SD weapons conditions

I have my CCW piece in condition one at all times. It's an M&P9c with no safeties and I have small children. When its not on me it's in places too high for them to get to.

I also keep a .38 jframe in the house for my wife as her HD gun. No safeties here either, just the long smooth S&W DA trigger pull. It too is up high where the kiddos can't get it.

I don't like safeties on any defense guns I run with the exception of my 1911.

Every mag I own is loaded for any firearm I own. None are inserted into their respective firearms though for the ones in the safe because they are in the safe. That's as ready as I feel inclined to be with those firearms.

Last edited:
12 ga loaded ready to go. two 40 sw full mags rounds in chamber on both, model 60 22lr tube maxed nothing in chamber

Until bed one 40 is on me all the time. When I leave the house wife has the other 40 on her hip all the time until im back. Shotgun is by the bed along with 22 rifle, her 40 on her side of the bed mine on mine at night.

Kids are grown and out of the house. Live in he country no close neighbors so if we blow the house full of holes with over penetration I guess we got a big drywall job to do after the invasion;)

I have a few hidden strategically placed around the house, all with loaded chamber, mostly full mags, usually -2 on hi caps. CCW is in holster with loaded chamber and -1 in mag. CCW stays in the safe unless I am carrying along with everything else like rifles, shotguns, extra pistols.

I keep one in the chamber, both in my carry gun and home defense gun. The reason is, feed failures can happen at the most inopportune times, or I might find myself in a hand-to-hand scuffle right from the start, or possibly injured early on. With a round in the chamber, I'll at least get one "bang".

Let's se...LCP in my back pocket,Walther P-38 in a clip on holster on the bedframe,Beretta 92FS on the nightstand,LC9 and Model 37 S&W 38 on the dresser,Remington 1875 45 cal.on the shelf with my WW2 helmets,AK-47 in the closet,and a 9MM carbine leaning against the wall.
Also have a SXS 12 gauge next to my chair in the living room.
All fully loaded and one in the chamber.

My wife and I are in our 60's and no children in the house,and we're out in the country,and...oh she has a Colt Detective Special, and a S&W Model 637 on her nightstand.
I know ...I know a little overkill, but what the heck, that's what they're for, protection

I know ...I know a little overkill, but what the heck, that's what they're for, protection

I wouldn't say that is overkill. After all, can you ever really have too much protection? I know I, for one, find the line between caution and paranoia to be somewhat blurry.

That being said, there aren't enough people in my home to use that many guns, so I personally wouldn't have that many in condition 1. Although, some other people brought up some pretty good points about having different guns for different situations. I live in the city, so I don't have to worry about a bear in my kitchen, coyotes killing my chickens, or that pesky hog infestation; If I did, however, I would definitely have a few extra condition 1 long guns within easy access for my wife and I.

Full magazine, minus one.....and that one in the chamber (I don't do the "+1" thing anymore). Pistol decocked, safety on.

My wife and I have kids, so no 'nightstand' firearms for us. GunVaults are under the bed - Sig P220 and P239 (9mm) full magazines + 1 in the chamber. (his and hers... cute, eh?) Our house is situated in such a way that as soon as an alarm is tripped we can access the pistol and be in the hallway in about ten seconds. That is way faster than anyone can get in the door (or window) and up the steps.

My other firearms are all in a locked room in safes. One AR, one AK-47 and a Saiga 12 are quickly accessible with loaded magazines next to each (again, locked in safe).

is situated in such a way that as soon as an alarm is tripped we can access the pistol and be in the hallway in about ten seconds. That is way faster than anyone can get in the door (or window) and up the steps.

Having an alarm system will be a must whenever my wife and I can finally afford to live in a house instead of apartments. It would also make me feel WAY better about not having my gun right next to me outside of a safe.

My carry gun is always kept loaded. I keep an 870 Remington next to the bed chamber empty ready to rack the slide to chamber a round. Wife keeps her carry gun on the night stand next to the bed as well. All guns in the safe are kept unloaded. Ammo is kept in a sperate locker.

I only have 2 guns, a Ruger SR9C and a S&W Bodyguard 380. The 380 is always on me wherever I go that is legal. At night it is in my pants pocket right next to the bed where I can easily reach it. I always have the safety on and one in the chamber with a full mag of 6. My Ruger stays under my bed in its case, and I have 2 mags for it I keep loaded locked in my lock box. That way if someone were to get their hands on the gun it would be worthless because they couldn't get to the mags. They couldn't even drop a round in the chamber and shoot it because it has a mag disconnect. Also there's no kids around or anything to worry about.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

They couldn't even drop a round in the chamber and shoot it because it has a mag disconnect

Never thought of that use for a mag disconnect safety. I only keep my guns locked up, not my ammo, so this would be especially helpful if they just tried to put loose rounds in my handguns.

Although, thinking back on it now, if they manage to get a gun, they'll have a mag with it because I keep my mags with my guns...just an unloaded one.

If a gun is in a holster, it's loaded with a round in the chamber (and decocked unless DAO.) If it's not in a holster, it's unloaded (but check to make sure.) I have a few cheap holsters that I never carry just for this purpose.

I haven't figured out a system for rifles yet. At the moment they are unloaded, but I have loaded magazines in the range bag.

My kids are grown. When grandkids come along, the guns will all be locked up unless on my person.

My home protection gun is usually just whatever gun I have been carrying as of late.

If its one of my revolvers, I keep it with cylinder loaded, either in my quick-access safe or in the holster on my nightstand or desk in my room.

If its an auto I keep it chambered in the holster, or chamber-empty in the safe.

Any gun being carried is carried with mag full and chamber loaded, or cylinder full, while on my person.

All other guns are kept locked up in the safe, unloaded. I do have several mags / speed loaders in a drawer near the guns, though. However, the safe is in the basement, so not readily accessible from my room or rest of the house.

My sleep pattern is all messed up! Got tired really early, slept for a few hours, now 3AM, actually, looking at the day it is (Spring forward) actual time, is 4AM.

Fixed the watch!

Knowing I will not be back in bed for a while, dressed in robe, with Glock 19, loaded, in first pocket available, cell phone in the other pocket.

Where we live, home invasion, not very likely, but possible. Flash light next to LapTop. One on bed side table. Glock 19 will be back to that same table when I hit the sheets again.

Thinking Paranoia? Am I? At 77 YOA, I got to be alive still, with the thought process I have. So why change now?

Her side of the bed,Glock 19(chambered),my side of the bed M&P and Rem 870 both chambered with safety on the shotgun.We both carry chambered.

With me there are (2) conditions..ready and unready. I keep my ccw and or house guns "ready". Guns that are locked up in the safe are stored "unready".

Fireforged, what do you consider "ready" and "unready"?

Also, that isn't paranoia Brit, that is just good caution. In my family, I would even say that it is just common sense to keep your guns close.

Back