SD weapons conditions

Carry gun (Glock 21) is always in loaded, with one in the chamber, mag not topped off.

It generally rests on my bedside table in it's carry holster when not straped to me.

A Mossberg 590 is kept ready with a mix of slugs and buckshot in the gun safe, chamber empty.

Also, a Mini-14 with the bolt foward on a factory 20-rd mag is generally ready for coyotes who decide they might want beef tartar for dinner.

When my guns are in the safe, they are unloaded and I keep the ammunition in separate ammo cans. I guess I figure if I need them for defense, SHTF anyway and someone really wants me dead.

My Glock 26 goes from the drawer of my bedside table to my holster and back to the drawer. I have a GunVault that usually stays in my car, but can come inside when we have overnight guests. It is loaded and chambered always.

My Beretta 92FS lives in the other bedside table, on my wife's side. It stays loaded and chambered, but decocked. It goes under lock and key if we have company.

Other firearms are kept unloaded and locked up.

For carry, one in the chamber but hammer is always down. Home defense is the same, keep my carry in the night stand. No other loaded weapons in the house, sure there might be a couple full mags floating around the safe but thats for more than just a common B&E.

My hd pistol always has one in the chamber, magazine inserted, in my night stand drawer. I have two other pistols loaded and ready to go in my closet. No kids at home, but if the great grandkids come over I lock my guns up.

The two in the closet are carried and I choose which one depinding on my mood at the time. I always shoot each one, including my hd pistol, to keep them limbered up.

1911 on my person: cocked and locked

1911 on the night stand: condition 2

Main battle rifle: cocked and locked whether in the safe or next to the night stand.

May God bless,
Dwight

I have two carry weapons that I sometimes rotate through and they are always loaded and ready to go. One in the chamber hammer down, safety off. I have them in the nightstand next to my side of the bed and a third in a gun safe within the nightstand. Wifey has her revolver in her nightstand. Do I think I will ever need them where I live, absolutely not, but safe today here tomorrow. The dogs will give me enough notice of an intruder that I'm not real worried, that's just where I keep the gusn before I head out again.

No little kids in my house anymore, so guns not in the safe, hand or long, are loaded and locked. BUT...I also painted some 3/8"x 1/8" neodymium magnets bright red and stuck them on the rear of the slides of all loaded guns that cannot be ignored, just to remind me of the fact they are ready to rock.

When a serious situation arises, my belief is that seconds can matter.

Remington 870, in the closet, next to bed, full tube, nothing in chamber, safety on.

The sound of a shotgun chambering a round is a sound no intruder ever wants to hear!

Always have a round in the chamber. My CCW, home defense guns, other guns I may carry that are in my carry rotation, my AR-15. I always have a gun on me at all times and the rest are always locked away. But some chambered.

My edc glock 30 full mag +1 on night stand in holster, ar 28 in mag +1 safety on next to dark side of bed, 870 7 in tube +1 safety on in bathroom. Full mag next to g30 and ar and box of turkey loads with 870.

I like the idea of having more than one gun for self defense like some here have mentioned. I am stationed in California, so they have a 10 round magazine limit. I keep my gun at 10+1, but I worry that its not enough sometimes. Obviously this is really situational, but I think it is rational to want every edge I can get on an intruder.

Cocked and locked in a holster attached to my bed.

Long guns in storage have magazines loaded none in the chamber.

This is due to the remote location and need to protect livestock from predators.

Depending on the threat, coyote vs mountain lion or bear, I have the proper weapon ready for the threat. Merely chamber a round and I'm good to go. Really do not want to face a bear with a 223. Do not need the 338 win mag for a coyote or feral dog.

The sound of a shotgun chambering a round is a sound no intruder ever wants to hear!

That may be. But any intruder in my house will only hear the safety clicking off. I don't want to take any chances with fumbling the first (and possibly only) shot.

Many don't consider they may not be able to hold the shotgun upright when the need arises. If it's held with the port down when you shuck it the shell may well wind up on the floor instead of the chamber.

Why wouldn't you just hold it parallel to the ground?

EDIT: DOH, because you may be injured. Not enough coffee at the time.

Last edited:
So now Bigg Sis has all of your IP addresses with your names and physical addresses, as well as where you keep your guns and what condition they are in. You now have your own file at DHS. Smile, you're on candid camera. Just kidding.(I hope) All my weapons have magazines loaded, safety on. I keep it consistent.

ronl, I should hope not. Either way, I don't see how knowing that you have a gun locked, cocked, and ready to rock right next to you would help at all.

Also, interesting comments about the shotgun loading/chambering.

I have kids, so I keep my carry gun, M&P9c is holstered in a mini vault on my nightstand at all times when I'm not carrying it; it's always full mag inserted, chamber loaded. My G17 is in the same condition, but in a holster in my gun safe. I don't feel comfortable laying my striker fired weapons ready to go without covering the trigger.

My M4 LE is mag inserted, closed bolt, chamber empty safety off; in my safe

My Mossberg 590A1 is tube loaded, chamber empty, safety off

Last edited:
Back