SD weapons conditions

Well, its the simplest terms.. If I can pull the trigger and it goes bang! (its ready). If I cant pull the trigger or pull the trigger and it doesnt go bang! (its unready). Before anybody gets all bent out of shape, I do not have a single action pistol sitting around cocked (and unlocked). I dont typically use SA pistols so they are the exception to the rule.

I dont get into a bunch of color codes or numerical conditions. Its a weapon and its simply ready or its not.

Last edited:
All of my defensive semis have fully loaded mags and rounds in the chamber. Shotguns and rifles that i use for home defence usually are fully loaded with empty chambers. Dont have any reasoning to it just how i was raised. No kids here so no locks on them. I usually keep an assortment of firearms concealled around my house and property.

Single actions are condition one. Doubles in condition two. Two 12 gauge pumps loaded to the hilt on safe in the cabinet. Everything else is unloaded with ammunition separate but nearby.

If a gun of mine is used for SD, it's loaded, one in the chamber at all times. I use a 1911 for a nightstand gun because it has night sights and a safety that I have to click off before it can fire. I am fully awake when I wake up and am not concerned about accidently firing a round while half asleep. At home, bad things usually happen very fast and if you have to load your gun and rack the slide, you're way behind the curve.

what condition you guys and gals keep your self-defense weapons in. Whether it be concealed carry or home/property defense.

Pristine!

I have a practice Glock 26 that gets dirty as heck but my Glock 26, 27, AND 33 are maybe shot once every three months and then cleaned immediately.

Same goes for long guns. Yes I do have practice versions of 'em!

Deaf

Your answers could be brought up if you are involved in a court case ... be careful, this is public.

My view:

If you are NOT fully alert the second you wake, DO NOT HAVE A LOADED GUN AT HAND ... PERIOD! SORRY, YOU ARE NOT ABLE, LIKE A DRUNK DRIVER GOING 100 MPH ON THE FREEWAYS, SORRY...

Readiness

I live alone (with the dog; she's pretty agreeable). There are several handguns about the place, depending on time of year and the mood I'm in. All the handguns that are not in a display or locked up are loaded and ready to use.

I also have a couple of 'long guns'; an M1 carbine and a pump shotgun. The carbine has a loaded magazine in place, but no round chambered, same condition as the shotgun. Both are secured in concealed positions.

No children live with me, very few children visit. That may be changing, so I'll have to re-think where certain items are located. Essentially the firearms conditions will remain the same.

I don't like the idea of having a loaded weapon on or in my night stand for two reasons. God forbid a badguy came in an I was not woken - well there is the gun for him to use against me -- not likely but it is remotely possible. Also I don't want to be reaching for the loaded weapon in a state of being half asleep. I keep my Glock G22 in a biometric safe a few feet from my bed with a high powered flashlight on top of the safe. The gun has 15 rounds in the mag, none in the chamber. It must be racked, the reason I do this is I am concerned that in the heat of the moment when I reach into the safe in the dark it is to easy to hit the trigger by error. I know it is that way and have no problem racking the slide as I take it out.

In my office I keep my 1911 in a code locked box in the desk and it is chambered, cocked and locked.

I understand not wanting to have a loaded gun by your bed if you are not usually fully coherent the second you wake up. This is all completely personal preference. I haven't had a problem with waking up in a haze yet; I actually kind of jolt up out of my bed when I wake up. I'm sure this is one of those things that may change with age and experience though.

In Canada we are not allowed to purchase firearms for self defense.
we can purchase pistols and restricted rifles for only 2 reasons.
Target shooting and collecting.
i'm a target shooter.

All guns in the safe.
All guns unloaded.
A loaded magazine next to each pistol and loaded mags in the door pockets for the AR's.
I have a few stripper clips handy for the SKS for the helluvit.
I don't bother keeping a loaded mag for the Savage 10BA since it's not exactly a home defense rifle at 16lbs loaded.

I'm just following our great gun laws to the absolute minimum required by law.

Our right to life is protected by the charter of rights and freedoms.
"LIFE, LIBERTY AND SECURITY OF PERSON.
7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice."

My view:

If you are NOT fully alert the second you wake, DO NOT HAVE A LOADED GUN AT HAND ... PERIOD! SORRY, YOU ARE NOT ABLE, LIKE A DRUNK DRIVER GOING 100 MPH ON THE FREEWAYS, SORRY...

All caps reminds me of someone yelling. Why are you yelling?

That's your opinion. Not a problem. But what you're saying is wrong. Is not wrong. Sorry..

I don't like the idea of having a loaded weapon on or in my night stand for two reasons. God forbid a badguy came in an I was not woken - well there is the gun for him to use against me -- not likely but it is remotely possible. Also I don't want to be reaching for the loaded weapon in a state of being half asleep.
Keep your bedroom door locked and no bad guy will sneak up on you.

Keep the handgun in a holster and out of reach so you will not grab it in your sleep.

Back