgun and feeling the need for tactical training IS NOT a statement that we should all eat "weapons" for breakfast and breathe "tactics" all day. Having a weapon and knowing well how to use it doesn't mean I should be Jonny-on-the-spot--mr, 24/7 gung-ho and ready to go. I carry a Leatherman all day too, but you won't catch me running around foaming at the mouth to be mr. fix-it. Just my 2-cents.

Personally, I might look at someone who can be so relaxed and comfortable in their environment and think to myself "hmm... must be a nice place--ought to go there some day."

And what in the world does visiting Beirut or Baghdad or Kabul have to do with ANY of it?

Ken,

When you are down in the lower 48 swing by and visit my hood. The armadillo and deer are a challenge and by god no seecamp .32 is enough in this neighborhood. Bring one of those lever action cannons and lets rock and roll. Condition red is a way of life and we take no prisoners. The boar down here are kosher but I'm still wondering about armadillos-not to mention those possums-- giant ugly rats.

over and out

David

Rangerfinder,

Since you were in such as hurry to "jump ahead" on this one you probably didn't bother to read the entire thread and if you had you would know what "visiting Beirut or Baghdad or Kabul " has to do with it! So I suggest you go back a few posts and re-read them and maybe you can figure it out all by YOURSELF! (see I can use big letters too!) :D
So where does ANYONE come off with the idea of comparing and judging "my neighborhood vs. yours--I'm right and you're a fruitcake" attitude?
"Fruitcake attitude? "my neighborhood vs. yours"? What thread did you read that in or did you make that up all by YOURSELF?
Rangerfinder said:
Carrying a handgun and feeling the need for tactical training IS NOT a statement that we should all eat "weapons" for breakfast and breathe "tactics" all day. Having a weapon and knowing well how to use it doesn't mean I should be Jonny-on-the-spot--mr, 24/7 gung-ho and ready to go.
:confused: Are you making this sh*t up as you go along?

Mr Wild stated that it was "sad" when someone stated that "the world was a dangerous place" and even said he frequently did not carry his firearm, I guess because he felt "so safe", sooo I was wondering why he felt the need for any tactical training especially when he brags about leaving the "Seecamp" in the glove box of his truck. If he thinks the world is such a safe place what the hell does he need to carry a handgun for anyway?

I'm not "Johnny-on-the-spot--mr, 24/7 gung-ho and ready to go" but what I don't understand is, when do you guys decide it's the right time to carry and the wrong time to carry? I mean do the BG's only work certain hours? When I made the decision to carry concealed more then 30 years ago, I decided I would carry fulltime, not only when I felt like it or when I thought I might get mugged or attacked. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

You seem to be making more of a big deal of this then I am. I only said what some of us Vietnam vets have a tendency of doing as far as public seating goes and then I commented on the ridiculous statement that ole' Wild made about how "safe" the world was.

If everyone is so "relaxed and comfortable in their environment" and feels so un-threatened why do they feel the need to carry a handgun in the first place?

So there's my 2 cents, just like you. Now do you feel better for butting your nose in where it didn't belong? I know, you just had to "jump ahead" but I don't know why, you didn't say anything that made any sense. But if it makes you feel important then I guess that's all that matters and besides it gets your post count up. ;)

Man..... After all that--the only thing I can really say is take a breather. You see the world however you want to see it, and for your own reasons. That goes for the rest of us, too. Some of the rest of us have seen our share of ugliness in the world, and in no uncertain terms I myself should have bought the farm more than a couple times. But seriously, I don't see much good coming from a dark, grim view of the world in general as a result of being caught in it a few times. It doesn't make it any less important, but it doesn't rule how I choose to see the rest of the world from one day to the next. If it did, then it would have killed me after all, and I just haven't had the good sense to lay down yet.

I licensed to carry so that I could--not because I couldn't NOT carry. To each their own I guess.

We all have our own reasons for doing things and it does not make one right and one wrong.

Peace. Stay safe.

Regards.

Riverrat66

I try to follow Wild Bill's rule when I'm out. It's something that been ingrained in me for several years and I really don't conscieously notice it.

movie

ok let's say you go to the movies with your SO.. and there's 2 adjacent seats avaiable in the middle row and 1 seat available in the very back row with good lines of sight and next to the emergency exit. Do you:

A) Take the middle row seats with your SO and enjoy the movie
B) Take the seat in the back of the movie theatre and tell your SO to go home and naturally lock the doors and ready the shotgun because the theatre is too dangerous for her.
C) Would never go to the movie theatres in the first place that's why you got the 50" plasma TV and surround sound built in your bunker in the first place.

Meddac19,

Yeah just a rat in a shell. Dumb and blind to boot. They also carry Hanson's disease (leprosy). Been trying to trap one that is digging up my yard but he is too dumb to go into the have a heart. Trapped just about everything else from pets to skunks to even a fox. Can't discharge a firearm in Austin but the pellet gun is charged and ready.

David

Carried to its extreme some folks only feel "safe" with their thumb on the deadman switch. :) I'm not one of them. Everyones idea of reasonable caution (and humor) varies.

Attachments

• joe.jpg
    joe.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 38
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Do you understand what OCD really is:

Try reading this:
"Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, OCD, is an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety. Obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD, involves anxious thoughts or rituals you feel you can't control. If you have OCD, you may be plagued by persistent, unwelcome thoughts or images, or by the urgent need to engage in certain rituals.

You may be obsessed with germs or dirt, so you wash your hands over and over. You may be filled with doubt and feel the need to check things repeatedly. You may have frequent thoughts of violence, and fear that you will harm people close to you. You may spend long periods touching things or counting; you may be pre-occupied by order or symmetry; you may have persistent thoughts of performing sexual acts that are repugnant to you; or you may be troubled by thoughts that are against your religious beliefs.

The disturbing thoughts or images are called obsessions, and the rituals that are performed to try to prevent or get rid of them are called compulsions. There is no pleasure in carrying out the rituals you are drawn to, only temporary relief from the anxiety that grows when you don't perform them.

A lot of healthy people can identify with some of the symptoms of OCD, such as checking the stove several times before leaving the house. But for people with OCD, such activities consume at least an hour a day, are very distressing, and interfere with daily life.

Most adults with this condition recognize that what they're doing is senseless, but they can't stop it. Some people, though, particularly children with OCD, may not realize that their behavior is out of the ordinary."

So what you're saying is, just because of the way someone chooses their seat in public they have OCD? Now I've heard everything! :rolleyes:

You're bashing the wrong Bush.:D
What difference does it make? ;)

Words to live by:
Antipitas said:
those who have to criticize others for the way they conduct themselves when such conduct does not in any way interfere with your own lifestyle, need to look at yourselves and figure out why you have this compulsion to so judge others.

It's time to move on.

If one suffered from the anxiety symptoms related to OCD when they did not get correct tactical seating - that might be OCD.

I could theorize that someone who was forced to take a tactical seat and had to perform scans of the room in a repetitive manner and if thwarted in that - had the OCD anxiety symptoms could have a problem.

However, I have a friend who is expert on the anxiety disorders and I'm going to ask if they ever saw an OCD manifest in extreme tactical behavior as compared to the usual obsessions and compulsions.

That's an interesting question. I wonder if it would manifest in people with much training under a stress-diathesis model. :confused: Could you see in police or military?

So I investigate the issue with a colleague expert in the anxiety disorders.

We are describing some folks who have a symptom of hypervigilance that is disruptive of their lives. To live in a constant state of scanning and feeling anxiety in public of the threat of constant attack is not healthy.

If one could not be seated in a restaurant or movie theatre because a tactical suitable table or set of seats is not available is disruptive. If one were forced to sit in such and then suffered from heightened anxiety such that your flight or fight mechanisms led to arousal, emotional distress or intrusive cognitive thoughts about threat would be troublesome.

However, such symptomology is not really found under the OCD rubric. It is most common in two disorders:

GAD - general anxiety disorder.
PTSD - post traumatic stress disorder. PTSD has a precipitating incident to lead to the hypervigilance.

That's where you see extreme hypervigilance that describes someone always scanning for exits, extremely careful of seating, evaluating everyone for threats, etc.

Some of this does sound like our normal gun world alertness and awareness. However, for the disorders, you get the extreme anxiety symptoms and disruption of your normal daily business.

If a person's life is disrupted significantly or they suffer severe feelings of distress, then their color codes are a touch out of control, IMHO.

An example:

1. I refused to take my family to an ice cream store at closing time. It was located in a strip mall and sort of isolated. That's a good time for a robbery. I regard that as careful.

2. I go to Olive Garden and it is crowded. The only table isn't tactical. I take it anyway and don't really feel anxious. I don't leave the restaurant. Do I know cognitively that it isn't the best gunworld decision. Probably - do I think that the amount of risk is manageable - yes, I do. Do I have an anxiety event over it - no, I don't.

It brings a smile to my face...

I still smile everytime I watch one of my well intentioned, thought provoking, threads take off running.:rolleyes: I'm glad there is such a wide diversity of individuals with which to express and exchange ideas.:)

"The day you stop thinking and learning is the day you start dying."-Einstein

IMO, the chances of someone with OCD having to worry about "tactical seating" is slim to none. I've known many people with just that condition and t.s. was the last thing on their minds.

Anthony2 - this is an interesting thread. The OCD path was wrong speculation - you do see the tactical seating syndrome in the GAD and PTSD populations. However, they are not necessarily gun folks in orientation, they just worry about threats and exits.

My colleague was running a group for PTSD suffers with this problem and told me that they had to change meeting rooms as the scheduled one didn't have enough exits.

Back